1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chippewa 20065 Classic Boot

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by burgerkong, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Tough decision for me too. Finally settled on a pair in chocolate brown.

2. bazh

bazh Member

my chocolate pair got dried out as I'd worn it through rains, I guess it's time for some conditioning treatment but I still don't know what to use, so any advise everyone ? :D

3. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

I typically brush the boots clean, condition them with Lexol, allow it to dry, and then follow up with Obenauf's or SnoSeal.

4. dixonmanor

dixonmanor Senior member

I've got a pair in the Rodeo Tan as my work boots. Picked up on Amazon for $100 after my Red Wing Work Chukkas finally gave the ghost after 5 years of bar/restaurant work. The Rodeo Tan is quite a bit darker than the various online pics, and darken up considerably after some wear and a few coats of Obenauf's LP. As for waterproofness, mine haven't leaked on me yet. I work in a high volume bar, and there is water and citrus EVERYWHERE. The soles are nice and grippy, and with some LP, they seem to be damn near water proof.

5. ProfessorShak

ProfessorShak Senior member

I wear 9D for all my dress shoes. My 8.5D Red Wing GT's fit great with my athletic socks and tight with the really thick socks. I want to get the Chocolate Apache but not sure which size would work for me.

6. mixProtocol

I don't know if this'll help you, but, I wear 8.5D in Allen Edmonds 5-Last and 4-Last, as well as Reeboks and New Balance. My size for the Chippewa 6" boot was the same: 8.5D.

7. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

My pair of Chippewa boots arrived in the mail last week, but I wanted to change the laces out. Do you remember what laces you bought? I ordered a pair for the Wolverine 1000 Mile boot off therightlace (46"), but they're too short. The laces that came with the boots were too short too though, so maybe I'm lacing them wrong.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  8. mixProtocol

Unless you're trying to wrap the laces around the back of then ankle, 46" should be plenty...

9. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

I try to avoid affectations like that. This is my first pair of boots, so I could be lacing them wrong, but I doubt it.

10. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

Maybe you could post a photo. They should be long enough. Like burgerkong's photo above, you might want to skip that top eyelet.

11. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

I don't know how you all manage to get away with 45" laces. They're way too short for me, but I found some flat waxed laces on Amazon 59" long that should work.

Also, for what it's worth, if you ever order from therightlace.com and receive an email saying your payment was declined, ignore it. I've already received two laces from them and have three more on the way (all ordered with separate credit cards).

12. mixProtocol

So over the past year these have become my go-to shoe... I'm guessing I wear them at least four times a week and the soles are starting to show some wear. I found that amazon's running a 20% sale on shoes/boots, which brings the price on the chocolate apache ones down to like $90 after the discount code (similar to what I paid for my first pair). I'm thinking it might be time to pick up a second set or maybe grab the tan GQ boots (and then maybe hit them with some Fiebing's dye).

Has anyone dyed these before, and if so, have pics to share? I had good luck using Meltonian creme on my first pair (see pics below), but would love to try something different on a second...

Note: the color of the top two pics isn't quite accurate, they're more cordovan/eggplant than brown:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thoughts? Do I go for a second pair of Chippewas or try to widen my options with something completely different?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  13. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Those seem to have held up pretty well for being worn so much.

14. mixProtocol

Erg... I should have mentioned that those pics were from the first week that I had them (when I first applied the meltonian) -- I'll upload some current pics within a day or so. Still, they've definitely held up well -- there's just some creasing in the leather (and the soles are showing some wear...).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013