• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chet Baker

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
the soundtrack to Let's Get Lost (below) is one of my favorite albums ever. i've also loved the early vocal recordings that i've heard. besides that i've only listened to his album with piero umiliani, which was surprisingly just ok. what else should i get?
6a00d83451b1b869e20120a4ea5f15970b-320wi

cimabue

Reaction score
That was a great movie.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chet Baker Quartet plays standards recorded in Paris in 1956 its available on Gitanes Jazz Productions

its all instrumental but I think its the best thing he ever did. Love it!

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody named Chet anymore
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Dr. Mabuse

Reaction score
His only "must own" stuff is the Pacific Jazz stuff he did with the Mulligan Quartet.

He never really reached that level again, all though some of his solo stuff on Riverside makes for good background music whilst nodding off on the horse.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great late period Baker album is "No Problem", recorded in Denmark with the late great Irving "Duke" Jordan on piano (from Charlie Parker's classic 1947 - 1948 quintet), Nils Hennig Oersted-Pederson on bass (a long-time Oscar Peterson sideman) and Norman Fearrington on drums.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my favorite things written about Chet Baker: "So, while most jazz albums of the period include, at best, five long instrumentals, Chet Baker Sings is made up of eighteen two-and-one-half-minute cuts—played and sung without any of the popular signifiers of "jazz expression." There is no vibrato, no "beautiful" singing, and no "strong" statement. There are no extended solos, no range dynamics, no volume dynamics, no tempo dynamics, no expressive timbre shifts, no suppression of extant melodics, no harmonic meandering, no virtuoso high-speed scales, and, in fact, very few sixteenth-notes—none of that stuff, in short, that told jazz critics of the time what the player was doing and how "good" he was at it. All you got was the song—dispassionately articulated with lots of spaces—swinging to be sure, but played mid-tempo and mid-range, shot through with melodic and rhythmic nuance that defied notation or interpretation. Baker's album, then, was a totally other form of expression for its time. Its only contemporary aesthetic analogy was in the cool economy and intellectual athletics of long-board surfing—another lost art of living in real time that may be coming back." Dave Hickey, Air Guitar

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics