• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choice of Three New York Hotels

dcdapper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
+ do you use a credit card that offers a free upgrade in room when you book using the card? that's a nice bonus, esp when staying in NYC (i.e. AMEX does this on some of their cards); may offer you an upgrade at the waldorf.

+ if $300-plus is in the budget, suggest you think about going with a hotel in that range. the last thing I wanted in manhattan was a poor experience at a hotel when I stayed there.

you can stay 3 blocks from wall street for $368 plus tax (Ritz Carlton battery park), or I'd highly recommend the Jumeirah Essex House on Central Park for $359 a night plus taxes, literally steps away from my favorite places in the city (only a few doors down from the ritz carlton central park hotel, which is very pricey but in the perfect location). I took a look at the Jumeriah when we walked past it in december, looked great to me!

really just depends what part of the city you want to stay in, i guess. I stayed just off times square at the westin TS, great hotel with wonderful views but the location was ****** and no cabs constantly around like the central park hotels have, etc.

be sure to take your girl by cab to Max Brenner for an late lunch or early dinner, get the chocolate fondue dessert. awesome place, lots a fun. don't forget to grab lunch at the City Bakery, too. Damn, I miss new york-- I guess Bergdorf, Barneys, and Saks will have to do without me for now
smile.gif

Thank you for the tips. I'm leaning toward the Essex. The price is the same as the Waldorf, but I think it has been renovated recently.

I'll check with AMEX about whether I have the upgrade feature.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good luck, and have a great trip! again, the Jumeriah hotel is in a great location, you can walk to Bergdorf in about 60 seconds, Saks is an easy 15 minute walk (if that), and you'll have easy access to walk Madison avenue to barneys, Lobb, and other great stores of the city.

Not to mention walking out the front door, crossing the street to central park for a stroll with a good cigar. damn, what a city!

One of my favorite places for dinner is the 21 Club, a classic that makes you feel like you're dining out in the 1930s-- but I've always wanted to take a girl to one of Daniel Boulud's restaurants.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just stayed at Le Parker Meridien (at 6th & 56th) last week, and recommend it. The rooms are nice, the staff friendly and helpful, and there are lots of things very close to it. The burger joint downstairs has excellent burgers, though one could do better than their fries and shakes.

--Andre

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I just stayed at Le Parker Meridien (at 6th & 56th) last week, and recommend it. The rooms are nice, the staff friendly and helpful, and there are lots of things very close to it. The burger joint downstairs has excellent burgers, though one could do better than their fries and shakes.

--Andre

The breakfast at Le Parker Meridien is great, too.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good luck, and have a great trip! again, the Jumeriah hotel is in a great location, you can walk to Bergdorf in about 60 seconds, Saks is an easy 15 minute walk (if that), and you'll have easy access to walk Madison avenue to barneys, Lobb, and other great stores of the city.

Not to mention walking out the front door, crossing the street to central park for a stroll with a good cigar. damn, what a city!

One of my favorite places for dinner is the 21 Club, a classic that makes you feel like you're dining out in the 1930s-- but I've always wanted to take a girl to one of Daniel Boulud's restaurants.

I stayed at the Essex 2 or 3 years ago before it changed ownership. As Foxx states, the location was perfect for a quick walk to my favorite shops, Central Park, and many fine restaurants (Bernardins, Per Se, Jean Georges, Daniels, etc).

dcdapper

Reaction score

I can't wait. I've booked the Jumeriah Essex House and am really looking forward to all the places you mentioned. Thanks so much for your suggestions. You just can't beat that location.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Priceline. I've never paid more than $150/night to stay in a 4-star in NY. Takes about a week of 15-minute work per day to get your bid accepted.
From my latest NYC extended weekend food-a-thon: Daniel is excellent. Gotham is excellent as well, top notch service, probably best overall meal I've ever had. Try Baldoria, it is casual and the food is great. Morimoto was really disappointing. Quality sashimi was the only redeeming part. Gramercy Tavern -- best breakfast, ever. Oranges squeezed into champagne and incredible sausage.

Kaga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
Morimoto was really disappointing.
I am very sorry to hear that.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Hopefully the cigar will cover up the smell of horse **** all over the place.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
Since you are staying at the Essex, you should try BLT Market (in the Ritz Carlton) for brunch of lunch and Quality Meats for dinner. Also, head down to Union Square and hit Irving Mill, East 15, and Japonais - or go even further down to the LES and try Allen & Delancy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads