• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CHICAGO-FOLK

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 2 hours south, thinking of making a roadtrip up before Christmas. Anyone on the board know if the sales on Mich Ave. are worth the trip? Looking for suits and sportcoats, 42L.

Thanks.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
John- save your money. Day after Christmas should be very worthwhile. Haven't been there since middle of last December, but here are the highlights I remember:

George Greene, Barney's, Tessuti, Loro Piana on Oak Street.

Sak's on Mich Ave 2nd best one in US.

Neiman's great if you like Brioni and Oxxford- Northbrook better if you like a more varied selection.

Nordstrom OK but IMO Oak Brook is better. Tommy Bahama in same complex.

Nice Zegna boutique.

Davis for Men a little north on North is nice (think they moved, then closed their store on Mich Ave). Mark Shale is somewhere on Michigan and is OK, but I like their Oak Brook store better. You may also find Apt. No. 9 on Damen interesting. Not much in suits or sport coats, but some great merchandise for the younger man. Paul Smith, Fred Perry polos, etc.

Syd Jerome on LaSalle is also a highlight- talk to Scott Shapiro and you'll get great service.

Morris and Sons on Roosevelt Rd. usually has some great deals, but I'm not allowed to say whose clothes they are. Gary Rosenbaum there is a good guy.

And of course you need a hat from Optimo on Western Ave. on the South side. Graham or Kevin can fix you up with the best hats in the world.

Do you want Southern suburbs too? Does anyone know if the Hickey-Freeman outlet is still open in Gary, IN? When I went by there last it was closed.

joseanes

Reaction score
I'm 2 hours south, thinking of making a roadtrip up before Christmas. Anyone on the board know if the sales on Mich Ave. are worth the trip? Looking for suits and sportcoats, 42L. Thanks.
The mathematical approach: 2 hour drive, it is about 120 miles each way. That becomes 240 miles each way. The goverment establishes that the average american car deteriorates and consumes gas and parts at a rate of $0.37. That is about $90 spent on gas, tires, car consumables, and gas. If you have to pay tolls, you get over a $100 bucks already. Of course, you also have to add up the 4 hours on the road. How do you calculate that? You have to save more than $100 (+ whatever price you put on your time) to make it worthwile. The phisolophical approach: I think that this kind of decission has to be made with the heart. Are you going to find something that can't be found anywhere elese, even online? (or something that has to be tried on, as it is the only way you will be able to know if you want it, like a suit). Are you going to learn what looks good on you? Are you going to find out the kind of fit that different brands and styles have? Unfortunately it is difficult to gain that advantage on small city shopping malls. In the end, I bet you will decide to take a saturday to do that
smile.gif
But then again, I do not live near Chicago, and Boston is already cold enough. I just felt like I had to type something.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I mean yes to everything said so far. Plus, I need to get out of town, and Chicago is a good excuse.

So, "before-Christmas-sales" are not really sales, is that the consensus?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads