Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

CHESTER MOX Bespoke Leather Goods - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chester Mox Leather Goods, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Chester Mox Leather Goods

Chester Mox Leather Goods Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

Dear StyleForum Members,

My name is Bellanie Salcedo and I’m a leather artisan. My husband and I craft handmade leather goods in our atelier located in Monterey Park, California.

My husband, Brandon, has been involved in the leather industry since his younger years. He introduced me to leather crafting in the early 2000’s and since then I have been crafting nonstop. Everyday I tried to perfect my craft and I’ve been lucky enough to have had some of the best mentors to guide me in the right direction through the years. Needles & threads are now a part of my daily life, along with the rest of my tools sitting on my working table.

Every product we craft is hand sewn using the traditional method known as saddle stitching, which involves the use of two needles sharing one strand of thread. Both needles enter the same hole, one from the back and the other through the front, creating a “knot” at the center point. A seam created with this technique is very durable; even if one stitch fails, the rest of the thread won’t unravel. Additionally, the aesthetic look of such work is very attractive and desirable. The edges on all of our products are hand painted, burnished, and polished by hand.

Our materials include calf skins, French Chèvre (goat leather), and exotics such as crocodile, alligator and lizard hides.

We specialize in bespoke leather goods, and we welcome the opportunity to create any project(s) you may have in mind. I regularly produce drawings/sketches, and offer overall advice on custom ideas that might help you visualize your creation before moving forward to make sure everything is as you want it. I also can provide ballpark quotes so that you know what you are looking at before making a decision. Additionally to this, we have our regular styles available on our website, www.chestermox.com which you can personalize to your liking. We offer different types of leather, threads, and even hot stamping personalization.

I will be posting progress work as well as finished bespoke products and/or available leathers for your consideration. Any feedback is always highly appreciated. And if you have any inquiries, please don’t hesitate to email us at [email protected]

Thank you very much for all your time and I look forward to be part of the Forum!

Sincerely,
    Bellanie Salcedo

2. Chester Mox Leather Goods

UmbilicalScar.jpg
    This wallet was handcrafted with a vertical cut American alligator belly in canary yellow classic finish. Saddle stitched using daffodil Fil Au Chinois linen thread.

TrancheSlots.jpg
    Detail of the interior, featuring 6 tranchè/sliced pockets and 1 open ID window.

InteriorDetail.jpg
    Detail of the gusseted coin pouch, fully lined with matching sea blue French Chèvre.

SnapPouch.jpg
    Putting the coin pouch together...

WrappedSnap.jpg
    Wrapping the snap with matching French Chèvre leather.

3. Superglu

Superglu Member

Welcome to the forum Bellanie! I learned about your goods from Derek's rave reviews in Put This On and Die Work Wear, and I probably speak for many when I say that if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. :wink:

Two questions related to the new Italian shell cordovan wallet featured on PTO today: 1) I've been using a cardholder for the longest time so I'm a bit wary of moving back into bifolds. How is the thickness on this wallet? 2) Do you have any recommendations for shell/chevre color combinations that are interesting but not too crazy? Thanks in advance!

4. Chester Mox Leather Goods

Thank you very much for your warm welcome! Yes, Derek is too kind! I'm very grateful for all the support, his and everybody else's.

1) The thickness of this #54 model is actually on the slim side for a wallet of this style. We craft it in a way to minimize the thickness without compromising the structure. I would say, this style is about 1/4" thick when empty and closed. It fits comfortably in either front or back pockets. I honestly don't see a huge difference (in regard of size) between this model and a standard card case. However, functionality wise, it works much better, in my opinion.
    2) If you don't want to go too crazy, you can choose matching leathers; for example, the sample combo shown at PTO (umber brown w/ dark brown French Chevre), or even navy Shell with navy Chevre, etc. are very traditional combinations. If you want to add a touch of contrast, you can do so by choosing a lighter thread. So for the umber brown Shell, I would say choose a coffee linen thread for a semi-contrast look, or ecru linen thread for a full contrast look. Additionally to that, I can suggest a semi-contrast combo such as Black/Taupe or Navy/Black. For what it's worth, Black/Yellow is a very popular combo as well as Black/Electric blue. Navy/Mandarina is also quite favored. I understand that all of these lasts ones may be a bit too contrasting for your taste, but they are very nice combinations and I think they are worth a look.
    Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

Bellanie

5. Chester Mox Leather Goods

Alligator-Seablue.jpg

Detail of bespoke card case with two card pockets on each side and a middle compartment. Hand crafted using skyblue Shrunken calf and grey Heng Long classic glazed American alligator. Saddle stitched using seablue polyester thread. The edges were painted with custom-match seablue paint, and hand burnished until slick smooth.

SeaBlueGator-Pockets.jpg

Our pockets are cut as full length, and the grey Heng Long American alligator pocket was cut from the belly section. We hand skived the edges down to its thinnest, but without harming the whole structure of the wallet, to give a thin edge in the finished product. This particular wallet was personalized with matte silver hot stamping.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

What is your most durable leather and would it be possible to get a card case made without the sides skivved? I find that that part makes the leather tear most easily. I'm probably harder on my stuff than most people, so I understand that this may be an unusual request.

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Great to see you guys on StyleForum!

Bellanie takes much better photos than I do, so hopefully the quality of her work comes through a bit better via this thread.

8. Chester Mox Leather Goods

Absolutely, we can make it happen. I would say most of our leathers are very durable but if I had to choose one, I would go with Chevre for a card case. This leather is crazy resistant and somewhat waterproof. It is semi aniline so the color remains very constant through the lifespan of the wallet. Another great option would be Shell Cordovan... Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

Bellanie

9. Chester Mox Leather Goods

Thank you! We are very happy to be here!

You are too kind! I will definitely try my best to deliver :)

Bellanie

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think maybe the chevre. I've found that shell cordovan is very durable until... it's not, and then it tears like a cheap paper bag. I'll have a look at the options. Incidentally, what are the lead times in the next month or two?

11. Chester Mox Leather Goods

Chèvre is a very good option if that's the case. In regard of the shell, to be honest, this is the first time I hear about the tearing issue. I myself received several wallets for re-stitching after years of use and the Shell was still in pretty good shape. I'm assuming you may have received a defective piece?

The current lead time is 2-2 1/2 weeks.

Thank you!

Bellanie

12. Chester Mox Leather Goods

Introducing #54 Italian Shell Cordovan compact wallet with fully lined French Chèvre interior. It features 2 vertical slots on each side and 2 concealed compartments. Regular price for this item is $250, but we are currently offering a $75 discount. Please check-out with discount code "ShellDisc" on our website: www.chestermox.com

* Please note that the discount only applies to Italian Shell Cordovan style #54 *
    ** The discount promotion ends on July 26th, 2017 **

We have many shades of Shells and French Chèvre available, in different customizable combinations, please visit the product page for details. Additionally, I received some feedback that my website is a bit confusing, my apologies (working on it).

So here's the instructions if this is the case: When you get to the product page, first click on the "Shell/Chevre" button, then select the "PERSONALIZE IT" tab to build the wallet your way! If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm more than happy to help! =)

Here are some photos of how the wallet looks like...

StyleForum4.jpg

As shown in Umber-brown Italian Shell against dark brown French Chèvre and saddle stitched with Navy Fil Au Chinois linen thread.

StyleForum1.jpg

Detail photo of the interior with matte gold foil company's logo. No Logo option is always available under the "PERSONALIZE IT" tab.

StyleForum3.jpg

Edges are hand painted. Burnished and polished until slick smooth.

StyleForum2.jpg

A different angle of the interior.

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

How does the Waprolux calf age? Intrigued.

14. Chester Mox Leather Goods

Hello Frank,

Our Waprolux calf leather is sourced from one of the oldest European tanneries (almost 170 years old) and they make exceptional quality leather skins. This particular calf is semi-aniline, which if you don't already know, means that the leather was coated with a thin protective layer that makes it water and scratch resistant. Additionally to that, the color remains pretty much the same throughout the life of the product. Wearing wise, it wears exceptionally well! Like I mentioned previously, it's virtually scratch-resistant and easy to clean. Unlike other leathers, Waprolux hold the shape of the article very well since it has a firm nature that gets softer with use.

I hope this helps. In any case please let me know should you have any additional question, I'm more than happy to assist you.

Have a nice night!

Bellanie

15. Chester Mox Leather Goods

Keeping up with the spirit of the conversation about Waprolux calf leather, please allowed me to share my latest bespoke project using this beautiful leather in Navy color against Mandarina French Chèvre leather. The wallet is fully-lined and it features tranché or sliced & angle-cut traditional pockets. Saddle stitched with Navy & Mandarina Fil Au Chinois linen thread.

Bespoke1-Waprolux.jpg

Frontal view of the finished bifold wallet...

Bespoke2-Waprolux.jpg

Detail of the left hand side interior.

Bespoke3-Waprolux.jpg
    And shown here is the right hand side interior showcasing two different linen thread colors.

Bespoke4-Waprolux.jpg

Photo of the wallet while under construction.