• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese reproductions of modern furniture classics

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poodlerock
emptym--did you end up going with modernclassics? how was the experience?

I'd like to know too.

To be honest, I don't see a problem buying replica furniture. It's not going to be any worse than anything you'll buy at a middle tier furniture store like Ethan Allen. All of that stuff is made in China too. You'll live in it more and be less protective around it too.

There are certain pieces I wouldn't really cheap out on, like a formal dining room table.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is some argument against it based on the fact that its basically "stealing" (or more, infringing) on someone elses design.

That being said, many early modern pieces have been around long enough that the copyright (is it a copyright?) on the design has expired. These no longer need to be licensed for production and a lot of places that used to make knock-offs now make legitimate reproductions. As long as the craftsmanship is good, I'd be all for it (and more pieces will probably be in the public by the time I am populating a house with furniture). The prices might still not be so low though...the chair that spawned this thread has a TON of tedious hand work so I doubt it could ever be too cheap.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Unbelievable ...how do they get away with this?

I can understand the copyright has long run out on some of the early-to-mid century items ...but how do they legally produce and sell these much more recent designs? ...they are still protected by international copyright ...aren't they?

Copy of 'Spun light T' by Sebastian Wrong for Flos
CL013.jpg

Copy of 'Louis Ghost' by Philippe Starck for Kartell
CC407.jpg

Copy of 'Romeo Moon' by Philippe Starck for Flos
CL012.jpg

Copy of 'Lem' stool by Shin and Tomoko Azumi for Lapalma
CF098_1.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
I haven't. Still need dining chairs. And a mattress. Plan to get the mattress first. Have bought a bed though!

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Copy of 'Louis Ghost' by Philippe Starck for Kartell
CC407.jpg

I have no problems with buying repros, but I would seriously hesitate getting something like this. Who knows how strong the material they might use is? It would be a broken tailbone waiting to happen.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Unbelievable ...how do they get away with this?

I can understand the copyright has long run out on some of the early-to-mid century items ...but how do they legally produce and sell these much more recent designs? ...they are still protected by international copyright ...aren't they?

China has a very laissez faire attitude toward copyright violations and other IP. Good luck being able to stop a manufacturer from "stealing". And while you're fighting this battle, you're just throwing money into the trash can.

rsgould

Reaction score
It's only stealing if the designers (or their estates) happen to own WIPO design patents for those products, which is unlikely. Even in that instance, those rarely hold up in Chinese court. The designer would have to have designs registered in China as well to really enforce any sort of intellectual property rights.

Because they call it a replica, this is pretty much legal. There are no trademarks involved.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
The Barcelona "loveseat" is like adding insult to injury.

I think the LC3 & Florence Knoll sectionals are worse
eek.gif
. But here's the biggest insult, claiming Knoll is inferior to its fake:

The polished steel frame is of a very high quality at chair type, not chromed or chipping inferior materials on knoll Barcelona chairs.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a local "modern" furniture store and picked up two of what is essentially a Saarinen side table repro with a white aluminum base and walnut veneer top. It is indeed made in China, and to my untrained eye, it looks quite nice, and it feels pretty substantial. I paid $325 for each.

After doing some web searching, I concluded I got a really good price for the repro, and I have no f'n clue why the real thing would have cost anywhere from $1100-$1300. For side tables that will be next to my bed, and at most support an alarm clock or decorative items, no way I'd pay over $1000 for side tables (and that's each).

Anyone know why a "real" Saarinen side table in marble costs about $750 while a walnut veneer has a $400-$600 mark up on top of that!? I mean sheez, it's a walnut veneer. I would have thought the marble top would have cost more.

invalid_user

Reaction score
Where is this local modern furniture store you speak of? Did they have any other repros?

Originally Posted by teddieriley
I went to a local "modern" furniture store and picked up two of what is essentially a Saarinen side table repro with a white aluminum base and walnut veneer top. It is indeed made in China, and to my untrained eye, it looks quite nice, and it feels pretty substantial. I paid $325 for each.

After doing some web searching, I concluded I got a really good price for the repro, and I have no f'n clue why the real thing would have cost anywhere from $1100-$1300. For side tables that will be next to my bed, and at most support an alarm clock or decorative items, no way I'd pay over $1000 for side tables (and that's each).

Anyone know why a "real" Saarinen side table in marble costs about $750 while a walnut veneer has a $400-$600 mark up on top of that!? I mean sheez, it's a walnut veneer. I would have thought the marble top would have cost more.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was in San Diego called "Hold It." They distribute various vendors, including Gus Modern, and the table was through Nuevo Living. They have a range of items and a number of catalogs they can order out of. They don't specialize in repros, per se, but several of their pieces were along those lines (like non-leather Barcelona chairs for around $600 or so).

emptym

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if the source from that Yadea company I linked to. I wonder if they'd say.

TaylorMADE96

Reaction score
Does anyone know where an Eames Plywood Elephant chair can be found? Replica of course...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You must have had an unhappy childhood, without anywhere comfortable to sit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads