• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

China & Hong Kong Trip - Tailors

clothesrus

Reaction score
So i'm going to Hong Kong for about over a week and looking for a Hong Kong Tailor who can provide decent products as a reasonable price.

Before I get flamed, I want to stress that I've done a lot of search through this forum and I'm having a hard time finding something that's a good fit for me. VW Chan and Gordon Yao seem to provide excellent suits at decent prices but too expensive and not really my lifestyle.
I've read about places like Jantzen and Sam's tailors and it seems like they don't really care about customer service and their products but more about marketing their things.

I heard that there are a lot of good tailors in Hong Kong like in Admiralty or Central Market who can make relative quality suits and stuff for reasonable prices.

The PROBLEM HERE IS that there's so many frauds and sleezes that I need help sorting them out. My target is about no more than 900 USD for 1 suit (400 max), 2 blazers, couple shirts and pants.

If anyone can help chime in, that would be really great.

Thanks,

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clothesrus
So i'm going to Hong Kong for about over a week and looking for a Hong Kong Tailor who can provide decent products as a reasonable price.

Before I get flamed, I want to stress that I've done a lot of search through this forum and I'm having a hard time finding something that's a good fit for me. VW Chan and Gordon Yao seem to provide excellent suits at decent prices but too expensive and not really my lifestyle.
I've read about places like Jantzen and Sam's tailors and it seems like they don't really care about customer service and their products but more about marketing their things.

I heard that there are a lot of good tailors in Hong Kong like in Admiralty or Central Market who can make relative quality suits and stuff for reasonable prices.

The PROBLEM HERE IS that there's so many frauds and sleezes that I need help sorting them out. My target is about no more than 900 USD for 1 suit (400 max), 2 blazers, couple shirts and pants.

Thanks,

Ok I'm still a noob on this thread. First of all, its WW Chan, not Volkswagen Chan. But I digress.

I've had a suit at Jantzen made, I wouldn't compare them to Sam's at all. Sam's horrible. With Jantzen u get what u paid for.

As always, you'll hear people recommend Peter Lee from Lee Baron.

In all honesty though, you need to research some more dude.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in HK next week for a couple of days. To keep things easy, I'm just going to one of those nice Indian guys near Chungking Mansions, TST, they seem to know all about suits.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I think your budget is unrealistic (900 USD for 1 suit, 2 blazers, couple shirts and pants) for any quality products. You get what you pay for.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
I'm in HK next week for a couple of days. To keep things easy, I'm just going to one of those nice Indian guys near Chungking Mansions, TST, they seem to know all about suits.

smile.gif

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Sorry, I think your budget is unrealistic (900 USD for 1 suit, 2 blazers, couple shirts and pants) for any quality products. You get what you pay for.

I generally agree, but I have reservations about saying so after some guy put up a thread lastweek with solid mall-stall suits in the 250 range. I do wonder if they hold up to close inspection though.

Here

mrclam

Reaction score
I had a suit MTM from william cheng in tst. I also had a couple shirts made at 270 hkd each(around 35usd). I hated the fit of both the suit and the shirts and no longer wear the suit or the shirts. (weekly wearing of the shirts wore them out after 6 months) I moved on to jantzen, and now peter lee for shirts. Will be using gordon for suits in the future. take fishball's advice, you get what you pay for - increase your budget or buy fewer things/get nicer quality. do it right, do it once.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks,

If you have family or friends in HK ask them about suits and shirts. You have to develop a relationship with a tailor to develop great results for that price range.

Yao and Chan will always deliver solid results but it comes with a price.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrclam
I had a suit MTM from william cheng in tst. I also had a couple shirts made at 270 hkd each(around 35usd). I hated the fit of both the suit and the shirts and no longer wear the suit or the shirts. (weekly wearing of the shirts wore them out after 6 months) I moved on to jantzen, and now peter lee for shirts. Will be using gordon for suits in the future. take fishball's advice, you get what you pay for - increase your budget or buy fewer things/get nicer quality. do it right, do it once.

I thought William Cheng is a pretty decent tailor.

mrclam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I think the construction was ok, but the fit was horrible. Over time, I'm sure it could get better, but I don't plan to have too many suits, so I don't want to bother with too many $400 experiments.

clothesrus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I generally agree, but I have reservations about saying so after some guy put up a thread lastweek with solid mall-stall suits in the 250 range. I do wonder if they hold up to close inspection though.

Here

honestly, i wouldn't mind those type of suits or blazer

it prolly at least equal the 1k plus i would pay in Toronto for a MTM anyways

plus, i like to dress decently and fitted well but not someone who styled up so much.
kinda ferraris, porche and etc are greating looking cars but I don't feel comfortable driving them

clothesrus

Reaction score

i'm actually thinking about william cheng too. i would be looking for a long-term relationship with mid-range tailor. i don't mind if there's minor issues with a suit as long as the overall suit is good

another analogy is haircuts, I don't want the $8-13 ones because they usually really bad (RTW, allter suits) but I don't want the expensive ($45-70) cuz there's a huge premium. The $20-30 range is tricky cuz u could still get a bad haircut (your sam tailors, raja), but once i find one I like, i stick with her ($28 + $5 tip each time).

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My target is about no more than 900 USD for 1 suit (400 max), 2 blazers, couple shirts and pants.

Thanks,

Not going to happen. For a decent suit, aim at about 700 USD at least, blazer about 400 USD, shirts about 35/pop, trousers about 100.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Try David Chow of D.C.Mohex Fashions.

clothesrus

Reaction score
If you have family or friends in HK ask them about suits and shirts. You have to develop a relationship with a tailor to develop great results for that price range.

Yao and Chan will always deliver solid results but it comes with a price.

that's a good point there about building good long-term relationships and about risks vs rewards.

how about william yu, lee baron and william cheng? Their prices seem higher-end and you may get ok results since they cater to tourists and such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads