• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choose fabric for first sportcoat

abrocketsfan

Reaction score
photoesj.jpg

Currently I have two suits from TaT: navy and dark grey PoW ... I don't wear suits or sportcoats often but would like to have a sportcoat for the occasional dinner or party.

Given that I may not purchase another for some time, I'd like to get something that is versatile and classic.

I've narrowed it down to these five choices and honestly they all look great to me, but I'd like some help in choosing just one fabric...

FYI I have a medium dark complexion and I'm about 5'7" ...

Thanks for the help!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like number 4.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I like 4 as well. But at the risk of stating the obvious: As you're considering, don't just look at the cloth, but at the colors in each and how they will relate to what else you have in your wardrobe. That's the part we can't help you with.

newtrane

Reaction score
Could you please let us know the merchant and cloth # for number 4?

Many thanks.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 and 3 look like rejected suit cloths trying to reinvent themselves as jackets. 4 looks like something you might see on a Balkan goat herder wearing his Sunday best. 5 had potential but they blew the color hues.

Although it looks more like a country suit cloth, 1 is the least offensive partly because it is "traditional" looking and partly because the cloth is obscured by shadow.

jcc123

Reaction score
We need more choices.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go balls in & get complete suits made in all 5.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 is nice but I have seen it on many people before so I would go with something diffrent like 4 it is also a nice pattern but not as common as 1.

southbound35

Reaction score
None really fire me up. But, if I was to buy 2, I would go with 1 (fall-ish) and 5 (spring-ish). If I was to buy one, which seems to be what you want to do, I'd go with 4 (more vesatile).

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those pics are just awful! Better pics might change people's opinions drastically.

1 looks the most versatile. I find it harder to match winter clothes with my brown sport coat, compared to the navy and grays. YMMV.

I have 3 TaT sport coats: tweed, Prince of Wales and a solid flannel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads