1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chinos!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by OxWing, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I like the price/quality mark for uniqlo, and they fit me pretty well. I've got large thighs from being an ex-cyclist and doing a lot of walking and they're fine

2. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Senior member

Lookin' to get some nice chinos here -- I used the search function but couldn't find a thread specifically about who makes what kind of chinos. I'm looking for some nice chinos, I'd wear them casually but they'd need to be able to hold a decent crease b/c I'm an engineer and that means biz casual is the usual MO.
    I dislike creases in khakis for any use.
    Polo has a pretty wide range as well. I have heard good things about the "GI" models.
    I'm wearing a pair of those right now. They're heavier than the Bill's I've seen. Flat front but fairly full cut. For that particular cut, I like them better than Inco, Isaia, or Barbera. Khakis aren't "high end" clothing anyway, so I find embellishments such as pick stitching along the pocket edges and fly to be pointless.

3. furo

furo Senior member

Lookin' to get some nice chinos here -- I used the search function but couldn't find a thread specifically about who makes what kind of chinos. I'm looking for some nice chinos, I'd wear them casually but they'd need to be able to hold a decent crease b/c I'm an engineer and that means biz casual is the usual MO.

If you're looking to hold a crease, I'd stay away from traditional chinos since they are difficult to crease.

If you're looking for cotton trousers you might try the Signature line from Dockers. That's what I've been buying lately since they came out with a Flat Front model in a Straight Fit and a Slim Fit. They have a permanent crease, are 100% cotton, and don't wrinkle too much during normal wear. They also sell the line in a relaxed fit (D1 - slim, D2 - straight, D3 - relaxed).

I find them at Kohl's, JC Penney, and Macy's for about $30-35 a pair.

I also picked up a pair of Brooks Brothers Advantage Chinos in their Milano (slim) cut. I haven't worn them yet, but they fit fairly snug and I have runner's legs. They have a crease in them but not sure if they are a perma-crease.

4. Rebel_5

Rebel_5 Well-Known Member

I also picked up a pair of Brooks Brothers Advantage Chinos in their Milano (slim) cut. I haven't worn them yet, but they fit fairly snug and I have runner's legs. They have a crease in them but not sure if they are a perma-crease.

I have a pair of the Advantage Clark chinos. About a year old, worn about a dozen time and washed about a dozen times. The still look brand new, including razor sharp crease. I've never had to take an iron to them.

5. Petyot

Petyot Senior member

[​IMG]

Nice!

6. furo

furo Senior member

I have a pair of the Advantage Clark chinos. About a year old, worn about a dozen time and washed about a dozen times. The still look brand new, including razor sharp crease. I've never had to take an iron to them.

That's good to know. I might pick up a pair or two of the Clark, since the Milano cut is a bit too slim for the office (more of a weekend/night cut imo).

7. fasterstill

fasterstill Senior member

They might fall a bit outside of your price range but I just picked up a pair of Acne Chino's. I bought my true size and i think they fit great slim but not the least bit uncomfortable, and I am a soccer player, cyclist (read big ass) size 36

8. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

I bought a pair of Bill's khakis from Bill when I met him sometime in 06 or 07. He was a very nice guy, and I got the button fly authentics version. Have his autograph on the inside of my ass pocket. Pretty cool pants, but a bit blousy on me. I have chicken legs. I might have them tailored, but not sure if this would defeat the purpose of getting the original WWII style cut.

9. Beta

Beta Senior member

bonobos from what ive heard are meant to flatter larger thighs/butt, so you can order your size and have it fit properly. I think they average either a bit under or a bit over your budget.

10. factorial

factorial Senior member

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll check out J Crew, and yeah, there's a Bill's Khaki's retailer in Tulsa, as well. Is the Incotex fit too slim for someone with larger legs? I'm not talking like huge fatass legs, but more like cyclist big thighs. Sucks being in Tulsa, too. I don't have access to a huge selection, and I'm hesitant to buy on the internet w/o trying the pants on. I'm close to Dallas, which has Nieman Marcus/Saks/BB. Are any of those good bets?
    The popular BB "advantage" chinos (Clark/Milano fits) are too slim in the thigh compared to the waist if you have moderately muscular legs and a slim waist. The Polo Prospect Chino has a better thigh-to-waist ratio if you're a cyclist, I'd venture. I picked up a pair at Bloomingdale's last week for under $40 (they are on 50% off sale right now).

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    along the same lines ... i too am of german build ... or at least that's what we prefer to call it in my family. i have always had trouble getting jeans to fit, they're either too baggy around the middle or too tight in the butt/thighs. Lands End traditionals fit me like a glove.