• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago: Your favorite thing(s) to do

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
Maybe it's just me but I thought he was referring to when Rush street was the known prostitute area. Of course that was like 25+ years ago.
Good call.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
alright just got back from 5 day trip

we managed to hit up

lola in cleveland otw there
portello's
osteria via stato
tru's dessert course
intelligentsia
girl and the goat
wow bao
bristol
violet hour
hot chocolate
aquarium
pizzeria uno (stuff was really gross. we still have half of the pizzas left)
sprinkles cupcakes
three floyd's brewery otw back

saw an awesome jersey blazer at jil sander and saw the despos sign. plus some other stuff

i got super sick on day 3 and stayed in watched ncaa basketball. it super sucked. right now i feel like im coughing half of my lungs up

thanks for all the great recommendations guys!!!!!! we had a great time with semi spontaneous but full schedule. will upload pics soon

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Cafe spiaggia is good...but is it any less expensive than blackbird?

Obviously alinea is in a whole different price range...but I am not sure I remember much of a price differance between the cafe and something like blackbird.

You could also try riccardo trattoria...there is a $33 3-course menu that includes a glass of prosecco (and the individual menu items are in a similar range)

Forget cafe spiaggia. It has some nice dishes, but is nothing special. Instead, check out Pelago. Great Italian food.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hannah's bretzel. pretzel bread was amazing. picked up $50 worth of chocolates. devoured one of the cluizel bars at the aquarium. delicious.
imliG6.jpg
shedd aquarium
imgHLS.jpg
imlg8y.jpg
osteria via stato. the hostess was smoking hot. had a valpolicella. it was nice, but for a wine that tasted like it was $12, it cost way too much at 66 (i think retail was 14). prosciutto plate with mozzarella. the prosciutto was very interesting. had nice fruity flavors which was totally unexpected. from some domestic producer. the mozzarella was really creamy. delicious. never had anything like either
imkGYQ.jpg
some kind of cream based spinach dip. pretty decent.
imguu2.jpg
braised short ribs. gnocchi with simple tomato sauce. cavatelli with mushrooms. highly highly recommend the cavatelli (and the gnocchi). best pasta i've had in a long long time.
imgsmu.jpg
gelato. pre-dessert dessert. hazlenut. coffee. chocolate. vanilla. caramel. would recommend
imkAA2.jpg
tru loved everything, but service was on some next level synchronization. had a pleasant time. amuse bouche. some kind of citrusy pear foam with port reduction on top. quite good. nice palate cleanser
imk82u.jpg
beignets with compressed apples in the middle, creme anglaise around, and vanilla ice cream. a little underwhelming. i guess i kinda like my beignets with a chewy doughy interior. apparently they vacuum compressed a melon ball of apple in apple juice/puree with sugar. we had a debate about how possible it was to compress a scoop of apple. the ice cream tasted very not *****, but still somehow very rich.
ijU80O.jpg
madeleines. nice crisp shell and soft creamy interior. best ones i've ever had.
ijU6sG.jpg
our second plate. coffee hazlenut (?) ice cream on chicory soil. some kind of snickers bar (chocolate fondue, some nuts, layer of valrhona chocolate) with edible flower, orange grass on top. really rich. took me a while to eat such a small piece
ijQjEs.jpg
our third plate. mint three ways? mint crocquette on top. mint icecream. mint fudge. i think there's another layer i'm missing.
ijQh6k.jpg
dessert of dessert. passion fruit pate de fruit. lemon sabayon (very lemony). violet (?) macaron. raspberry marshmellow
ijQbhM.jpg
ijUzUs.jpg
surprise ending. chocolate explosion. cold thin casing of chocolate with chocolate "milk inside". gold flakes on top. it pretty much does explode in your mouth. delicious and totally unexpected
ijUauK.jpg
there was also a surprise surprise ending which was a wrapped financier with honey lemon filling. soooo good. intelligentsia kenyan coffee using the syphon brewer. financier from tru. fancy machine for ok coffee. had that vinegar aftertaste i dont like, but nice soft subtle flavors in front.
ijTYmC.jpg
chocolate peanut butter macaraon
ijP90g.jpg
blueberry macaron
ijPB8o.jpg
both better than the macarons at tru girl and the goat. i was really sick at this point. gf didnt want me to go, but i soldiered through. lost my appetite 3/4 through the meal. everything was really good tho. maybe a little greasy. had the three floyd alpha king and a thomas et fils sancerre that were both really good.
ijTROo.jpg
squish and squab? summit like that. bread. pecan butter. pureed apple and pear with olive oil. gone pretty quickly.
ijTPGg.jpg
chickpea fritters. they were gone within 5 min
ijP3bI.jpg
goat pate with aspic on top. orange marmalade. pickles. cauliflower. bread (reminded me of korean hobbang bread). the marmalade had way too much rind in it and the pate was way too *****, but together they were really really good.
ijP0TA.jpg
seafood fideos. mussels, monkfish, shrimp, clams, rouille, stirato baguette. greasy, but it was really good.
ijU4k8.jpg
ravioli. i dont remember much except that it was creamy and that the dish was for our vegetarian friend. i would have stolen some more had she not had as many options to eat.
ijQfyc.jpg
roasted cauliflower. mint. if my mom fed me this as a kid i would have been a huge fan of cauliflower all my life.
ijQdpU.jpg
braised pork shank. apples. tapenade. this was really good. i stuck my fork in it and the meat just fell off the bone.
ijUvEc.jpg
goat t-bone. with some other stuff. the toppings were delicious. the goat steak was well cooked, but i think goat meat is a little tough. still delicious
ijPWR6.jpg
dessert breakfast at yolk. was joined by a model friend of a friend. when she mentioned getting a job at nivea in thailand i was sorely tempted to make a joke about ladyboys in thaliand. crepes suzette
ijTTWw.jpg
red velvet cake french toast
ijPUJy.jpg
i also had an eggs benedict. quite good and at decent prices too. eggs benedict was memorable. havent had a good one in awhile. truffles at whole foods
ijTN7Y.jpg
also got to try dom perignon 2002, the recent opus one (30 second finish no joke), a flight of champagne, some beer, and a plate of soft cheeses. om nom nom. love the whole foods here. also met some random girl who started talking to me about junya watanabe and jun takahashi The Bristol best ******* restaurant of the entire trip (and one of our cheapest meals). thanks for the tip. would move to chicago just for the bristol. very good relaxed service. left a nice 30% tip.
ijPyL2.jpg
last word. so good.
ijPwDu.jpg
monkey bread with dill butter. everything was delicious although i didnt taste much of the dill in teh butter.
ijU80M.jpg
charred dandelion green salad with couscous (?), dried currants, mandarin oranges. i thought it was pretty good. charred flavors were well balanced with the bitterness of the greens, the oilyness, the sweetness of the fruit, but nobody else on the table liked it like i did. i loved the smoky flavors of the char. whatever. more for me.
ijU6sE.jpg
goat and caper pate. goat rillette. cornichons. pickled spicy waxed white beans. homemade mustard. really really delicious
ijQbhK.jpg
bone marrow. shallot jam. parsley shallot salad. homemade bread. i thought the beefy bread didnt go that well with the subtle flavors of the marrow. it was damn ******* good on the white baguette bread tho from the previous dish. loved the jam
ijP3bG.jpg
slow cooked skate. white asparagus. furikake-ish stuff on top. i thought it was a well balanced dish. loved the textures on the fish
imgMcg.jpg
raviolo stuffed with ricotta with a brown butter sauce. this was damn delicious. rustic and simple, but well executed.
ijPwDs.jpg
pork tail. cornichons. creem fraysh (?). dumpling cakes?. loved it. very porky.
ijPWR4.jpg
Dessert at Hot Chocolate
imkJgW.jpg
Brioche donuts with chocolate dip and kettle corn. It was ok. I would've liked the donuts with more chew
imgU8A.jpg
chocolate souffle (?) tort with coffee ice cream and a pretzel. shortest souffle i've seen, but still delicious
imgWGI.jpg
one banana two banana. i dont remember exactly what was in it (bananas, marshmellows, icecream caramel). all i know is i licked my plate and was sad when they took it away before i could dip the donuts in them
imltvg.jpg
dreamsicle. baked alaska, vanilla milkshake, cookie. quite delicious
imglNU.jpg
pu erh. tasted of orange marmalade. really enjoyed it and it went nicely with the rich desserts
imk82s.jpg
hot chocolate. apparently it was a bit too much after a few sips
imgsms.jpg
Drinks at the violet hour. waited maybe 30 minutes to get in. Drinks were worth the wait. The hangover + upper respiratory infection, chills, fever, body aches were a little more debatable
imlkOA.jpg
imkNxk.jpg
pap van winkle 23. gorgeous. great caramel, toast, cinnamon, coffee, star anise, vanilla flavors.
imgMce.jpg
pegu club. aviation. some house cocktail. how all cocktails should be made
imgOkm.jpg
Sprinkles. They were quite pleasant and hit the spot. not worthy of crazy hype, but well made cupcakes (moist cakes, nice flavors, good buttercream)
imgyAE.jpg
there was pizzeria uno on the last day in the car. the filling was ok, but the pie crust was gross. we also had italian beef, chicago dogs, and cake shakes at portello's the night we got in. would highly recommend all three. was sorely tempted every night to go get some more. wow that took forever to write. anyways. hope you guys enjoy the pictures

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow, well that's one way to repay us
smile.gif
!

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pix. Glad to hear you had a good time aside from your illness.

What did you think of Lola?

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
damnit dude, do you know how hungry your post just made me!

luckily hannahs bretzels is only a block away

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Damn dude. You literally ate your way through Chicago. You chose great places though. How much weight did you put on?

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice trip! I gotta plug Manny's delicatessen. Best corned beef/pastrami sandwich outside of New York. That and Eli's cheesecake. Yup.

Oski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan
Damn dude. You literally ate your way through Chicago. You chose great places though. How much weight did you put on?

+1
lol8[1].gif

BP348

Reaction score
Great pics and nice write up!

Sorry about Uno's, there are much better pizza places.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Nice trip! I gotta plug Manny's delicatessen. Best corned beef/pastrami sandwich. That and Eli's cheesecake. Yup.

FTFY

Love those potato pancakes.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude - you are clearly not Jewish. Manny's is good.. but it's not a NY deli. Check out Pastrami Queen or Katz's or Ben's ... it's not even a contest. Plus - latkes are for Chanukkah. A proper deli sandwich deserves a Knish... which, incidentally, you can get a GREAT one at Ashkenaz. Sadly, they serve Vienna meats
ffffuuuu.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Dude - you are clearly not Jewish. Manny's is good.. but it's not a NY deli. Check out Pastrami Queen or Katz's or Ben's ... it's not even a contest. Plus - latkes are for Chanukkah. A proper deli sandwich deserves a Knish... which, incidentally, you can get a GREAT one at Ashkenaz. Sadly, they serve Vienna meats
ffffuuuu.gif

+1 on katz's. you keep saying your going to drag your ass out to the burbs, man, and you never do.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed the trip report and photos -- good stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads