• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago shopping

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
I hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend.  My wife and I spent the weekend in Chicago.  It rained like crazy most of the time.  That did however force us to take it easy.  I took the opportunity to hit the shop on the "Magnificant Mile" and I was a bit dissapointed.  Here are my thoughts.
For overall selection, quality and most knowledgeable staff, the Saks Men's Store was the winner hands down.  They carried the major names that we talk about such as Kiton, Oxxford, Canali, etc.  But they also had a few Ciffonelli suits which I found quite nice.  The selection at Neiman Marcus was typical, they had a large Isaia selection, which is my personal favorite, but nothing too outstanding.  Both Saks and Neiman's were beginning their sales.  Keep your eyes peeled for the next 4 or 5 weeks, there may be bargains to be had.  I visited Barney's, and it was the first time that I was in a real Barney's.  I have been in the outlets, and all I have to say is where d othey get the stuff they sell at the outlets?  Sure don't see the quality stuff at the outlets.  Went into the Paul Stuart store and looked at the Genson Masterpieces up close.  They are very nice shoes.  I would agree with those that say they are a toss up with the C&J handgrade.  Couldn't find a pair of Lattanzi's and Mantellassi's anywhere on the mile.  The Ralph Lauren store had four Purple Label suits, and not a single pair of EG's.  The Hugo Boss Store had no Baldessarini items at all.  While I had a good time, I think I need to make a trip to the Big Apple to truly be able to drool over first rate items.  Here is a picture of me and my wife going out to dinner. I am not sure what my wife is wearing, but I am wearing a Baldessarini Cashmere suit, the Ralph Lauren EG's that many of us bought on Bluefly, and a Brioni knit shirt.  

On the way back to Michigan I stopped in Indiana and picked up my annual 4th of July fireworks motherload.  Here is a photo of this year's haul.

rsp1

Reaction score
Did you check out the George Greene boutique on Oak Street? Probably the most upscale boutique -- handles Kiton MTM/bespoke, etc.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Saks has a good selection, though the man who seems to be in charge of the Oxxford/Kiton boutique doesn't seem to be very pleasant. I remember A Harris commenting on this man's demeanor in another post some time ago, so apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. George Greene is a nice store, and the owners are pleasant. Syd Jerome(2 N. LaSalle) has a very good selection, though my experience there wasn't particularly good. Steve B. loves it, though. There's a place called Morris and Sons which sells in-season merchandise at discounted rates. I've never been to it, though. Davis for Men(they only have their North Avenue location now) is pretty nice. Davis moved its smaller 900 N. Michigan store to the Water Tower Place, but closed that location fairly recently. Neiman Marcus on Michigan Avenue has a huge Oxxford selection. I prefer the Northbrook Neiman Marcus, though - I would recommend taking a look next time you're in the area, HRHAndrew. The Northbrook NM has Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford and Isaia for suits; Brioni, Borrelli, Kiton, Fray, Lorenzini, and Truzzi shirts.

Len

Reaction score
A great tailor with a beautiul store in Chicago is Chris Despos. You get a away from the "sameness" of the big name stores when you visit him. And better quality merchandise.

brescd01

Reaction score
Your remark about "what your wife is wearing" is so funny. I am exactly the same way, I have no clue about what the Hell "they " do and I am not eager to learn. She is very beautiful I think. Your suit is lovely, but the coat is very long. Is this your preference, or is this to make you appear shorter (I can see you are very tall))?

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments on stores to visit next time I make it to Chicago. Â I had a couple of those on my list to hit, but it was raining so hard much of the time that I was stuck in the spa. Â
the man who seems to be in charge of the Oxxford/Kiton boutique doesn't seem to be very pleasant. Â I remember A Harris commenting on this man's demeanor in another post some time ago, so apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Your remark about "what your wife is wearing" is so funny. I am exactly the same way, I have no clue about what the Hell "they " do and I am not eager to learn. She is very beautiful I think.
Quote Your suit is lovely, but the coat is very long. Is this your preference, or is this to make you appear shorter (I can see you are very tall))?[/quote] It does look long in that photo. Â Probably has more to do with that I am not standing up too straight as I often do when I take pictures with the missus as I like to be closer in height.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads