• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing a wedding suit

skyace888

Reaction score
Hello all!

Getting married this December and would like to purchase a nice suit as opposed to renting one or wearing my older grey Hugo Boss one. Was thinking a European brand or custom/MTM option in a blue color. Here are my notes so far:

Liked this suit but it's cotton and I would prefer wool. https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/product/corneliani-academy-solid-suit-0400087524323.html.

Saw a decent Armani one but I've read that Armani quality is questionable long-term.

I live in South Florida and was planning on visiting these stores:

Cesare Attolini
Kiton
Artigiano

Also saw that https://www.markrussell.co/ does custom suits and has excellent reviews.

So many options! Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

rjc149

Reaction score
My condolences on getting married.

Do you have a budget in mind? How often will you be wearing the suit, or will this be a one-off purchase for this one event?

PORCAMOSRL

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just wrote an article about this

We have Kiton and Cesare Attolini for good prices, hope this helps you out !

skyace888

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

No particular budget in mind. I will likely not be wearing the suit that often. Maybe a handful of times a year if even that. I dress casual for work and work from home mostly. The suit will be my primary suit for any weddings I go to later, special formal events, etc.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is your one and only suit, I would suggest a navy. Sounds like your primary purpose will be weddings (and funerals- you didn't mention, but that's the other standard). Probably the most versatile suit color. I would suggest steering clear of the narrow lapels that are the current fad - I suspect it may subside - standard lapels are still quite common and they've been around for decades more I suspect. For weddings I like the look of lighter blue or grey - the challenge is they're not as appropriate at funerals which will be your other reason for wearing the suit over the next 15 years. The biggest thing is getting the suit properly tailored. Tailoring offered by stores has gone down hill quite a bit in the last 25 years (since suit sales have also gone down hill). I can't speak for the stores you're considering but it's almost a guarantee you'll want more than just the sleeves, waist and hem (which is what most stores will say you need) done to make the suit fit well. Given it's your wedding you might want to find an independent tailor and allow for the time to buy and take it to him/her.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

No particular budget in mind. I will likely not be wearing the suit that often. Maybe a handful of times a year if even that. I dress casual for work and work from home mostly. The suit will be my primary suit for any weddings I go to later, special formal events, etc.

I'm also in the same "getting married" boat. I actually commissioned a bespoke navy suit in a 13oz. twill British fabric for mine. Then again, the weather in New York is different that South Florida. I think it may have been a bit overkill especially with the pandemic impeding fittings and travel to the UK.

If this is the one suit to rule them all, based on your climate, I would suggest a MTM suit from a reputable shop. If you have the budget for Attolini and Kiton, they have good reputations, so go for it. I would suggest getting something made in a hi-twist/fresco fabric (eg. Huddersfield Fine Worsted Fresco, Smith's Finmeresco, Holland & Sherry Crispaire, Loro Piana etc) in a solid color--maybe a darker med grey. The fabric will not wrinkle and also has a very open weave that would keep you comfortable.

skyace888

Reaction score
Went to a local menswear shop and trying to decide on MTM with Gabo or Orazio Luciano with a blue fabric I selected. Gabo is apparently hybrid construction and Orazio is full canvas all hand made. Any preference?

papado

Reaction score
Went to a local menswear shop and trying to decide on MTM with Gabo or Orazio Luciano with a blue fabric I selected. Gabo is apparently hybrid construction and Orazio is full canvas all hand made. Any preference?

I'm a fan of Orazio as I like the cuts of their jackets on me best. If it fits you well with only minor adjustments needed MTM then I would choose them.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best to go with whichever fits you best off the rack (I believe both have OTR models?). The fewer adjustments to their block pattern, the better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads