• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago Michelin Guide

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The list of starred restaurants was released today, a day early, after the (accurate) list of star ratings was published yesterday on Yelp. List is below:

*** Alinea
*** L2O
** Avenues at the Peninsula Hotel
** Charlie Trotter's
** Ria at the Elysian Hotel
* Blackbird
* Boka
* Bonsoiree
* Crofton on Wells
* Everest
* Graham Elliot
* Longman & Eagle
* Naha
* NoMI
* Schwa
* Seasons
* Sepia
* Sixteen
* Spiaggia
* Takashi
* Topolobampo
* Tru
* Vie

Michelin released its Bib Gourmand (excellent food for a good value, I believe under $40 for an entree appetizer and a glass of wine or dessert) list last week, which includes the following restaurants:

"¢ Ann Sather
"¢ Belly Shack
"¢ Bistro 110
"¢ The Bristol
"¢ Browntrout
"¢ Ceres' Table
"¢ Cumin
"¢ De Cero
"¢ deca
"¢ DeCOLORES
"¢ Frances' Deli
"¢ Frontera Grill
"¢ Gilt Bar
"¢ Girl & The Goat
"¢ Green Zebra
"¢ Han 202
"¢ Hopleaf
"¢ Jaipur
"¢ Kith & Kin
"¢ La Creperie
"¢ La Petite Folie
"¢ Los Nopales
"¢ Lula CafÃ
00a9.png

"¢ M. Henry
"¢ mado
"¢ Mexique
"¢ Mixteco Grill
"¢ Nana
"¢ Nightwood
"¢ Opart Thai House
"¢ Otom
"¢ Paramount Room
"¢ Perennial
"¢ The Publican
"¢ The Purple Pig
"¢ Raj Darbar
"¢ Riccardo Trattoria
"¢ Smak-Tak
"¢ Smoque BBQ
"¢ Spacca Napoli
"¢ Taste of Peru
"¢ Thai Village
"¢ Twin Anchors
"¢ Urban Belly
"¢ Veerasway
"¢ West Town Tavern

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
::dismissive wank:: Michelin places too much stock in **** other than the food. I couldn't care less how beautiful the space is or how professional the waitstaff. My favorite (one) starred restaurant on that list doesn't even have waitiers, but for my money kicks the living **** out of Trotter's.

That budget list is pretty on point, though. Now that I no longer live in Chicago, and don't have to deal with the waits, I highly recommend Taste of Peru, just don't take the owner's wine suggestions.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I think most people would disagree with you on that.

It's something a lot of people (me included) take for granted. When it's good you don't notice and don't give proper credit. When it's bad you (I) get really pissed off and it ruins everything.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's something a lot of people (me included) take for granted. When it's good you don't notice and don't give proper credit. When it's bad you (I) get really pissed off and it ruins everything.
Absolutely. And IMO, great food can outweigh bad service. However, it's ridiculous for someone to think that service shouldn't be taken into account when making a list of the best restaurants in a city.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Absolutely. And IMO, great food can outweigh bad service. However, it's ridiculous for someone to think that service shouldn't be taken into account when making a list of the best restaurants in a city.
Bring me my beer. Seriously, service matters. I think people focus on the wrong issues w/r/t service sometimes, but good, professional service is part of what a restaurant provides. Sometimes, and I mention no names, pompous servers try to upsell you on Champagne turning a marginal dinner into a relatively poor one. Sometimes.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
Also LOL @ Kahan tweeting about Avec getting "snubbed." Also LOL @ De Cero getting even mentioned in this book.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Service absolutely matters, but not to the extent that it plays into the reviews. Restaurants without old-world grand restaurant-style service always suffer when it comes to Michelin.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Service absolutely matters, but not to the extent that it plays into the reviews. Restaurants without old-world grand restaurant-style service always suffer when it comes to Michelin.
I think you are making a mistake w/r/t understanding what Michelin is identifying. It isn't the "best food," but the restaurants fitting a certain standard. How you rate service as a component of dining doesn't really matter, since they aren't rating on your scale. Also, they are terrible at understanding local food scenes, so that can make some things look silly.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1, especially as someone who spends a lot of time asking about what's in various dishes (dietary restrictions). L20 was at another level from any of the other restaurants I've been to in terms of service (haven't been to Alinea). It really enhanced the experience in notable ways.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so who wants to go to alinea with me?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny Avec gets no mention when it's the only place I'd ever go back to of Kahan's establishments.

Tru is more than a 1 star, as is Everest. Those to me, are solid 2 star establishments. If Schwa were fancier you could say the same.

Spiaggia is also more than a star, but it needs to get out of the 80s first.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Funny Avec gets no mention when it's the only place I'd ever go back to of Kahan's establishments. Tru is more than a 1 star, as is Everest. Those to me, are solid 2 star establishments. If Schwa were fancier you could say the same. Spiaggia is also more than a star, but it needs to get out of the 80s first.
+1. Food and service are definitely >1* Also de cero sucks, big time. One of the worst meals I've had with bad service and I paid a pretty penny for it. I felt totally cheated, so I asked the waiter if I could take a bottle of their hot sauce as recompense. He agreed, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Service at the Elysian is a problem but the food is good.

There's definitely a few omissions... Les Nomades, Oceanique etc... they deserve some stars for sure.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Les Nomades not getting a star is a big snub. I'm also surprised at how many ones there are, while so few twos. I would think Boka, Tru, and Graham Elliot would have two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads