• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago (Mich. Ave.) Sales Update

jbc217

Reaction score
Since I always gain much from you all by lurking but seem rarely have much to offer in return, I thought I'd offer what little I have: an update on the sales at Chicago's mag mile stores, from which I just returned. Neiman Marcus: Pre-Sale ended yesterday and now the 50% off on top of already reduced prices is officically in effect. Â Some of the deals I spotted: Armani ties for $35, Prada ties for $45, a few Borelli shirts for around $200, quite a few "Brioni for NM" shirts at around $150. Â Lots of Paul Smith and Burberry in the shirt bins yesterday. Â Upstairs, there was still plenty of stuff left on the floor racks, but I noticed that there were two huge wall-length racks of clothing already claimed in the pre-sale--the best is gone, I'm sure, but had I the money, there still seemed plenty left to buy. Â Just remember to bring your NM card or AMEX or (I didn't know there still was such a thing) Diner's Club card as they do not take Visa or MC (I got a lecture on why--let me know if you want to hear it
smile.gif
) Saks--some 40% on top of already reduced prices, but last call doesn't start till this weekend (they said). Â I picked up a pair of Canali slacks and RLPL black cords for $100 each. Bloomingdale's--many 40-50% off already reduced items throughout store, though I found selection disappointing. Filene's Basment--though the 60%-off-already-reduced rack seemed worthless, there is a small section over by the overcoats with Brioni sweaters (among other high-high-end items) at deep discount. Barney's--not much happening here. Â Selection was small and I was told discounts wouldn't get much deeper because they send it all back to their NY outlet. I wish I had time to visit this coming weekend, when it looks like the last calls will be in full swing but, alas, with my first baby on the way, I'm not sure how many more sartorial splurges I can afford. Brad

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Had a Diner's Club once. Really a fantastic card, in its limited sphere of use.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
...they do not take Visa or MC (I got a lecture on why--let me know if you want to hear it
smile.gif
) ...
I'm all ears.
thumbs-up.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbc217,Feb. 01 2005,15:01
...they do not take Visa or MC (I got a lecture on why--let me know if you want to hear it
smile.gif
) ...

I'm all ears. Â
thumbs-up.gif

Kalra explains all

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(jbc217 @ Feb. 01 2005,15:01) ...they do not take Visa or MC (I got a lecture on why--let me know if you want to hear it
smile.gif
) ...
I'm all ears.
thumbs-up.gif

And since I was the instigator of the original post AND added flames to the fire, I as well would like to know why. Jon.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Thanks, Ambulance Chaser. Yikes that was some thread.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to catch a ride down to Chicago with a friend, so I'll add to the sales updates:

Filene's Basement - Both the Michigan and State St. Locations had very similar inventories. Nothing great. Oxxford suits for $999, nothing great as far as denim. Shoes sucked as well. 60% off racks didn't have much to offer - Brioni Polo for $100 - 60%, Brioni cashmere sport coat in moss green for $499 - 60%, and a few Vivienne Westwood pieces as well.

Neiman Marcus - Last Call sale was decent, though the prices were still too high for someone with a closet closet that's overflowing as it is. As JBC said, lots of Paul Smith and Dolce & Gabbana shirts that would be around $100 after the 50%. Also, tons of Purple Label items in the RL section of the store. A bunch of Brioni and Borrelli for NM. Shoes were picked over, but a few Pumas designed by the Japanese guy, and some Prada Sports. Upstairs they had quite a bit of Paul Smith, Prada, a few Etro shirts and pants, etc. I didn't venture into the suit section.

Marshall Fields - A bunch of 40-60% off racks. A lot of Puma, Adidas, Diesel, and Asics Onisuka Tiger shoes for $19-$35 a pair. A lot of DSquared items were 40% off. Same with PS Paul Smith, though I won't pay $100 (sale price, retail was $240) for a shirt made in India.

Nordstrom Rack - Streetwear fans, this is place is a must to stop at. Dozens of pairs of Seven for All Mankind, Jean Paul Da'mage, True Religion, and Chip & Pepper jeans for $70. Picked up a pair of Da'mage and I just love them. Jake Agave jeans for $50, and some uglier Diesels for $60 there as well.

There is also a rack of Sixty stuff that just came in (same company as Energie), and a bunch of Energie shirts for 50% off the Rack price. Shoes were OK, but prices were pretty good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads