1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chicago: Your favorite thing(s) to do

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Aug 4, 2008.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Damn son. I live in the building behind TS. Yeah, the burgers kinda suck, but for the most part the food there is really good for a bar.

2. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Damn son! I PM you and receive a reply almost instantly. I post in this thread and same thing. Do you live in the Styleforum, or do you just have it hardwired into your brain?

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Just bored as shit right now. [​IMG]

4. Blurv

Blurv Well-Known Member

Definitely go to Wrigley and get a pizza. There's also an amazing art museum. I've only been there once so maybe the locals would be more helpful

If you're in Wrigleyville definitely stop by Ian's Pizza by the Slice. They're known for their Mac and Cheese pizza but have a ton of other options and rotating specials.

If you want more Chicago pizza try one of the city's pizza tours. They run around 50 bucks for the walking versions and you get to sample several of the city's best pizza places. The architecture tour is great as well, and the Sears(aka Willis) tower has a new glass bottom perch called The Ledge.

5. lcmm01

lcmm01 Member

Lou Malnattis. My favorite pizza by far. If you like to settle, Gios.

If you're looking to wait for a while and don't mind Edgewater, check out Great Lake. GQ rated it best pizza in the U.S. They don't take reservations and don't expect a table with a party over 4.

What's fun to do?

The clubs here aren't that great, but it does feel great to be an elitist with bottle service, bypassing the lines. After you get inside, though, it's pretty much the same.

Playoff basketball is still in town. The Bulls are the top seed. Catching a game doesn't come on the cheap during playoff time, but it really is quite the experience.

I like the Field museum quite a bit. Could spend hours there. Definitely my favorite scholastic activity.

Could go on and on about Chicago, but really, I'm sure everything has been said.

6. Blurv

Blurv Well-Known Member

Lou Malnattis. My favorite pizza by far. If you like to settle, Gios.

Disagree. Gios and Lous are completely different. Lou's (along with Pizzeria Uno and Gino's) do Chicago Style which is sauce, cheese/toppings, crust from top to bottom. Giordano's does stuffed pizza, which is sauce, dough, lots of cheese/toppings, dough from top to bottom. The best pizza in Chicago IMO is not from one of the well known places, but from The Art of Pizza, which makes a meatlovers that has loads of bacon and roast beef.

If the thicker pizza isn't your thing try La Madia, which does thin, wood-fired, personal pizzas that are excellent and cook in minutes.

7. colabear

colabear Senior member

went to girl & the goat on tuesday and tried the pizza with goat meat, quite tasty

fall, winter, spring, summer near the lake always very cozy.

I like grocery hopping especially when they give samples : )

rainy days at Navy Pier then going to see a movie at the nearby Imax theater

Europa bookstore then MCA store/bookstore

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

The Publican rocks.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^lol. i hope sfield doesnt see that

Great pix. Glad to hear you had a good time aside from your illness.

What did you think of Lola?

wow this is way late, but if you have a chance i would recommend stopping by lola and getting the beef cheek pierogis. i still think about it sometimes.

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I went last year. It was an awesome trip. one of my favorite things was when I had to drive out to a town called bollingbrook which had these memorable cheap eats: [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't know how to explain frozen custard from this place. I even made a thread about it. Even the plain vanilla or chocolate frozen custard was epic. I tried frozen custard here at the Shake Shack (only the pumpkin pie seasonal stuff came close) and in NJ (paled in comparison). [​IMG] [​IMG] I had it there in bollingbrook the first time. then I had it twice on the southside pretty good. a lot like the Harlem Fried Chicken places here only busier. Great drunk food.

11. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

Just came back from a few days in Chicago (first time back in nearly six years). I must say that it is the only city in the U.S. that rivals N.Y.; L.A. is fun and laid-back but is more a sprawl than a real city. Also, something about exploring a city with a pretty girl by your side adds to the fun.

Some of my activities were:
    Had amazing espresso at Wormhole Coffee in Wicker Park
    Checked out the Blues Festival in Millennium Park
    Walked around for five hours inside the Art Institute of Chicago
    Drank Talisker at a window table inside Signature Room at Hancock Observatory

12. kuslamb

kuslamb Senior member

We have a wedding weekend in Chicago and leave this coming Thursday. Pretty excited, have not been in a while. I usually try to avoid the discount food reservation websites but had a restaurant in particular recommended to me and my friend sent me a link to 30% off when the reservation is made thru VillageVines.com - Its called Ai Japanese Restaurant. Unless I hear of bad reviews (which I really could find online, but usually just ignore due to how vastly different they usually are, we are going to go thru with it). It does have a nice look to it and a nice menu, so we will see. http://www.aichicago.us/ We have always had good meals @ Quartino - In River North. Definitely Italian, but small plates as opposed to big bowls of pasta. Think Italian tapas. Also has great wine served by the carafe that are good for large parties. The place seems to be full of large tables 6+ and they really handle large groups well. http://www.quartinochicago.com/information.html Last time there me and friends drunkenly stumbled upon Devil Dawgs - Lincoln Park. We had been drinking all day during college football season and were in between games and we all thought it was pretty damn good. Granted, we had had a really long day, and about anything would have been good, but again, we enjoyed the hell out of it. Would love to hear other opinions. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/2/152992...-Dawgs-Chicago We are considering going to the Lake all day on Saturday. We have never done this and the others in our group are not locals, so any knowledge or recommendations on this idea would be great. We are not set on it, but just think it sounds fun.

13. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Food wise:
    Great Lake Pizza is great.
    Fugo De Chao , Brazilian steakhouse is also great.

check out sites like livingsocial and groupon to see what is going on in the area.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Food wise:
    Great Lake Pizza is great.
    Fugo De Chao , Brazilian steakhouse is also great.

check out sites like livingsocial and groupon to see what is going on in the area.

Umm, fogo de chao is a chain with like 20+ locations...

If you're gonna make the trip, why not try something unique or at least go to a restaurant that you can't also eat at in indianapolis?

15. Chexmix78

Chexmix78 New Member

The museums are amazing. I spent a whole week going to all of them.

16. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

[​IMG]

Great food.

FTFY

17. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Sorry if any of this stuff has already been mentioned:
    Rocky's Tacos Super Tortas Futboleras, on Clark in Rogers Park
    Chicken Shack, in Evanston
    Bacino's (for the deep dish spinach supreme), in Lincoln Park
    Sun Wah BBQ (for the Peking duck) on Bway in Rogers Park
    Piece (for the white clam pizza, though it's not as good as New Haven pizza), in Wicker Park
    Cemitas Pueblas, in Humboldt Park
    Hecky's, in Evanston
    The Berghoff, in the loop

18. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

The Berghoff, in the loop

Is this place still open? I thought it had closed.

19. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

RE-opened and was recently featured on a show w/ Emeril on the cooking channel

20. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Yeah, it actually turned out that their 'closing' was basically just a cheap way to lay off all their unionized waitstaff and drum up some publicity in the process.