• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chip and pepper jeans

alaaro

Reaction score
Just heard of these. Whats the opinion on them?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I can't say I hate them, but it is difficult to say otherwise, though I do not own any jeans under their name so I can't give a first-hand example of their quality.

From my experience, they have gratuitous boot cuts, too wide of legs, too low of rises and too high of prices. I've been hearing more and more about them lately but I find the hype to be undeserving.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan. The designs are contrived, (resewn on back pockets? C'mon. And if someone actually did rip a pocket off by mistake, (I have) they would try to sew them back in the same way.) I don't find the washes particularly appealing (way too green), and the cuts are pedestrian. Definitely not worth the hype. Go with True Religion if you want the same west coast vibe.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LAGUY; have you seen an true religion jeans without the twisted legs? I love the styling of the back pockets.

Oltmann

Reaction score
goclothing.com has some of these (both True Religion and Chip and Pepper) and they currently have a 15% off coupon code.

The prices still are not that good, but it may be worth a look.

Code is "SEPT" good until the 10th.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw some True Religion jeans at my local Saks Off Fifth outlet. They're like $80 (not certain if the price, maybe  $90?)...  I didn't examine them too carefully, I saw the Buddha on the back label and thought it was a little too Evisu for my taste. Also didn't have time to try em on.

Jeans experts, are they nice jeans? I may go back at some point, for other stuff as well, but the off fifth is not that local, and the mall it's in is HELL.

thanks

Brian SD

Reaction score
I like their [True Religion] washes quite a bit. Some of the styles are way too trendy for me though, i.e. front pockets resewn, weird looking rips all over, and external button-flies. I am about done buying jeans with large boot-cuts, and I haven't seen any TR jeans with a nice straight leg.

I would recommend them if you like the style, because they seem like they would be excellent quality, judging how they felt, and the fit around the thighs/seat is really impeccable.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True Religion jeans are terrific, heavyweight, softened denim, great details. My only problem with them are the holes in the jeans. Why? If you go, and see a pair (flap style best, but any will do) at that price ($80-90), PM me.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm personally not fond of Chip and Pepper... As LAguy said " designs are contrived". They're trying to hard to be different and the result is rather pedestrian. I'm also not too fond of True Religion, I don't find their offerings exciting or special. My suggestion for something nice but not too expensive (retail) would be the Lee's X-Line of jeans, eg the Rosco in Raw Selvedge Denim. Nice fit and well made, and you get to personalize it after a few wearings and washings. What do people think of the "reissue" Levis 501: the 1933 replica with the cinch back? I absolutely love it... Great fabric (selvedge denim from the original suppliers), great work (made in the U.S), great fit. The only downside being that you have to sit in the tub and shrink the thing.
sad.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the J.P. D'amage jeans are a pretty good alternative if you're getting tired of Paper Denim and the rest. The denim is solid medium weight, and the washes are pretty interesting. I like the Ice wash.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, never heard of J.P D'amage

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J.P. D'amage: American company; not sure where they are basd out of, but from the styling, I'd say that NY is the best guess. You can find them at Barneys and specialty boutiques. They have a website, but I don't recall what the url is.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J.P. D'amage:  American company; not sure where they are basd out of, but from the styling, I'd say that NY is the best guess.  You can find them at Barneys and specialty boutiques.  They have a website, but I don't recall what the url is.
I'll check them out next time I'm in the States.
I usually buy jeans that are 'raw', i.e unwashed (see my fondness for Denime, and other selvedge denim) and then they get 'personalized' after use. There are a few exceptions that I buy such as Paper Denim (I bought them mainly becasue of the lighter weight, softness, and cut) and Diesel (from 2 years past).

There is a new material that Evisu is using: Hemp and Cotton. For those who like Paper Denim because of the fabric, these Evisus are great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads