• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chipped MOP Buttons

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents..

1. FIT Consult a tailor. Determine if the jacket can be properly tailored to improve the fit and the cost to do so. An ill-fitting suit is worthless notwithstanding the bargain price paid to the reseller or the original MSRP at the store.

2. CRACKED OR CHIPPED BUTTONS I seriously doubt that all those buttons chipped and cracked in transit. We receive thousands of suit jackets and sport coats through the mail every year and rarely do we encounter chipped or cracked buttons. If we do see such buttons, the client typically tells us that the buttons were damaged by a previous cleaner and requests that we replace them.

3. LAPEL ROLL A true quality cleaner like Meurice or Hallak in NYC (not the cleaner across the street or around the corner) will know how to fix the lapel roll. I'm not sure why you would expect Isaia to fix the lapel for a sport coat purchased online from an internet reseller.

SUMMARY

If the fit is good (or has been corrected by your tailor), find a true quality cleaner who can (a) clean the coat for you (wearing a sport coat purchased from a reseller that has not been cleaned before you wear it, is simply unhygienic), (b) hand press the coat (and in the process, fix the roll) and (c) supply and replace those MOP buttons at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Yes. Tremendously. I am satisfied with the fit, so the only thing left to do is visit the cleaners. There's a Hallak near me in Hackensack so I'll look them up.

Keach

Reaction score
What's the regular price for MOP buttons?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads