• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

choice of dress for an interview

kregg32

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
My son has an interview for the Homeland Security Boarder Patrol. He said he wanted to wear a suit but I was wondering if that might be a little too much for such a job. I suggested a conservative jacket and pants and no tie. What do you think?
 

AlmostSmart

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
125
Reaction score
7
Your son can't go wrong wearing a suit, unless the interview has expressed that one is not necessary.
 

dks202

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
154
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by kregg32
My son has an interview for the Homeland Security Boarder Patrol. He said he wanted to wear a suit but I was wondering if that might be a little too much for such a job. I suggested a conservative jacket and pants and no tie. What do you think?

Such a job?

A conserative suit with tie is totally appropriate, just not black. Try navy or medium grey.
 

landshark

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2010
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
56
Originally Posted by AlmostSmart
Your son can't go wrong wearing a suit, unless the interview has expressed that one is not necessary.

This
 

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
2,376
Reaction score
5
You can never go wrong with a suit for an interview unless it is for a burger joint or a gorcery maybe, perhaps he could loose the jacket if need be but I would deffinately go with a tie.
 

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
5,328
Reaction score
580
Navy or grey suit with tie and black/brown leather shoes. End of story.
 

KingOfTheForum

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
274
Reaction score
0
I'd suggest that he wear a suit. It doesn't hurt to be the only person who's wearing a suit during the interview process, but it could look bad to be the only guy who's not wearing one.
 

kregg32

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Thanks for all your advice. I will show these to him. I'm not saying any of you are wrong at all but is there no valid argument to overdoing what you wear to an interview? Don't some say dress for the job you are applying for? I once had an interview with a major RR for the switch repair crew. This is just grunt construction-concrete work, jackhammers etc. There were two guys there in suits, I wore some Dockers and a polo shirt, most of the rest wore jeans and whatever. I wondered if the suit guys did the right thing. By "such a job" I meant dress for Boarder Patrol is Glocks, automatic rifles, pepper spray and desert camo clothing. Thanks again!




Originally Posted by AlmostSmart
Your son can't go wrong wearing a suit, unless the interview has expressed that one is not necessary.

Originally Posted by dks202
Such a job?

A conserative suit with tie is totally appropriate, just not black. Try navy or medium grey.


Originally Posted by kregg32
My son has an interview for the Homeland Security Boarder Patrol. He said he wanted to wear a suit but I was wondering if that might be a little too much for such a job. I suggested a conservative jacket and pants and no tie. What do you think?

Originally Posted by bowtielover
You can never go wrong with a suit for an interview unless it is for a burger joint or a gorcery maybe, perhaps he could loose the jacket if need be but I would deffinately go with a tie.

Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Navy or grey suit with tie and black/brown leather shoes. End of story.

Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
I'd suggest that he wear a suit. It doesn't hurt to be the only person who's wearing a suit during the interview process, but it could look bad to be the only guy who's not wearing one.
 

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
1,406
Reaction score
9
Originally Posted by kregg32
Thanks for all your advice. I will show these to him. I'm not saying any of you are wrong at all but is there no valid argument to overdoing what you wear to an interview? Don't some say dress for the job you are applying for? I once had an interview with a major RR for the switch repair crew. This is just grunt construction-concrete work, jackhammers etc. There were two guys there in suits, I wore some Dockers and a polo shirt, most of the rest wore jeans and whatever. I wondered if the suit guys did the right thing. By "such a job" I meant dress for Boarder Patrol is Glocks, automatic rifles, pepper spray and desert camo clothing. Thanks again!

I've seen a lot of guys not get decent paying jobs in oil and gas because they were too formally dressed. Sucks for them but it's the truth
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

  • Crewneck sweater

  • Turtleneck sweater

  • Long-sleeve polo

  • Vest

  • I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
454,864
Messages
9,853,861
Members
205,509
Latest member
Bake_love
Top