• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Children and restaurants

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So guys...What is your take on this?

Personally, I feel that children have no place in a fine dining establishment, but some people just dont ******* get it. It's horrible and the majority of the time the parents are oblivious to the fact that their children are screaming and throwing knives. Although, there are exceptions, like well behaved and mannered children but they are so few and very far between.

Being in the restaurant business I have strong feelings on the issue. Is it illegal to not allow children below a certain age into a fine dining establishment (ie extensive wine list and a guest average north of $100 per person)? I have heard about some restauarants enforcing a "no children under the age of X".

Don't get me wrong...I completely understand that parenting is not an easy task, but neither is enjoying a bottle of Gaja with a screaming infant!

Let's hear your opinions guys

john

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the kids and the parents.
If the kid is actually well behaved I see no problem.
I think that people should be allowed to take their kids out just about anywhere. I take my 8 year old out but he is a good kid and I keep him well in line.

I also think that a kid in an adult situation should be treated like an adult. If an adult was screaming or throwing **** he would be thrown out in seconds flat. No reason it should be significantly different for kids. Infants get a "one scream rule", but why in ***** name would you take an infant to a nice place to begin with?

eqpablon

Reaction score
Kiddos = teh NO. I think the real question is at what age do you allow them to dine? I think 12 or 13 is a good age.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they can behave they can stay. I ate in smart restaurants with my parents as a kid and enjoyed it, and you may want to eat with your family, but not in mac donalds.
Parents do need to make sure the kid is well trained and is not too tired etc. because otherwise, yeah, it is a bad time for everyone else, and the little ****** should not be there.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** them kids.

Kids don't even have a palate too truly appreciate good food.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am perfectly fine with unruly children in a fine dining establishment. As long as their parents pay my entire bill.

As I have said before, if I go to Chuckie Cheese and ***** about the unruly kids, I'm an asshole. If you bring an unruly kid to a fine dining establishment, you're an asshole.

Either way, the kid is not at fault. It's all on the parents.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It completely depends on the kids. If these are the kids with the parents that have no idea how to control them, then they should not think about going to a nice restaurant. Personally, I don't even think they should be allowed to be out in public, annoying other people... if you have a kid, it's your responsibility to teach the kid how to be well-mannered in public, and if you can't your punishment is to stay at home and care for the kid until it learns to be well-mannered.

With that said, I have been out to several nice restaurants and have seen kids, probably 8-12 year olds, that are well behaved, and often well dressed, either in a dress shirt, sweater, or in a rare case, a kid's blazer. If I have to get up to go to the restroom or if I'm done eating, I will approach these tables and compliment the kids and the parents. Positive reinforcement is always a good thing in such cases.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should teach them at an early age to behave, and make sure that they're used to it. I've taken my nephews (all young) to Moto, Charlie Trotters, the Ritz, Mesa Grill and Craft. They behave, they learn about food. I think it is all about early education.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I am perfectly fine with unruly children in a fine dining establishment. As long as their parents pay my entire bill.

As I have said before, if I go to Chuckie Cheese and ***** about the unruly kids, I'm an asshole. If you bring an unruly kid to a fine dining establishment, you're an asshole.

Either way, the kid is not at fault. It's all on the parents.

Couldn't agree more. Kids are a reflection of their parenting. If a parent can control their child I have no problem with the child coming to dinner. In fact, if they're well behaved I probably wouldn't notice the kid anyway, so it's not really an imposition. However, if a parent can't control their child, they should be held liable for the fact that they've ruined my nice dinner by allowing their child to misbehave.

Either way, it's all on the parents to manage their child, I don't blame a little kid for the failings of those charged with teaching them to act like a human being.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that the kids need to be well behaved, and I am not sure I'd take my kid to a place where the average price was >100 bucks a head - I've come very close to that, we've taken my kids a lot to places where the average price per head was around 75 bucks.

I think that kids have to be tought to behave in the adult world, and the way to do that is to allow them to visit the adult world. we have taken my kids to a lot of museums, and only at the Met have we gotten rude remarks from people about it. we take our kids to "adult" resteraunts regularly, but our kids are pretty well behaved.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
expensive or cheap, i have no problems with kids as long as they are mutes. i really don't mind a crying baby to an extent. babies cry at the most inopportune time. it's the 3-5 year olds that run around the place screaming, while the parents do nothing is what pisses me off.

i had two kids almost knock my table over once and the dad gave me a shrug of the shoulders. i am never one to complain about things like this, but the waitress clearly knew i was pissed and the manager gave us a free dinner and a $200 gift card to come back.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mind kids if they are well behaved.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course children should be welcome in a fine dining establishment. You can't just banish them. That's as ethical as banishing handicapped people because they make you feel icky.

Should parents remove children from a restaurant if they act up or get loud? Well yes. A nice old lady should do the same thing with her husband if he drinks too much and begins to argue politics in a loud voice.

Not all kids are bratty. Take this one for example:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

Not all kids are bratty. Take this one for example:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

what a little douchebag.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I for one think parents need to do a better job of ensuring their children do not ruin other people's experiences. Whether it's hiring a babysitter for a night, or shoving a sock in their kid's mouth on a plane, they should be courteous. Having annoying children in public is not a right, it's a responsibility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads