• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always wanted to spend some time in Chicago. Since my wee days I've seen it as one of the "Big 3" American cities...NYC on the East Coast, LA on the West Coast, and Chicago in the Midwest.

So how is it? There's obviously no shortage of activities/culture/great restaurants, but is it a livable city? As much as I love New York, I'm not sure I could ever live there; at least not in Manhattan. Does Chicago run at a similar pace?

What's the cost of living like?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can actually drive around the city with relative ease. Even driving down a really crowded street like Michigan Ave. is tolerable for a while. I couldn't imagine owning a car in NYC. I think of it as NYC but with a more down-to-earth Midwest attitude.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
chicago is an extremly livable city. I am very happy here.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
when I first went there I kinda thought of it as a poor-man's New York, but it grew on me very quickly.

Cool town. Insane weather though.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
when I first went there I kinda thought of it as a poor-man's New York, but it grew on me very quickly.

Cool town. Insane weather though.

well, yeah, if I were 25 and rich, and had to chose to live in either, I'd go for NYC. as a middle class, middle age family man, chicago is the more livable place.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've always wanted to spend some time in Chicago. Since my wee days I've seen it as one of the "Big 3" American cities...NYC on the East Coast, LA on the West Coast, and Chicago in the Midwest.

So how is it? There's obviously no shortage of activities/culture/great restaurants, but is it a livable city? As much as I love New York, I'm not sure I could ever live there; at least not in Manhattan. Does Chicago run at a similar pace?

What's the cost of living like?

It's very livable. You can also easily get rid of your car. Summer is the best time of year here.

Cost of living varies by area. With the el, metra and amtrak, you have excellent options for neighborhoods that will fit your budget/lifestyle and still be very near city center.

As always, craigslist is a great place to look for rent ranges.

The near north side (up to about 4000 north) are the most desirable areas for young people.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The pace is much slower than NYC--more like Boston. However, the cost of living is not even close. It's actually outright cheap if you're used to east coast prices. You can get a townhouse in a decent part of the city for less than $300,000. Try that in Manhattan, Boston, or D.C.

People can be very friendly, but I've noticed that people perceived as 'outsiders' are not treated as well. The Chinese food blows, and the city's steak and ribs are highly overrated. There are some truly awesome restaurants (Alinea, anybody?), but most of the trendy places that represent 'great food' to a lot of people are just awful. Think fusion. Lots of it.

I've talked to some people that think you must have a car in Chicago, and others that say they prefer not to have one. I think if you're living in a neighborhood like Lincoln Park, the latter probably applies more. However, we live in Hyde Park (bad area in the southside), and a car is mandatory. Driving in the city is easy--except Chicago drivers are notoriously bad.

Summer is awesome in Chicago. When everyone back east is getting baked and steamed, it stays relatively cool here. However, the rest of the year is way too cold for comfort. It's like having three winters and a spring.

Clearly, I'm not the biggest fan of the city. I vastly prefer NYC or DC. But I'm also a grumpy law student, so take that for what it's worth.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Give it a rest you'll never leave Albany.

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The pace is much slower than NYC--more like Boston. However, the cost of living is not even close. It's actually outright cheap if you're used to east coast prices. You can get a townhouse in a decent part of the city for less than $300,000. Try that in Manhattan, Boston, or D.C. People can be very friendly, but I've noticed that people perceived as 'outsiders' are not treated as well. The Chinese food blows, and the city's steak and ribs are highly overrated. There are some truly awesome restaurants (Alinea, anybody?), but most of the trendy places that represent 'great food' to a lot of people are just awful. Think fusion. Lots of it. I've talked to some people that think you must have a car in Chicago, and others that say they prefer not to have one. I think if you're living in a neighborhood like Lincoln Park, the latter probably applies more. However, we live in Hyde Park (bad area in the southside), and a car is mandatory. Driving in the city is easy--except Chicago drivers are notoriously bad. Summer is awesome in Chicago. When everyone back east is getting baked and steamed, it stays relatively cool here. However, the rest of the year is way too cold for comfort. It's like having three winters and a spring. Clearly, I'm not the biggest fan of the city. I vastly prefer NYC or DC. But I'm also a grumpy law student, so take that for what it's worth.
1) The Chinese food definitely blows. 2) If you're living in somewhere other than Hyde Park, you don't need a car, but driving around isn't too bad - parking can be a pain though. 3) Summer is great. This winter has been horrible, however. 4) I think Chicago drivers are very competent, though very aggressive. EDIT: Answering Conne's original questions, it's an extremely livable city, and housing costs are way cheaper than Boston/NYC/DC/LA/SF. Probably more comparable, cost-wise, to Atlanta, Houston or Dallas.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hey Conne - is this sudden Illinois-curiosity related to your discussions of out of state college options?

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvibes
1) The Chinese food definitely blows.
2) If you're living in somewhere other than Hyde Park, you don't need a car, but driving around isn't too bad - parking can be a pain though.
3) Summer is great. This winter has been horrible, however.
4) I think Chicago drivers are very competent, though very aggressive.

EDIT: Answering Conne's original questions, it's an extremely livable city, and housing costs are way cheaper than Boston/NYC/DC/LA/SF. Probably more comparable, cost-wise, to Atlanta, Houston or Dallas.

Definitely a car-optional city. If you live in any of the core northside neighborhoods, then you're fine if you also work somewhere in Chicago. If you live further out, naturally, you'll need additional modes of transportation.

Also, Chicago drivers are not overly aggressive. I prefer Michigan drivers. Much more consistent[ly aggressive] than Illinois.

And enough complaining about the weather. You don't live here without knowing what you are getting yourself into. Winter is cold. Deal with it.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you know that New York is too much for you, I think Chicago could be a great place to live. I grew up there and go back around twice a year. It has its benefits, but compared to New York it is undeniably provincial.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
. Driving in the city is easy--except Chicago drivers are notoriously bad.

Originally Posted by gvibes
4) I think Chicago drivers are very competent, though very aggressive.

Just get out of my F'ing way in the left lane on the Kennedy and you'll be fine.
laugh.gif

There're alot of great restaurants in Chicago- they're just not in the "trendy" or touristy areas. For natives, the neighborhoods are where the action is at.

Winter is long and cold but Summer and Fall make up for it. Spring is just the soggy end of Winter rather than a seperate season here.
Pace of life is slower than NYC- but then the pace of life everywhere is slower than NYC.
And then there's the Lake...
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eh, when I say Chicago drivers are bad, it's not aggressiveness I'm talking about. They tend to not signal, drift in and out of lanes aimlessly, drive too slow, slow down approaching green lights, etc. Driving in NYC is a pain, but it's more or less predictable since you can expect everyone to rationally promote their own best interests. In Chicago, it just seems like drivers aren't paying attention or haven't driven in a city before.

There can be no controversy that the buses are just scary to drive near.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics