Chino size vs Jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jkhan82, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Jkhan82

Jkhan82 Senior member

Hey guys,

Quick question, I've recently started wearing more casual chinos and pants versus my jeans. I'm a bit confused by the sizing. I wear a 30 waist in slim fit jeans across the board, but with casual pants it seems to vary. I recently picked up Emerson vintage chinos from Banana Republic, but 30 did not fit, and 31 is a little snug...32 seems to fit right. I assume it's the stretch of the Jeans, so I measured my waist, right above the hip-bone and its a little over 31.

so my question is, should I just pick up the 32 or just grab the 31? I plan on slimming down a bit more this summer, but I've noticed my waist over the years never really changes...since my fat goes to my beloved tummy and not my waist line.

Any ideas?

2. comrade

comrade Senior member

I have the same observation.
    I wear 34" slim low rise jeans. In chinos, also slim and low rise, I am 36" or even 38".
    It may be that mabitex and incotex (chinos) run small as many Italian made items.

3. topos

topos Senior member

the reason for the variance in the waist is vanity sizing and probably also to an extent crappy quality control. knowing your true waist gives you a place to start, but many brands claim their waist sizes are smaller than they are, i suppose to make you feel good or something. of course what it achieves in practice is to make it difficult to find the right size without trying things on.

but of course you really shouldn't buy things sight unseen anyways: you want the rise to fit the way you want, the butt to fit right, and the thighs. so long as the waist is close, you can have it taken in by a tailor without much trouble. same goes for slimming the legs, and obviously hemming.

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

If 31 fits too snug and 32 fits well, then why the fxck do you need our advice? Are you just hell bent on buying the smaller size so that you can say, "I'm a size 31?" Guys who wear super-slim pants want to feel like they're super-slim, that's why the sizes are listed smaller.

5. Jkhan82

Jkhan82 Senior member

I was just asking if this is common..relax and remove the tampon. I've already went to the store and swapped it for a 32...though now the leg room is a bit loose.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

6. atoms

atoms Senior member

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

It's also that jeans tend to stretch out at the waist, less so with heavyweight denim.