• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chin up bar using tension

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone bought or used one? i just saw a commercial for it and it allows you to do 3 types of pull up, plus you can use it for sit ups, as well as for push ups. it looked really good and something great for the house. it uses tension so no screws etc and can travel with it.
if you used it what did you think?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
What is this? I googled it and it took me to this thread.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I've seen it advertised on late-night TV. Personally, I couldn't bring myself to trust a chin-up bar that's secured by nothing but tension. I just got a chin-up bar from Wal-Mart last winter for like $10 that you screw into the doorframe. Pretty simple and it doesn't look like it'll destroy the frame. Very secure, too, which I was weary of at first, even with the bar fastened in by many screws.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using one of these for a while now and it was mentioned a couple of times in this thread:http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=77247

I bought mine on amazon for sub $30 and I am very pleased with it. The way the pressure works as you hang down on it has created indentations in the molding around my door though, although I deal with it.

It is a very good idea and probably your best bet for a door frame bar. Although I think that its use for sit ups and push ups is insanely gimmicky.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one and it works quite well. My only qualm is that part is made from plastic, although this has not been an issue so far. There aren't any indentations yet either, so I guess i'm lucky.

KPFrosty

Reaction score
http://www.getirongym.com/Default.as...clusion&bhcp=1

I use this one. With shipping and the ab straps it was $50. I love it. As far as travel... it depends. I throw it in the car on my way from school to home for the weekend... no problem. I don't think I would disassemble it to take on a flight, but if I really wanted to I could. Easy to assemble.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have too much fun swinging on them to ever use one of those. When I lived in dorms, a guy had one, I almost broke my neck trying to do what I was used to on my own. He used it every day without injury, though. And I'm just stupid.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i use the one i have at home more like a high bar so this would never work, nor would it hold me at 238.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I was watching this infomercial the other night as well.

It looked interesting.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like what it does the doorframe or I would use it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads