• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago Tailoring

TheCharlieMan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am not sure how many people from Chicago will see this but I am looking for a truly great tailor on the Chicago are who not only does excellent work but who also understands what a neapolitan jacket is supposed to be and look like. I will often buy Cesare Attolini or Kiton suits on Ebay but I have yet to find a proper tailor who knows how to help with the basics. Also, I would love to find a bespoke tailor in the Chicago area who can also make a neapolitan style suit.

Thank you in advance.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris Despos. He also posts here.

He’s on Oak Street. Whether Neapolitan tailoring is his style, you can discuss with him.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despos is real deal.

TheCharlieMan

Reaction score
I was told Despos doesn't always do alterations and for his bespoke suits he can take a year to complete. Is that true?

mrbrioni

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am not sure how many people from Chicago will see this but I am looking for a truly great tailor on the Chicago are who not only does excellent work but who also understands what a neapolitan jacket is supposed to be and look like. I will often buy Cesare Attolini or Kiton suits on Ebay but I have yet to find a proper tailor who knows how to help with the basics. Also, I would love to find a bespoke tailor in the Chicago area who can also make a neapolitan style suit.

Thank you in advance.

I’m also looking for a tailor, and we wear similar clothes.

I have brought stuff to Despos (a few years ago), and he wouldn’t do any alterations for me. With that being said I did order a bespoke sport coat, suit, and overcoat. I paid 1/2 down - after 6 months and 0 communication I was told it would be a few more months until he can start on my items.

I expressed my frustration and he offered to throw in a pair of pants for free (if my memory is correct) if I move forward with my order - otherwise he would refund.

At the time I was working with Anderson & Sheppard as well, who has amazing customer service making me even more frustrated with the complete contrast of how they each dealt with me as a customer.

I was truly looking forward to working with someone local, and maybe I’ll revisit at a later time.

driving glove

Reaction score
I’m also looking for a tailor, and we wear similar clothes.

I have brought stuff to Despos (a few years ago), and he wouldn’t do any alterations for me. With that being said I did order a bespoke sport coat, suit, and overcoat. I paid 1/2 down - after 6 months and 0 communication I was told it would be a few more months until he can start on my items.

I expressed my frustration and he offered to throw in a pair of pants for free (if my memory is correct) if I move forward with my order - otherwise he would refund.

At the time I was working with Anderson & Sheppard as well, who has amazing customer service making me even more frustrated with the complete contrast of how they each dealt with me as a customer.

I was truly looking forward to working with someone local, and maybe I’ll revisit at a later time.
I think that Chris Despos has had to rebuild his team and finding tailoring talent these days might be like looking for ivory-billed woodpeckers in the Louisiana swamp. Covid 19 has hurt many of us and I think his operation is no different. Like you, I have had work delayed. I know when he is able to complete my pieces, it will be done to the very best of his ability, and not before (without compromises). His ethos reminds me of “the lost patrol”. Sometimes there is a dreadful blizzard but the right ones keep at their task, regardless of the progress made.

ruvort

Reaction score
If you are willing to venture a little ways from Chicago, Kevin Koch is a good choice. His location has caused him to slip under the radar, but he is the real deal.

He is working on a rebranding to get more visibility within the bespoke community, but this is his current website: www.kochhouseofdesign.com/

pricklyplums

Reaction score
If you are willing to venture a little ways from Chicago, Kevin Koch is a good choice. His location has caused him to slip under the radar, but he is the real deal.

He is working on a rebranding to get more visibility within the bespoke community, but this is his current website: www.kochhouseofdesign.com/
Nobody wants to go to Indiana especially amidst a pandemic.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What have you commissioned from him, and what is his house style like? Can you share any photos and rough pricing?

ruvort

Reaction score
What have you commissioned from him, and what is his house style like? Can you share any photos and rough pricing?
When I lived in the area, I had a suit, a few pairs of odd trousers, and an odd vest made. He doesn't have a true "house style", but I think he personally favors a relaxed Cifonelli.

In his own words: "Whatever style you want it to be. I didn't spend 40 years tailoring to become a one-trick-pony. I take pride in the fact that I can make more than one object, one way."

Since I am no longer in the area, it has been some time since I ordered from him and am not sure on his current pricing. I can see about taking pictures of what I had made.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I lived in the area, I had a suit, a few pairs of odd trousers, and an odd vest made. He doesn't have a true "house style", but I think he personally favors a relaxed Cifonelli.

In his own words: "Whatever style you want it to be. I didn't spend 40 years tailoring to become a one-trick-pony. I take pride in the fact that I can make more than one object, one way."

Since I am no longer in the area, it has been some time since I ordered from him and am not sure on his current pricing. I can see about taking pictures of what I had made.
No worries about taking pictures if not super straightforward. Did you like the results and anything you’d do differently in hindsight?

ruvort

Reaction score
No worries about taking pictures if not super straightforward. Did you like the results and anything you’d do differently in hindsight?

I do like them, he really did a great job on the handwork. I have since refined my style a bit and prefer a different silhouette, so they haven't been worn in awhile.

Since he can make pretty much anything you can dream up, I'd say to take advantage of it and step out of the box a little bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics