• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chinos/polos/shoes

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
gentlemen, i am looking for some ideas. while i understand most of you are concerned with suits and more formal attire, please read on.

ive recently started at a new office where we have a very 'business casual' work environment. most guys are dressed in slacks and a dress shirt with square toe shoes, some are dressed in polo shirts, ill fitting chinos/kakis, and thick rubber soled shoes.

i am looking for some stylish yet work appropriate ideas for the chino/polo look. ill be starting from scratch as most of my previous work attire is geared towards the 'suit, no tie' look.

i am thinking of wearing some 'louder' socks and picking up some driving mocs and/or loafers. i might even go sockless or with a non-leather dress belt
(not quite sure i want either of these though)

if you have pictures of ideas that would be much appreciated

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
wool dress slacks in shades of gray, earth tones
MTM dress shirts in a variety of colors, checks, stripes
high-quality shoes, at least Allen-Edmonds level

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

This is almost my business casual dress to a tee, with the exception of adding a number of polos from RLPL/Lacoste in varying colors from neutral to .. orange/pink/yellow/lavender (I LOVE RLPL POLOS!!111).

I also wore driving mocs to work today.. though with socks, which felt odd.

Originally Posted by AlanC
Also consider cords, moleskins and sweaters.

I just purchased 3 pairs of Lambournes from STP. Sweaters I expected to be an integral part of my wardrobe (I love 'em, personally) but in the past two attempts I've tried to wear them.. I've been roasting at work. I prefer the cold but when the building is at 74 and I have on a 2-ply or tiger fleece, I thought I was going to pass out.

sartorially senseless

Reaction score

i want to get away from the slacks/dress shirt.

if they are going to allow polos and chinos with a more relaxed look and shoe, im going to take advantage.

i think ill just buy a bunch of well fitting, quality polos (rl/lacoste/fred perry) in different colors.

do anyone have any suggestions for shoes a more relaxed pant ?

paper clip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorially senseless

from a trad perspective....

How about some nice penny loafers (Alden 986 Shell cordo) or saddle shoes (AE Shelton)?

I weart the above with Bills khakis and oxford cloth button downs and sweater vests, v-neck sweaters, blazer, or tweed jacket and surcingle belts.

mendel

Reaction score

♫ These are a few of my favorite thiiiiings... ♫

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorially senseless

Chelsea boots can look particularly good, but I'm partial to monkstraps. I also wear split toe bluchers (almost any bluchers, really) or penny loafers.

rgpuppy

Reaction score
why not suede loafers...

Today I have on a pair of Tencel trousers (yes they are british tan, some would say dark khaki) that look and feel several levels above cotton chinos and a RLPL woven sportshirt with Chocolate brown suede loafers.

Also wear loafers with metal bits...with wool trousers.

In teh summer cotton poplin or such pants with driving mocs, no socks here in the south would be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads