Chinos!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by OxWing, Jun 30, 2009.

1. OxWing

OxWing Member

Lookin' to get some nice chinos here -- I used the search function but couldn't find a thread specifically about who makes what kind of chinos. I'm looking for some nice chinos, I'd wear them casually but they'd need to be able to hold a decent crease b/c I'm an engineer and that means biz casual is the usual MO. I'd love a pair in khaki and one in navy, I have a large ass/thighs, and I'm willing to spend up to about $100. Recommendations?

2. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Dockers are cut for the big butted. I can't recommend them otherwise.

3. agavilanes

agavilanes Senior member

I have seen fellow member ManOfKet rocking uniqlo chinos and looking quite dapper in the WAYWRN thread. Can't comment on the fit.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I have a large ass/thighs, and I'm willing to spend up to about $100.

Click.

Too full for my tastes, but they sound like what you are seeking. I wouldn't put a crease in them, but it's not evil if you do.

- B

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Lookin' to get some nice chinos here -- I used the search function but couldn't find a thread specifically about who makes what kind of chinos. I'm looking for some nice chinos, I'd wear them casually but they'd need to be able to hold a decent crease b/c I'm an engineer and that means biz casual is the usual MO. I'd love a pair in khaki and one in navy, I have a large ass/thighs, and I'm willing to spend up to about $100. Recommendations?

People are usually pretty happy with J Crew chinos as well. They're readily available to try at your local J Crew and they offer a Relaxed fit for larger bottoms. They even have a "Giant Fit" if you're quite large.

Uniqlo generally tends to be slimmer; not sure how well that would work. Also with the OP being in Tulsa, access to Uniqlo wear would be extremely limited...

6. OxWing

OxWing Member

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll check out J Crew, and yeah, there's a Bill's Khaki's retailer in Tulsa, as well. Is the Incotex fit too slim for someone with larger legs? I'm not talking like huge fatass legs, but more like cyclist big thighs.

Sucks being in Tulsa, too. I don't have access to a huge selection, and I'm hesitant to buy on the internet w/o trying the pants on. I'm close to Dallas, which has Nieman Marcus/Saks/BB. Are any of those good bets?

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Some Incos may be cut too slim for you, but they do make a range of fits.

BB will definitely have chinos cut for big asses, but maybe more so than you actually need. Saks seems like a good option to check out.

8. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I have a large ass/thighs, and I'm willing to...

Dude or dudette? If the former, try Lands' End. If the latter, please post pics [​IMG]

9. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

Dockers are cut for the big butted. I can't recommend them otherwise.

though they DO now have a straight fit and slim fit chinos for about $50 a pop

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Go for Bill's Khakis, they are great pants. Will hold up really well, and are about 100 bucks.

11. dv3

dv3 Senior member

RAF Slim Khaki Still two sizes left. On sale for $85, normally $285.

12. robert in LA

robert in LA Well-Known Member

Go for Bill's Khakis, they are great pants. Will hold up really well, and are about 100 bucks.

Bills Khakis are very solidly constructed. The rise is relatively short for the fullness of the thighs. They are making a retro-statment here and there are no tabs on the fly, either on the inside or the outside to flatten the 'panel' in front, so you need a belt.

If you want to go really retro you can buy their button fly chinos. Quite a range of weights of cloth from poplin to heavy twill is available. They definitely have the American Chino thing wrapped up. Go to BB if you want a more refined cut. BB offers about four different cuts.

13. robert in LA

robert in LA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll check out J Crew, and yeah, there's a Bill's Khaki's retailer in Tulsa, as well. Is the Incotex fit too slim for someone with larger legs? I'm not talking like huge fatass legs, but more like cyclist big thighs.

Sucks being in Tulsa, too. I don't have access to a huge selection, and I'm hesitant to buy on the internet w/o trying the pants on. I'm close to Dallas, which has Nieman Marcus/Saks/BB. Are any of those good bets?

The Icontex pants are wonderfully well made. Just extraordinary, but the fit is very Italian, which is to say snug. Probably not for working in an engineering office. Standing around on a deck with a glass of iced tea or pinot grigio yes.

Being in Tulsa should not be a problem. Any reliable vendor (Bills, Brooks, Lands End &tc.) does no questions asked returns almost immediately, and all of these people will probably help you with thigh, rise and waist measurements over the phone. I buy almost all of my clothing over the net, and I use a tailor locally who does the fitting.

14. Spark

Spark Senior member

Bills are grossly overated/priced these days. Perhaps they were "authentic" in design and materials in the brand's early days, but the one pair I bought went right back in the mail -- I've seen beefier material on WalMart chinos. The delta in quality between JCrew's stuff and Bill's is too small to even think of the latter as an option.

Incotex is tops in fit and quality, but the cut seems to vary with country of origin. I may be wrong, but the Romanian ones seem to be the slimmest.

Polo has a pretty wide range as well. I have heard good things about the "GI" models.