• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chippewa Boots

Macready

Reaction score
I used to like Doc Martens in my younger years. But nowadays I don't like the fact that their made in China, and I don't really like the fact that Doc's yellow stitching and sole scream "these are Doc Martens". There are a ton of boot threads that I've read about other good boot manufacturers but I've only come across a few much about Chippewas. Has anyone had a good experience with them? I have been thinking about getting these boots:

http://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-Mens-...=pd_sbs_shoe_2

I appreciate any input on this matter!

Mudhiker

Reaction score
I have two pairs of the 6 inch (dark brown and tan) as well as the pull on that is a similar style. Great boots, very comfortable, I wear them every weekday.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the LLBean Katahdin Engineer Boot which is made by Chippewa and I believe is the 6" version. I've only had them a few months but haven't had any issues with them. They were super comfortable right out of the box which was a good thing. They have quickly become the only casual footwear I've been wearing since the fall. I also wear them to work quite a bit - I work in a pretty casual office and these go great with cords or khaki pants.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macready
I used to like Doc Martens in my younger years. But nowadays I don't like the fact that their made in China, and I don't really like the fact that Doc's yellow stitching and sole scream "these are Doc Martens". There are a ton of boot threads that I've read about other good boot manufacturers but I've only come across a few much about Chippewas. Has anyone had a good experience with them? I have been thinking about getting these boots:

http://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-Mens-...=pd_sbs_shoe_2

I appreciate any input on this matter!

Yes, I have these and the 6" version (also in rodeo tan color, the ligher shade) and they are awesome. Tremendous value and craftsmanship is pretty good. Made in USA, gotta love that. For sizing, they size the same as Red Wing for me. Pick em up, you'll thank yourself.

Oh and here's the tan color:
CHP-20067.jpg

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of the "Arctic" (waterproof, insulated) 6" boots and I absolutely love them. I doubt I will ever need to buy another pair of snow/work boots. They are built like a tank and extremely comfortable. Highly recommended!

Macready

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! The 8" ones that I'm thinking of getting seem fairly similar to the engineer boot that several of you endorse, but it just has a some extra eyelets (I prefer 8" boots) so I think it's a go. Here's a pic of the ones I'm thinking of getting if you don't want to click the link above.
41FDjIgSkHL._SL250_.jpg

Doctor

Reaction score
Can any of you Chippewa owners shed light on the sizing?

I usually get a size 14E in brands like Alden. Unfortunately the Chippewa boot I want only comes in 14EE or 14D. What are my chances of getting away with a 14D? I *hate* narrow shoes, but I read somewhere that the Chip's may run a bit large.

Have to say they look brilliant in terms of aesthetics and craftsmanship.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized mine up one, since I pretty much always wear them with thick, heavy boot socks.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I have two pairs of this brand and they are fine boots. Also, made in USA, but it always pays to check with each model at each purchase.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
Can any of you Chippewa owners shed light on the sizing?

I usually get a size 14E in brands like Alden. Unfortunately the Chippewa boot I want only comes in 14EE or 14D. What are my chances of getting away with a 14D? I *hate* narrow shoes, but I read somewhere that the Chip's may run a bit large.

Have to say they look brilliant in terms of aesthetics and craftsmanship.

A tad wide, but not enough if you plan on wearing a heavy sock and you at a true "E." I am a 9D and find them just a little wide but bearable.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those look excellent. Nice price point too.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Dec. 25, 2010: Santa gives Johdus Fanfoozal a pair of Chippewa 25290 and a jar of Sno-seal.

Dec. 26, 2010: Fanfoozal has to abandon his car 2.5 miles from home during the great Northeast Blizzard.

Wearing his Christmas gift with his other Christmas gift generously slathered on it, Fanfoozal trudges through the unshoveled, unplowed streets of Hudson County to make his way home.

His feet remain dry.

So remember kids:

25291.jpg

+

sno-seal-01.jpg

works.

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
A tad wide, but not enough if you plan on wearing a heavy sock and you at a true "E." I am a 9D and find them just a little wide but bearable.

That's tough then... If they're a tad wide then a 14EE will surely be too wide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads