• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Childhood nightmares.

Reaction score
Anyone else remember nightmares that you had as a child? I can remember one, and I think it recurred many times.

It starts in my room, with Star Wars wallpaper. I head downstairs, for some reason, and these GIANT stuffed animals that line the hallways, like, LOOM at me, threateningly, but they do not reach for me, just kind of lean forward ominously. I make my way to the guest room and through a crack in the door I see Chewbacca in front of a vanity, putting on his bullet belt. He senses my presence and I wake up.

Meanwhile my heart is beating loudly in my ears...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
usually involved someone throwing me off a building or someone taking the last mego superhero figure.
had a nightmare last week that i was at barney's and they had lots of raf simons in my size but i had no money. i was awake at the time. and at barneys.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting crushed by Tetris blocks. Always happened after a day of too much Game Boy. Also led to night terrors, which was great fun for my mother. I also remember images of a large and small laundry dryer (ours were actually right outside my room, which is probably why), and the thought that my father was dead (he wasn't). These were good times for several years. I look forward to my own children's night terrors in the future (apparently if you have them, your children are likely to, and several of my cousins had them as well).

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One particular nightmare haunted me (in decreasing regularity thankfully) from age 6 to well into my late 20s. I've related the scenario to a friend of mine who claims to be able to interpret dreams and he just shudders.
redface.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never really have nightmares. Is that weird?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I often dreamed that, through concentrating, I could fly. In fact, it still happens. Being publicly nude too, but being built as I am, it's hardly a nightmare.
laugh.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I often dreamed that, through concentrating, I could fly. In fact, it still happens. Being publicly nude too, but being built as I am, it's hardly a nightmare.
laugh.gif

I get the flying thing a lot. I really like those. But they get really exciting when I'm in danger or whatever, and I have to fly, and I can't until the last second.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I get the flying thing a lot. I really like those. But they get really exciting when I'm in danger or whatever, and I have to fly, and I can't until the last second.

Have you other flyers found that your flying skills are improving? In my first flying dream 10-15 years ago, the whole process was exhausting and I was constantly crashing. Through the years, I've become much better and can now fly whenever I like without any problems. (Only while asleep, unfortunately.)

I've also noticed a correlation between the frequency of flying dreams and lucid dreams. The ideal is when both occur at once.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i have this recurring 'nightmare' sort of that i still have to today.

i am somewhere , can be anywhere, at a cafe, or library or just shopping and then i notice that i am chewing a piece of gum.

as soon as i notice i have gum in my mouth, i have to immediately spit it out, because it will swell and stick to my whole mouth roof all the way to the back and towards the back of my tongue as well. but it is always too late and by the time i notice, the gum already swelled, choking me and i cannot swallow or else the gum will slide down my throat and choke and i will not be able to breath.
i will try to pull it out, but i have to pull it out very slowly, or else, the stick part will just tear and remain on the roof of my mouth and tongue, so i have to gently ease it out to make sure i get the whole thing...

that i learned to do in subsequent dreams. the first few dreams i panicked so much i woke up sweating and yelling.
the next few and thereafter i always remember "oh, this thing again" and learned to pull it out as a whole without panicking.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
Have you other flyers found that your flying skills are improving? In my first flying dream 10-15 years ago, the whole process was exhausting and I was constantly crashing. Through the years, I've become much better and can now fly whenever I like without any problems. (Only while asleep, unfortunately.)

I've also noticed a correlation between the frequency of flying dreams and lucid dreams. The ideal is when both occur at once.

No correlation with bedwetting?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

i am somewhere , can be anywhere, at a cafe, or library or just shopping and then i notice that i am chewing a piece of gum.

as soon as i notice i have gum in my mouth, i have to immediately spit it out, because it will swell and stick to my whole mouth roof all the way to the back and towards the back of my tongue as well. but it is always too late and by the time i notice, the gum already swelled, choking me and i cannot swallow or else the gum will slide down my throat and choke and i will not be able to breath.
i will try to pull it out, but i have to pull it out very slowly, or else, the stick part will just tear and remain on the roof of my mouth and tongue, so i have to gently ease it out to make sure i get the whole thing...

that i learned to do in subsequent dreams. the first few dreams i panicked so much i woke up sweating and yelling.
the next few and thereafter i always remember "oh, this thing again" and learned to pull it out as a whole without panicking.

This is fraught with Freudian imagery.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

You cured yourself of sleep apnea, very interesting.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy

i haven't had a flying dream in ages but when i did i was always kind of struggling to get off the ground or struggling with altitude and like crashing down into the trees almost. haha.

for a long time i had a recurring nightmare about being in a huge mall with my gma and having to get to a different level but the escalators were super tall and went really fast and it was frightening to get on and try hang on. stressful.

Reaction score
I have some dim memory of some cartoon dream involving Olive Oil (from Popeye) and a sinister gingerbread house (and perhaps a garden hose [!]). Not pleasant cartoons, but like, out of control, disorienting, wtf is going on type situation

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a similar flying dream but haven't had it in a while. I used to wake up screaming and in a cold sweat after dreaming that I was falling into a volcano. I have no damn idea where that could have come from. For some reason though, I now have nightmares of loved ones dying in my arms.
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads