• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago Breakfast and Hot Dog recommendations

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be staying near Monroe and State this week. Looking for some recommendations for breakfast and hot dogs near there. Really just standard fare for breakfast. Greasy spoon type places are my favorite. Don't want to go too far in the mornings. Also just a good hot dog nearby.

/lamest restaurant recommendation request

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I can recommend you NOT go to hot doug's for a hot dog, and I'll throw that in here before someone comes and recommend its.

If you're really at state and monroe, hop on the red line and go up to Sheridan and have a dog at Byrons. Get off the Sheridan line, walk 1/2 a block up to Irving Park, walk half a block west past a little Italian restaurant (btw, also a pretty solid and cheap italian place if you're interested) and there's a little hot dog stand there. Really solid. Great gyros as well. Get their fries-- that's what they're best known for.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Byron's is right near me. Not kosher, so I can't vouch for it, but everyone I know loves it.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to go to the Wiener's Circle - whether or not it's "the best" is open to debate, but they serve a very archetypical Chicago hot dog (S. Rosen poppy seed bun, boiled Vienna Beef dog, neon green relish, mustard, chopped onion, "sport" peppers, tomato slices). Plus, it's conveniently located in the heart of Lincoln Park on Clark Street and, if you go very late at night, you can see the show as customers and staff heap abuse on each other.

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
You might want to go to the Wiener's Circle - whether or not it's "the best" is open to debate, but they serve a very archetypical Chicago hot dog (S. Rosen poppy seed bun, boiled Vienna Beef dog, neon green relish, mustard, chopped onion, "sport" peppers, tomato slices). Plus, it's conveniently located in the heart of Lincoln Park on Clark Street and, if you go very late at night, you can see the show as customers and staff heap abuse on each other.
This place is for drunk person to go in middle of night after drink too much! The staff will call names of you, and you must to call names of them also! The food is not special for anything, similar of Billy Goat, which is only famous for stupid baseball curse story!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hws
This place is for drunk person to go in middle of night after drink too much! The staff will call names of you, and you must to call names of them also! The food is not special for anything, similar of Billy Goat, which is only famous for stupid baseball curse story!

And the SNL "Cheezburgah, chips, no fries", skit.

Ed, looks like nobody got that you want something close by. Most of these place are a hike. I do not frequent that area but maybe someone who works in the loop will have some ideas.

Meli Cafe is my favorite for breakfast or lunch. It's in Greektown, Halstead & Jackson. Maybe less than a mile west of you. Lou Mitchell's is at 565 Jackson and a classic Chicago breakfast place but very mundane. Ina's on Randolph is good but a bit farther than the other 2. If you do make a trek, Toast, on Damen is a great neighborhood place. I have no idea about hot dogs in the loop. 35th Street Red Hots is great but location is not. South of downtown, next to Cellular Field.

Frontera Grill is worth a stop for outstanding Mexican food. You have to time it right or wait forever. You can seat yourself and eat in the bar or at a bar in the restaurant, but you have to time it right. Arrive earlier than they open or after 1:30. Worth it though.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Atwood Cafe is my favorite place for breakfast in Chicago. It's in the Burnam Hotel at the corner of N. State and West Washington.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I can recommend you NOT go to hot doug's for a hot dog, and I'll throw that in here before someone comes and recommend its. If you're really at state and monroe, hop on the red line and go up to Sheridan and have a dog at Byrons. Get off the Sheridan line, walk 1/2 a block up to Irving Park, walk half a block west past a little Italian restaurant (btw, also a pretty solid and cheap italian place if you're interested) and there's a little hot dog stand there. Really solid. Great gyros as well. Get their fries-- that's what they're best known for.
is that where we had pizza? That place was awesome.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Ed, looks like nobody got that you want something close by. Most of these place are a hike. I do not frequent that area but maybe someone who works in the loop will have some ideas.
My recommendation is only 15 minutes away. Not exactly a hike.
Originally Posted by Connemara
is that where we had pizza? That place was awesome.

Yes indeedy.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My recommendation is only 15 minutes away. Not exactly a hike.

15 minutes, but you have to take a train to get there and back. I think he wants to eat and get to a meeting or whatever.

I'll check out the Italian place when I'm around there. Thanks

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
15 minutes, but you have to take a train to get there and back. I think he wants to eat and get to a meeting or whatever.

I'll check out the Italian place when I'm around there. Thanks

True. If he's in a rush, then my rec doesn't do much good. However, if he has a whole day in Chicago as a vacation-ey type thing, I'd say go for it. Walk past Wrigley Field, etc, and see some other things on the way.
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Care to name said establishment?

Fornello Trattoria, IIRC. Don't trust anything on their website, it's the most unreliable website ever created. The food is just decent Americanized-Italian. Nothing out of this world, but it is solid and good for the price. There is some nice outdoor seating. Also, they sell pizza by the slice. $3.00 for a slice, and a "slice" is actually 1/2 a medium pizza. If you want a really great Italian place, and don't mind paying a little more, like up to 40 or 50 a head, go to Riccardo Trattoria. We had a SF meetup there, and it was worth every cent.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
True. If he's in a rush, then my rec doesn't do much good. However, if he has a whole day in Chicago as a vacation-ey type thing, I'd say go for it. Walk past Wrigley Field, etc, and see some other things on the way.

Fornello Trattoria, IIRC. Don't trust anything on their website, it's the most unreliable website ever created. The food is just decent Americanized-Italian. Nothing out of this world, but it is solid and good for the price. There is some nice outdoor seating. Also, they sell pizza by the slice. $3.00 for a slice, and a "slice" is actually 1/2 a medium pizza. If you want a really great Italian place, and don't mind paying a little more, like up to 40 or 50 a head, go to Riccardo Trattoria. We had a SF meetup there, and it was worth every cent.

Thanks bro. The closer the better. Really only have tomorrow night off and that is reserved for the Map Room. No debate. Anything worth going to in that neck of the woods at night on a Tuesday?

I also have to go to Manny's again for lunch sometime. Not sure when.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Thanks bro. The closer the better. Really only have tomorrow night off and that is reserved for the Map Room. No debate. Anything worth going to in that neck of the woods at night on a Tuesday?

I also have to go to Manny's again for lunch sometime. Not sure when.

If you're talking food, then hell yes there is. The Bristol is very close to there. From the Map Room, walk one block east to Damen, then four blocks north just past Shakespeare Ave (2152 Damen). They've been open for about a year and are very popular. I've been there 10 or 12 times. Every time the food has been great. If you go, you have to get the duck fat fries, the bone marrow, and the cheese board (might be a lot to handle if you're in Chicago alone). They're open until 10, but don't take reservations. It fills up pretty quick with locals, so if you really are interested, try going either early or late. By 830 or 9, it should start to get empty again since Wednesday is a work day.

If you're talking something non-food related, my opinion is worthless and has little value.

BTW:::::::: Map Room only takes cash nowadays. Just FYI.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're talking food, then hell yes there is. The Bristol is very close to there. From the Map Room, walk one block east to Damen, then four blocks north just past Shakespeare Ave (2152 Damen). They've been open for about a year and are very popular. I've been there 10 or 12 times. Every time the food has been great. If you go, you have to get the duck fat fries, the bone marrow, and the cheese board (might be a lot to handle if you're in Chicago alone). They're open until 10, but don't take reservations. It fills up pretty quick with locals, so if you really are interested, try going either early or late. By 830 or 9, it should start to get empty again since Wednesday is a work day.

If you're talking something non-food related, my opinion is worthless and has little value.

BTW:::::::: Map Room only takes cash nowadays. Just FYI.

I met the woman who owns the Map Room and she is an absolute dear. She runs a great bar with a terrific beer selection (it was even mentioned in a New York Times article on the rise of beer bars in Chicago).

The Bristol is a fine, fine restaurant - a true "gastro pub".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads