• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ChiTown Restaurants (and a hotel)

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to Pitchfork Fest with my brother and we need some good places to eat as well as a nice place to stay. I've amazingly never set foot in Chicago. I guess D.C. as close as it is along with my frequent visits to NYC kind of made it a moot point in my mind (what else do you need in a city?). I know nothing of the food. I know my brother wants to go to Pizzeria Uno for the novelty alone. Other than that, I'm lost.

Also, can anyone recommend a good hotel that doesn't have outrageous rates? I was on the brink of booking a room at the House of Blues (which would have been about a grand for three nights) but stopped myself. I recently stayed at the Gershwin in NYC (remember that thread?), and it was an awesome experience. The hotel was really trendy (and full of models) coupled with the fact it was just over $100 a night. Now, I'm aware I probably won't get that price in Chicago, but I want a similar experience; I try to avoid chains at all costs. And this is all. Hope you guys can help.

P.S. - An obvious one for the SF crew: any good clothing shops? My favorite stateside shop is Odin and I've been buying a lot of Japanese streetwear off of coldrice, if that gives you an idea of my style. Also, any vinyl-heads know if it's worth a trip to Rotofugi?

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Hey guys,

I'm going to Pitchfork Fest with my brother and we need some good places to eat as well as a nice place to stay. I've amazingly never set foot in Chicago. I guess D.C. as close as it is along with my frequent visits to NYC kind of made it a moot point in my mind (what else do you need in a city?). I know nothing of the food. I know my brother wants to go to Pizzeria Uno for the novelty alone. Other than that, I'm lost.

Pizziera Due is the sister to Uno, and is considered the better of the two. Go ahead and be a snob about this with your bro.

http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/3667364/

As for the rest, whaddya wanna eat, how much do you want to spend, and where will you be?

Chicago is a pretty big city, so if you're going to be in a specific area, it will make a difference.

Originally Posted by jonglover
Also, can anyone recommend a good hotel that doesn't have outrageous rates? I try to avoid chains at all costs. And this is all. Hope you guys can help.

If it weren't for the chain thing, I'd suggest the Ohio Street Holiday Inn. If you're going to be in Lincoln Park, you should check out the Belden as you can sometimes get some excellent rates.

http://www.beldenstratford.com/home.htm

aybojs

Reaction score
I started a thread on Chicago restaurants a few weeks earlier and got some good suggestions. You might want to check that.

The two basics I would say for Chicago would be deep dish/stuffed pizza and steak. Pizzeria Uno/Duo was mentioned, but Giordano's, Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, and to a lesser extent, Eduardo's, are also classic spots to get Chicago pizza.

As far as steak goes, the big places are Gibson's, Morton's, and the Chicago Chophouse. Gibson's has a very ritzy club/lounge atmosphere in addition to great steaks, while the Chophouse is more "old-fashioned." I haven't been to Morton's since it's a chain I can get at home, but the Chicago location is the original and supposedly very good too. I'd avoid Gene and Georgetti, an old school steakhouse which has a great historical reputation, but is now generally considered to be coasting on its past glory with less than stellar, but very expensive, food and rude/snobby service towards non-regulars and non-celebrities.

charlief1975

Reaction score
I would recommend Japonais, amazing asian food.

Sushi: Sushi Wabi
Mexican Adobo Grill

Also, if you have time check out Second City, it's located right next to Adobo Grill.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For hotels, go to Hotwire and Priceline and find any 4* near where you want to be. Since I started using that I've never paid over $80/night for a 4*.

Get bidding tips at "better bidding" website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads