• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago Tailor? Official Thread

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvibes
Update - Mr. Despos is not currently accepting alteration work
frown.gif

EDIT: Just to be clear, it sounds more like a "we're totally inundated with bespoke work/alterations for existing clients," not a "we're not doing alterations anymore" sort of thing

It's true. We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to keep ourselves (relatively) busy with bespoke work. Alterations simply took up too much time which was beginning to slow down delivery times for our bespoke orders.

We are, however, still able to take in more bespoke clients - the simple fact was the alterations were slowing everything down.

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
So who's the next best choice for alterations in chicago?
After browsing the forums a bit: Soph says it's Tailor's Choice. Several people say it's Boguslaw Whatever, but Soph says that he does crappy work. I've seen Paul Chang (180 N. Lasalle) recommended several times. I think I'm going to try him instead of all the Oak Street guys, as I can walk there from my office. Also, thanks for the clarification James, and congratulations on the increased business.

deaddog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvibes
After browsing the forums a bit:
Soph says it's Tailor's Choice.
Several people say it's Boguslaw Whatever, but Soph says that he does crappy work.

I've seen Paul Chang (180 N. Lasalle) recommended several times. I think I'm going to try him instead of all the Oak Street guys, as I can walk there from my office.

Also, thanks for the clarification James, and congratulations on the increased business.

Although YMMV, I do not recommend Richard Bennet at Adams/LaSalle. I've taken a number of things there. Almost everything requires a redo and I'm not that picky - my dry cleaner does some of my pants (shorten/cuff) and gets it right every time. Also, RB is not cheap -- to shorten sleeves (non-working) and let out sides seams a touch at waist on a jacket, he charged $120. That seemed like a lot to me.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tailor's Touch on Oak does decent work. He has an appreciation for quality, materials, etc. He's really busy though, so be prepared to tell him exactly what you want. He's a solid tailor though and seems to get classic styling. The others on Oak are very into fashion and very in and out so I can't recommend them.

heavyd

Reaction score
Despos is now only doing custom, no longer doing alterations. (I mean for existing clients I'm sure thats not true. )

I just called.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he is too busy.
If you only had gone to him a few months ago!

heavyd

Reaction score
How much will a grey flannel / cashmere winter suit run me at Despos?

Reverse-pleat fat lapel, kind of thing Royal Tennebaum wore?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
How much will a grey flannel / cashmere winter suit run me at Despos?

Reverse-pleat fat lapel, kind of thing Royal Tennebaum wore?

I believe his prices for MTM not bespoke starte at $3700.00 or in that range.
Bespoke is more.
It will also depend on the fabric. He has tons of great fabric in his Chicago store.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have had a significant increase in orders for custom clothes and don't have enough staff to accomodate alteration work.

For the record.

Custom work starts at $3200.00 or $4200.00. Man hours and productiion techniques are the distinction for the 2 price points. Choice of cloth will raise the price from this. This has been the pricing since Fall 2006. Price goes up 10% every three years.
Delivery, at present, is late December or January

Don't want to sound like an ad. Just stating information.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys have to see his work. Or Art as it really is amazing!
I would say his work is an extremely high value for what you pay.
As soon as my bank account is there, I am getting measured.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
You guys have to see his work. Or Art as it really is amazing!
I would say his work is an extremely high value for what you pay.

+1 Great tailor and great to work with.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
there is also Paul chang on North lasalle.

Have you used him? I have and I would not recommend him. I would sooner use Boguslaw.

deaddog

Reaction score
I do not recommend the tailors at Richard Bennett in the Loop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads