• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Chicken Confit in Olive Oil

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,904
Reaction score
21
I got the idea for this dish from a nearby restaurant (Domku on Upshur--they specialize in Eastern European and Scandinavian fare) and was excited by the prospect of a cheaper, healthier confit. It came out very good.

1 package chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic
olive oil - approximately 1.5 cups
black and red pepper to taste

1. Brine the chicken for approximately eight hours (I skipped this step).
2. Drain chicken, place in slow cooker, and cover almost completely in olive oil. Add spices.
3. Cook on high for one hour, then on low for another seven.
4. Carefully remove from slow cooker and serve.

I know olive oil is unstable at high temperatures, but do you think it might also oxidize if cooked for this long? It did not look or taste burnt and the chicken is delicious.
 

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
8,831
Reaction score
1,070
i have confited pork in olive oil and it does work. however, i have to say that it did seem harder to digest. i don't know whether i'm getting delicate in my old age, but i've never had that problem with pork or duck fat.
 

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
9,081
Reaction score
42
Originally Posted by kaxixi
I got the idea for this dish from a nearby restaurant (Domku on Upshur--they specialize in Eastern European and Scandinavian fare) and was excited by the prospect of a cheaper, healthier confit. It came out very good.

1 package chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic
olive oil - approximately 1.5 cups
black and red pepper to taste

1. Brine the chicken for approximately eight hours (I skipped this step).
2. Drain chicken, place in slow cooker, and cover almost completely in olive oil. Add spices.
3. Cook on high for one hour, then on low for another seven.
4. Carefully remove from slow cooker and serve.

I know olive oil is unstable at high temperatures, but do you think it might also oxidize if cooked for this long? It did not look or taste burnt and the chicken is delicious.


I am going to try this.

Off the cuff (and I am no authority), I doubt you'll have trouble with olive oil in the first hour of a slow cooker/crock pot (I know I wouldn't in mine). You could always switch to canola oil.
 

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
60,012
Reaction score
22,655
Just out of curiousity, why didn't you brine when the recipe called for it? I ask as I've become a big fan of brining.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Just out of curiousity, why didn't you brine when the recipe called for it? I ask as I've become a big fan of brining.

Brining is great except for if you care about your figure... you retain a lot of water.
 

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,904
Reaction score
21
Because I hadn't decide what I wanted to make in advance.
 

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Messages
1,692
Reaction score
10
i have heard about octopus cooked this way being amazing but never found a recipe.
 

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
135
There was a very, very slight olive oil flavor, but that could be attributed to the fact that I was looking for it. Over all, I thought it was great. Would make it again.
 

KJT

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
1,302
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by gladhands
There was a very, very slight olive oil flavor, but that could be attributed to the fact that I was looking for it. Over all, I thought it was great. Would make it again.

You didn't happen to take any pictures did you? How was the texture? Skin?
 

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
135
The skin was about what one would expect from two-hour-old chicken confit. It cooked for about 1.5 hours longer that the recipe recommends because no one was home to remove it from the oil. I got home about two hours after my wife removed it from the oil.

I actually packed the leftovers for lunch today, and can upload pics if you like, but I don't know how much you're going to take away from cell phone pics of two day old chicken.
 

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
8,831
Reaction score
1,070
does the skin crisp when you re-heat it? i've never really gotten the point of confited chicken, to be honest. duck and pork work for me because when you saute them the surface crisps up nice ... great contrast to the meat. with chicken, i'd be afraid it would just be mush on mush.
 

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,904
Reaction score
21
I did not bother crisping the skin. I will try next time. I bet that really improves the texture.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 16.6%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 146 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 75 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 37 8.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 26 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.9%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,540
Messages
9,199,987
Members
193,222
Latest member
xytdantar

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top