• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago shopping

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
For food, the best pizza I have ever had is at Great Lake in Andersonville. It's tiny, and you have to wait forever for take out, so if you are even thinking of that call the minute they open, or show up when they open to get a table. It's not deep dish (I don't like that anyway), but it is damn good. I can't say enough good things about it. I used to go there before they blew up with reviews in GQ, etc...and I still go there, even though the service takes forever. Some people complain about the prices, but I think you get what you pay for, which to me is perfection.
If you are up in that part of the city - Tweet and m.henry both have great brunch

Oski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bassmanpatsfan18
+1. Hejfina was great.

Bought my first pair of APC's there
frown.gif

For Chicago style pizza I'd also suggest Connie's, by Archer and Canal.
Or Bacino's in Lincoln Park, they have the best stuffed spinach pizza by far.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
what do any of you know about my city?! actually, robin and bryce seemed to have named the best of the bunch...
I'd hope you think so since I did get them all from you after all.

Pat

Reaction score
bump

i am heading up to chicago for a few days tomorrow, and would like to know some good spots for streetwear and denim

i like band of outsiders, common projects, nom de guerre, dior jeans, basically all the sf uniform type stuff lol

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barneys
Barneys co op (tell Bradley Kevin sent you if he's working)
Apartment no 9
Saks
Marc by Marc Jacobs store is kinda cool

thebunk

Reaction score
I am heading to Chicago this week and will be seeking out my first pair raw denim jeans. Where would you guys suggest I go to, considering I am a newb and will need good level of service?

PS - I am staying at the knickerbocker and will ne cabbing or walking

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barneys, Barneys Co Op, Untitled all are good options

lummers13

Reaction score
I've been to:

Haberdash on Wells and Division has some Nudie raw denim and their second store opened on State St, in between Ohio and Ontario (easy access to and from the highway)

Untitled in Wicker Park - Nudies, Naked and Famous etc

Penelope's has APCs

thebunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Barneys is only a block and a half from my hotel so I will go there for sure.

Quick question to thise that know. I have big thighs and am a 34\\32 Levis 501. Anyone recommend the best brand to start with? Thinking APC Standards.

deepitm

Reaction score
Space 519 in 900 North Michigan bldg is extremely well curated and carries a lot more than just clothes. The guys used to run a place called Jake that is now defunct. It's a good place to gather inspiration from and one of the better informed places in Chicago.

Barney's Flagship at the corner of Oak and Rush has a good denim selection, among many other things. Chris is an informed, honest, helpful sales associate there.

Penelope's on Division in Wicker Park is quite good. Someone said they have never found anything interesting there. I find that hard to believe as I probably buy stuff from there 10x per year. Well curated despite the size and quite ahead of the curve for Chicago.

Haberdash on State is better than the one on Wells. But sometimes the sales associates try too hard. Not really "streetwear" but a cool shop.

Saks Men's on Michigan Ave is quite impressive. Make sure you take the elevator up to the 2nd and 3rd floors. SAs can be uppity, but a couple have great style.

Apartment Number 9 is a cool store (and a great song). A nice blend of sportswear as well as things that could be incorporated into a formal wardrobe.

As far as more name-brand brick and mortars, there is a Carhartt store now on Milwaukee in Wicker Park and the Levi's store on Mich Ave is usually pretty solid.

+1 on Publican, Avec, Xoco. I would strongly advise against any Rosebud affiliated restaurants. If I were gonna do a chain affiliated restaurant, I'd stick with Lettuce Entertain You spots. For other food spots relatively near touristy areas, I'd recommend Naha, Purple Pig, Sepia, Al's Italian Beef, Gilt Bar, Twin Anchors.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to necro this thread, but haven't shopped in Chicago in ages. Paul Stuart is a shell compared to its former self and Barney's is R.I.P. Where are the good shops these days?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads