• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing a versatile suede shoe

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, heres my question:

Which of these options would get me the most versatility for my clothing options.
I have predominately dark striped suits, charcoal, browns , navy. I would like to try a suede shoe to go with these suits.

1. Is it better to go with the darker suede?

2. Wingtip or monkstrap? (cap toes don't seem to be catching my eye)
Would the wingtip look dressier given my stripe suite options?

3. I wear a 9D US, given the maker, what size should I be looking at since I have no prior experience with this brand.
These are Alfred Sargent from Pediwear, (102 -106 GBP excl. vat)

Any input or better deals other than lurking on ebay would be appreciated.

a.Woking
b.Reigate
c.Euston

Thanks for any input,
dprof

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor

a.Woking
b.Reigate
c.Euston

Thanks for any input,
dprof

I would go with the Euston, Reigate, then Woking, in that order. but its really up to you.

horton

Reaction score
Here is a 9 shoe at virtual clothes horse that you'll probably either love or hate.

4206.JPG

grapevinehill was carrying brown suede shoes from polo (CJs and other levels of quality) that were worth watching too.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The semi-brogue with a punched cap and medallion is the classic suede oxford. The choice between a laced shoe and an oxford should be determined by how you expect to wear the shoe. The monk is better suited to odd jackets and less formal suits than the semi-brogue.

The most useful shade, in my experience, is a mid-brown. What Edward Green calls tobacco.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
Here is a 9 shoe at virtual clothes horse that you'll probably either love or hate.

4206.JPG

Is that a Vass?

I Keed, I keed.

Oh, and design professor, stick with the darker ones for your purposes. Stick with the lace ups unless you are a professor or in design. The lighter suede shoes look better with the lighter colored suit cloths. harmonize. Unless youre looking for that effect, people staring at our shoes may not be what you want.

OK, OK I just never liked the medium to light colored suede shoes (except for cream or ivory) they look phony. Again, in summer with a tan poplin suit, ginger suede is acceptable but the shades from milk chocolate to dark chocolate are better for the darker and heavier weight suit cloths.

That monkstrap pictured above is probably the last acceptable shade before we hit summer. It will oxidize over time.

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Is that a Vass?

I Keed, I keed.

Oh, and design professor, stick with the darker ones for your purposes. Stick with the lace ups unless you are a professor or in design. The lighter suede shoes look better with the lighter colored suit cloths. harmonize. Unless youre looking for that effect, people staring at our shoes may not be what you want.

OK, OK I just never liked the medium to light colored suede shoes (except for cream or ivory) they look phony. Again, in summer with a tan poplin suit, ginger suede is acceptable but the shades from milk chocolate to dark chocolate are better for the darker and heavier weight suit cloths.

That monkstrap pictured above is probably the last acceptable shade before we hit summer. It will oxidize over time.

It's one of the higher end Sutor Mantellasi. VCH actually has others pixs of same.

Lance actually has a few other size 9 suedes (including lighter cream-like colors) but I think they're even more adventurous.

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Nice! that's where I'm wanting to go with this. Looks like a darker brown wingtip.

You wearing a suede belt?

Yep. Nothing special a J&M belt. I think it is the "michum" on there site.

Gene

pkincy

Reaction score
I think GVH may be out of his Polo shoes, but for the longest time they were the thing to get from a value perspective.

I paid $157 for my Alton's. Won't wear them til winter but that will be here some day.

Perry

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my experience, particularly with the suits you described, you would be best served by a chocolate-brown, suede captoe.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like these
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

tramezzarw9.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads