• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chipp / Winston Tailors?

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought two Chipp ties (one from SF, a grenadine, another off of eBay, matka silk) and I'm gonna pick them up later today. Time to see what all the fuss is about!

colco

Reaction score
@Ezio , hope you enjoy the ties.
I have found the Chipp grenadines to be hit and miss. I only have two left, one because I don't think I could sell it (significant enough wear), the other because it's a pretty forest green color. Also, it was made (I believe) to different spec than the other's I had bought previously and ties a better knot.
I've moved away from fina weaves and prefer the chunkier grossa's, though I think my grenadine buying days are behind me regardless.

The matka silk are awesome, I've got a french blue and a burnt orange color.

Going to buy a madder or two this autumn.

IlPennacchio

Reaction score
I phoned on Friday to ask about commissioning a sport coat, and Paul told me that Winston Tailors ceased operations when his cutter retired. I didn't pry, but I suspect that the pandemic made it too risky for a 90(!) year old man to continue plying a trade that requires close proximity to strangers. Paul told me that he personally hasn't been to Manhattan since March. Chipp Neckwear is still in operation though, continuing to sell astonishingly well-priced neckties.

Clarification: Paul's cutter is 90. Paul himself is 82. But still...

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad. Too bad there isn't another generation to take over the business.
The tailoring side has been de-emphasized for at least a decade as far
as I can tell. I used to be a customer for MTM and RTW in the 80s and
the 90s. When I moved to CA it was no longer practical, not getting to
NY regularly. I still have some jackets and a suit, only one of which still
fits. Their more fitted model with two vents worked perfectly for me.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad. Too bad there isn't another generation to take over the business.
The tailoring side has been de-emphasized for at least a decade as far
as I can tell. I used to be a customer for MTM and RTW in the 80s and
the 90s. When I moved to CA it was no longer practical, not getting to
NY regularly. I still have some jackets and a suit, only one of which still
fits. Their more fitted model with two vents worked perfectly for me.

I reached out a couple of weeks ago to inquiring about a blazer, Paul said to go to Izzy and LS Clothiers in NYC and just ask for something like the Chipp style, and they could sort you out.

I think LS uses a number of MTM factories for various fits, including H. Freeman in Maryland, who does have a stock 'trad' cut.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I think LS uses a number of MTM factories for various fits, including H. Freeman in Maryland, who does have a stock 'trad' cut."

Certainly worth a try. As per my comments, I never wore the "stock" trad cut. Also, at least
when I shopped there, Chipp had distinctive fabrics that one didn't see at the usual trad shops.

IlPennacchio

Reaction score
I reached out a couple of weeks ago to inquiring about a blazer, Paul said to go to Izzy and LS Clothiers in NYC and just ask for something like the Chipp style, and they could sort you out.

I think LS uses a number of MTM factories for various fits, including H. Freeman in Maryland, who does have a stock 'trad' cut.
Paul referred me to LS too

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads