1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Chipp Neckwear - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chippneckwear, Oct 7, 2016.

1. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Affiliate Vendor

Chipp Neckwear is pleased to become a Style Forum affiliate. With the exception of our knit ties which are imported from Italy, our ties are made in our NYC facility.

Our website is www.chippneckwear.com.

We have a "brick and mortar" location at 28 West 44th St in New York City. In addition to our stock line we do special projects for clubs, schools and businesses.

My greatest pleasure in the business is dealing with people - feel free to call, Email, or visit.
    Paul Winston

2. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

Welcome.

Since, with the exception of your knits, you make your own ties in NYC, have you ever considered offering custom lengths at an additional cost?

Cheers,

Ac

3. kali77

kali77 Senior Member

Welcome. I will be grabbing the Akita tie for sure, for my old girl Aiko. Any details on construction, lining, fold, tip, etc?

4. chippneckwear

We are now offering variations on our stock ties. To change the width ( Our stock width is 3 1/4") or to make a tie longer there is an additional charge of $10. Orders with variations are processed subject to availability of the cloth. When cloth arrives we cut it within a day or two. If an individual places a "custom" order when we have no cloth the order is held on file until the next arrival of cloth for the ordered tie/ties.
    If one wants a stock tie shortened we can blunt cut and bind the tie at no additional charge. If one want the tie re-cut to a point, there is a $10 charge. Most customers who want a tie shortened opt for the blunt cut. You put the narrow end through the label and pin it to your shirt with a safety pin- no one can see what you have done.
    Paul Winston
    212 687-0850

5. chippneckwear

Our ties are all lined and tipped. The construction is standard.
    Paul winston

6. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior Member

Glad to have you aboard. My "Look Closely" tie gets heavy wear in the office, especially for our heavy meeting days ;)

7. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

You seem to have an extremely narrow range with minimal choice.

8. chippneckwear

My company is quite small compared to the big guys. I do Italian Grenadine ties in 16 colors, Ancient Madder ties in 12 patterns, shantung silk in 12 colors, Matka Silk in 9 colors,knits in 9 colors, 27 novelty patterns and 87 different dog breeds. Yes, the range is narrow. My production is limited. I am too old to consider expanding. I am a good source for those looking for what I make.
    Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

9. Maximus Rex

Maximus Rex Senior Member

Just a thought--in this very competitive market, I'm surprised your ties are "standard" construction. Many discerning tie aficionados buy ties that are self-tipped and tacked, or hand rolled at the blade ends. Standard tipping is not really preferred by many.

10. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior Member

Then you should continue buying ties with cosmetic differences that nobody but discerning tie aficionado iGents notice, at a significant markup. Chipp ties, particularly the grenadines, are an excellent value for people who just want nice ties without the cosplaying.

11. colco

colco Senior Member

Have you looked at the website and noticed the appreciably lower price that Paul offers his ties for?
    +!

12. ChetB

ChetB Distinguished Member

I love Chipp ties. I've found a few vintage ones in thrift stores over the years—sharks, nautical flags (permission to lay alongside), IITYWTMWYBMAD (if I tell you what this means will you buy me a drink), and "piss and vinegar."

Two others I found but could never decode: santa sitting on the toilet and some sort of tree emblem, inside a circle (perhaps a company logo?). Any hints what these might be, @chippneckwear ?

Planning an order now, knits and grenadines. Welcome to the forum, Paul.

13. colco

colco Senior Member

I am also a fan (though not particularly of the grenadines. I prefer a grossa weave so sold my grenadines from Chipp. Have a number of the knits, a silk Matka (I might have missed it, I never saw anyone offering a Matka tie including forum darlings Vanda before Paul did---and for a couple of years), and a bunch of the madders. Haven't bought any of the novelty ties as they are not my thing personally, though I may buy the "fuck you" tie for a friend who happens to be a first class asshole and is quite proud of it.

Lastly, a visit with Paul is always great as he is a gentleman, his family is menswear royalty, and has a great sense of humor as well. He is a local vendor offering a quality product at a reasonable price.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016

14. chippneckwear

Different strokes for different folks. When an individual is pleased with the product he gets from a particular source, I never tell him he should change. If the extra "details" are important to an individual, he will not purchase my ties. That is OK- no hard feelings on my part. Though in the normal course of wear no one sees the tipping or rolled edge, I respect that those and other details can be important to an individual. In my clothing business I have customers who I call "lining fetishists"- they spend more time picking the lining- which will rarely be seen - than they spend selecting the cloth for the suit/jacket.

15. chippneckwear

We did two different ties with Santa on the toilet. One was a stock tie- all Santas and one sitting on the toilet reading the newspaper. I called it "Santa takes a break". The other was a tie with all Santas on the toilet and along the bottom edge it said -in distorted letters - shit on ya ( they letters all ran togeather.) I had a customer -no longer on this side of the grass- for whom I made a special Christmas tie every year. The tree in the circle was a club logo- my rusty 77 year old mind does not remember what club.