• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicken thighs?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I had a thing of curry sauce which suggested using chicken thighs, and since I could get like a kg of them for 1.50 I decided to do so despite the fact that I don't like dark meat (cept wings and drumsticks.) Unfortunately, the curry didn't really cover up the stringy oily nature of the thighs (******* Lloyd Grossman.)

Anybody have a good use for them that sort of covers up the less nice ascpects?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
So I had a thing of curry sauce which suggested using chicken thighs, and since I could get like a kg of them for 1.50 I decided to do so despite the fact that I don't like dark meat (cept wings and drumsticks.) Unfortunately, the curry didn't really cover up the stringy oily nature of the thighs (******* Lloyd Grossman.)

Anybody have a good use for them that sort of covers up the less nice ascpects?

Chicken thighs are quite common in indian cooking and in Paellas. They're very flavorful and I've never found them unpleasant. A grilled chicken thigh that gets rid of some of the fat is actually very nice. For making a curry, I'd fire the chicken first. I'd defininitely marinate and BBQ them, or at least sear them. Anything to get some color. Many indians will first do their meat in a tandoor, so that's extremely high heat in sort of a convection type fire oven.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Chicken thighs are quite common in indian cooking and in Paellas. They're very flavorful and I've never found them unpleasant. A grilled chicken thigh that gets rid of some of the fat is actually very nice. For making a curry, I'd fire the chicken first. I'd defininitely marinate and BBQ them, or at least sear them. Anything to get some color. Many indians will first do their meat in a tandoor, so that's extremely high heat in sort of a convection type fire oven.
Maybe I need to learn to trim them better. The "butchering" on the Sainsbury's ones is atrocious and apparently consists of smashing the joint area between two bricks. I did sear them first, but without seasoning, and I think a marinade might be a good idea to cut down on some of the stringier bits that I don't like. Also I hadn't thought of grilling, that would cut down a lot on the fat which makes them a bit oily. Thanks for the suggestions.

hi-val

Reaction score
Long, slow heat in the oven so the skin gets really crispy and the fat melts out. Chicken thighs are divine, they only require a little work first. You can also debone them and trim the fat if you're going to sear and then cook them in a sauce, like an Indian preparation.

Fast, high heat isn't going to get the fat out of them. One thing you could try, which is what one can do with ducks, is to steam them first for awhile to get a lot of the fat melted out, then cool them and grill them later to get more flavor and crisp skin.

You can alternately do a "chicken under a brick" preparation. Google will tell you how that one goes.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you plan to use them in something like a curry where being able pick up a whole piece of meat isn't very important you may want to try using skinless-boneless thighs. Much of the fat gets tirmmed away when they remove the skin and bones. If I'm ever working on a dish where I'm braising chicken pieces, I think this is a great alternative to the standard breast.

Originally Posted by goldenolive
I always steam or boil meat especially chicken before grilling and frying. i have a friend who owns a farm and he says it's normal business practice to add steriods to make chicken grow faster. so he advised me to steam or boil first the meat before grilling or sauteeing.

This is why I have taken to buying the organic stuff when it comes to chicken.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chicken thighs are the most common cut of meat turned in at bbq contests. Cook them low and slow over charcoal and wood, cover with a good sauce, bbq nirvana.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
did you take the skin off before you cooked it? take off the skin and follow the advice about slow firing for a curry, it will be great.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
Long, slow heat in the oven so the skin gets really crispy and the fat melts out. Chicken thighs are divine, they only require a little work first. You can also debone them and trim the fat if you're going to sear and then cook them in a sauce, like an Indian preparation.

Fast, high heat isn't going to get the fat out of them. One thing you could try, which is what one can do with ducks, is to steam them first for awhile to get a lot of the fat melted out, then cool them and grill them later to get more flavor and crisp skin.

You can alternately do a "chicken under a brick" preparation. Google will tell you how that one goes.

Long slow heat to make it crispy?

Have you ever eaten brisket?

hi-val

Reaction score
Yes, brisket in many forms!

When you're doing thighs in the oven, I suggest hitting them with the broiler for a minute or so before you serve so the skin gets extra crispy.

Rosemary is especially tasty with thighs, sometimes I just do a garlic/olive oil/rosemary marinade and let them chill with that for awhile.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love thighs. Best meat to flavor ratio. I use them for boneless buffalo chicken, in stir-fry, etc. Always happy. Save money and better flavor.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
Yes, brisket in many forms!

When you're doing thighs in the oven, I suggest hitting them with the broiler for a minute or so before you serve so the skin gets extra crispy.

Rosemary is especially tasty with thighs, sometimes I just do a garlic/olive oil/rosemary marinade and let them chill with that for awhile.

Eh... having them sitting in an oven stewing in less appealing chicken fat doesn't sound good. Again, char them with some type of sugar, then they taste good.

hi-val

Reaction score
Well you have to lift them up off the fat. I use either a broiling pan with another pan underneath, or just an old cooling rack for cookies that I don't mind gunking up a little bit. I agree that the chicken hanging out in its own fat wouldn't be amazing. It's relatively simple to lift them so the fat drains away (or use a George Foreman : ) ).

Brining also works well to get some flavors in.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka