• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocolate-covered strawberries

delirium

Reaction score
I need some tips on making chocolate-covered strawberries!

When they came out, the chocolate layer was often not hard or at least not completely solid.

I think this was due to keeping them in the fridge the whole time, and I've read to only keep them in the fridge temporarily to harden.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came out? I usually make them by melting the chocolate au bain marie, dipping cold strawberries into them and perhaps sprinkle them with sugar. The cold strawberrie should be enough to harden te chocolate..

delirium

Reaction score
When I took them out of the fridge, they were not completely solid.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably the kind of chocolate you use, the less pure chocolate becomes the lower the melting point i believe..

Lady Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were the strawberries dry? I find if there is any water remaining on them from washing the chocolate will go funny and won't set.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they're for you, that's gay.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
To et good chocolate-covered strawberries, there's a lot more involved than just melting the chocolate and then dipping something into it.

You've got to temper the chocolate, rather than melt it. Rather than getting into the molecular **** behind it (I'm sure you could wiki or google it if you're interested), i'll keep it short and say that chocolate contains cocoa butter, which is a fat that forms crystals. Tempering chocolate is the process of breaking up these randomly sized crystals and getting all the crystals to a uniform size. Tempering chocolate is the only way to get a crunch and a snap out of chocolate. If you just melt it and then dip it, you'll develop streaky chocolate that will be dull.

Anyway, Here is a pretty simply guide to tempering chocolate.

Good luck and happy dipping.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
To et good chocolate-covered strawberries, there's a lot more involved than just melting the chocolate and then dipping something into it.

You've got to temper the chocolate, rather than melt it. Rather than getting into the molecular **** behind it (I'm sure you could wiki or google it if you're interested), i'll keep it short and say that chocolate contains cocoa butter, which is a fat that forms crystals. Tempering chocolate is the process of breaking up these randomly sized crystals and getting all the crystals to a uniform size. Tempering chocolate is the only way to get a crunch and a snap out of chocolate. If you just melt it and then dip it, you'll develop streaky chocolate that will be dull.

Anyway, Here is a pretty simply guide to tempering chocolate.

Good luck and happy dipping.

The smartsiest, everest.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score

Really don't have it too bad when you're working with pre-made chocolate, since those specific temperatures for crystal formation have already been reached.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
Really don't have it too bad when you're working with pre-made chocolate, since those specific temperatures for crystal formation have already been reached.

Yeah, you buy chocolate tempered. The problem is, when you melt the chocolate to do the dipping, you mess with the tempering and it causes the crystals to reform, so you have the same problem you would have had if you used non-tempered chocolate.

delirium

Reaction score
Yeah, you buy chocolate tempered. The problem is, when you melt the chocolate to do the dipping, you mess with the tempering and it causes the crystals to reform, so you have the same problem you would have had if you used non-tempered chocolate.

Thanks, I did read about tempering.

How can one tell if the chocolate is correctly tempered?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delirium
Thanks, I did read about tempering.

How can one tell if the chocolate is correctly tempered?

Really experienced people (read, not me) can tell from the looks. Your best bet is probably to dip a little bit of parchment paper in it and give it 5-8 minutes to set, then see if the dried chocolate on the wax paper is the consistency/glossiness/as snappable you'd want it on your strawberries.

delirium

Reaction score
so the chocolate had a good evenness and consistency, so it should've just been tempered more?

Casey

Reaction score
I just bought a box of melting chocolate for an occasion once and the chocolate hardens in a minute or two without needing refrigeration. I don't know what Ghirardelli did to the chocolate but it's an easy way out.

lazar89

Reaction score
Here is a guide how to make a successful batch of chocolate-dipped straberries.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads