• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chippewa 20065 Classic Boot

burgerkong

Reaction score
Just got my pair yesterday, been wearing it all day today. I am normally a size 12 in Nike Dunk's (SB/non-SB), but after reading the LL Bean Katahdin thread I sized down half a size (due to the similarities between the two boots) and they fit PERFECTLY (no slop anywhere, I wore mid-weight merino hiking socks today since it was chilly out and I was perfectly comfortable lengthwise and width wise). Impressions? Amazing, considering I got these for $120 (Bass Pro) and all sizes were readily available (as opposed to the OOS status of the Katahdin's). They didn't require much break in and were comfortable out of the box. One tiny niggle I have is with the LACES. Man, the stock ones are pretty much metal wires due to their wax contents. Rest assured, I have some Wolverine 1000 Mile laces coming, as well as some latigo leather laces (for the record, the stock laces were 54" long, I personally think they could be shorter, you can probably get away with 48" long laces). Due to the Goodyear welt construction, I can easily replace the stock Vibram Gumlite soles when they wear out. Best part of all? Made in the USA!

I was on the edge between these and their 6" Street Engineer (25290) boot, and finally settled on these. The heel lift on the latter is ridiculous due to the extra height of the lugs, and I feel that I can get away with the Stockbridge's design (fairly deep treads IMO) for Canadian winters. One more thing to add, while not cracked, I think these would benefit from some oiling (mink oil perhaps, or some Obenauf LP). Waxing will darken it too much for raw denim IMO, was tempted to Sno-Seal it.

Quote:

Some pictures:

Link to higher res: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51597184@N03/sets/72157628242551835/

Brendan

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good review. These Chips are without a doubt a great value.

burgerkong

Reaction score
Thanks fellas, was worried since these are obviously not everyone's cup of tea here since they aren't really high end and such.

Brendan

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone needs a solid pair of s**tkickers. I love my pair. Though, they're a gateway drug to nicer boots. Watch out!

burgerkong

Reaction score
Just putting it out here, I got my 1K laces through a friend, but ask Wolverine and see what they say.

Brendan

burgerkong

Reaction score
Slight preference, I actually prefer the traditional Vibram rubber soles over the gumlite, it is grippier.

rossi

Reaction score
What is the opinion on the steel toed version? I have a hard time making up my mind between steel toe or not. Can you see the transition from the toe plate, like on many safety shoes?

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about how these handle a Canadian Winter. Might look into these instead of the RW IRs.

burgerkong

Reaction score
I don't think so, the sample pics Chippewa had up look identical. I also hear they're doing their own branded LL Bean Katadihn boots. They shouldn't be too bad in the winter, the center lugs are deep enough and I am going away for a few weeks anyway lol. Warm weather in Hong Kong, none of this white stuff haha.

I can't decide between flat waxed Wolverine 1K laces or leather:

Brendan

rossi

Reaction score
You mean they are also bringing out a version with toecap again? I can't find any info on this, could you tell more?
Ifso I could wait a little for it, I prefer toecap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads