• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Chin up bar using tension

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone bought or used one? i just saw a commercial for it and it allows you to do 3 types of pull up, plus you can use it for sit ups, as well as for push ups. it looked really good and something great for the house. it uses tension so no screws etc and can travel with it.
if you used it what did you think?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
What is this? I googled it and it took me to this thread.

APK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've seen it advertised on late-night TV. Personally, I couldn't bring myself to trust a chin-up bar that's secured by nothing but tension. I just got a chin-up bar from Wal-Mart last winter for like $10 that you screw into the doorframe. Pretty simple and it doesn't look like it'll destroy the frame. Very secure, too, which I was weary of at first, even with the bar fastened in by many screws.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using one of these for a while now and it was mentioned a couple of times in this thread:http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=77247

I bought mine on amazon for sub $30 and I am very pleased with it. The way the pressure works as you hang down on it has created indentations in the molding around my door though, although I deal with it.

It is a very good idea and probably your best bet for a door frame bar. Although I think that its use for sit ups and push ups is insanely gimmicky.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one and it works quite well. My only qualm is that part is made from plastic, although this has not been an issue so far. There aren't any indentations yet either, so I guess i'm lucky.

KPFrosty

Reaction score
http://www.getirongym.com/Default.as...clusion&bhcp=1

I use this one. With shipping and the ab straps it was $50. I love it. As far as travel... it depends. I throw it in the car on my way from school to home for the weekend... no problem. I don't think I would disassemble it to take on a flight, but if I really wanted to I could. Easy to assemble.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have too much fun swinging on them to ever use one of those. When I lived in dorms, a guy had one, I almost broke my neck trying to do what I was used to on my own. He used it every day without injury, though. And I'm just stupid.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i use the one i have at home more like a high bar so this would never work, nor would it hold me at 238.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I was watching this infomercial the other night as well.

It looked interesting.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like what it does the doorframe or I would use it.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 72 17.9%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 133 33.0%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 69 17.1%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 29 7.2%