1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese reproductions of modern furniture classics

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by emptym, Aug 19, 2008.

1. thoumas

thoumas New Member

2. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

I grew up with Barcelona chairs, among other designer furniture too numerous to mention, and the repros I've seen at reputable furniture stores in Japan are pale imitations at best, with neither the dimensions nor the finish of the originals. From what I've seen, I would not pay those prices for that inferior quality.

the office building i once worked in had some lovely barcelonas in brown leather that must have been at least 20 years old. the wear added so much character to them and other than the patina they looked otherwise new...

time will tell what the repos will look like. i cant imagine the leather is as good quality..

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

My experince is that if you move or redecorate you can recoup some of your money reselling licensed classic furniture. But, with the knock-offs there is little or no return.

4. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

My experince is that if you move or redecorate you can recoup some of your money reselling licensed classic furniture. But, with the knock-offs there is little or no return.

I'm not defending replicas but if your argument against them is out of the above logic, then it makes no sense as the net cash out will always be significantly lower with replicas versus originals, unless of course you overpaid for replicas.

5. Aristeu Pires

Aristeu Pires New Member

6. jess123

jess123 Member

I find that certain websites have great replicas especially on the barcelona chairs
    have you guys looked at regencyshop.com? i have ordered here before and they are the best and the quality is amazing especially on the eames

7. guest

guest Senior member

i see tolomeos all over now even the giant one.

8. jess123

jess123 Member

i love the barcelona style chair, does anyone know where to get reproductions?

9. arirang

arirang Well-Known Member

^ I purchased a Barcelona Chair and a bunch of LEM Piston Chairs from eternitymodern.com about 2 years ago, and I am extremely pleased with the quality of the product. They have withstood repeated use.

(I believe they now refer to the Barcelona as the Pavilion Chair, in case you go looking for it)