1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chester Jeffries

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Aug 25, 2009.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'm surprised we don't have a dedicated Chester Jeffries thread. Maybe there are fewer customers of theirs here than I expected. http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk/ I haven't ordered in nearly three years and need new gloves for this fall and winter. I was thinking of

The Snowden in tan or mahogany suede lambskin with lambswool interior
    [​IMG]

and one of these with either a wool, cashmere/wool, or chamois lining for fall:

Paris in light brown Cape
    [​IMG]

Man About Town in light brown Cape
    [​IMG]

The Kensington in dark tan or mink deerskin
    [​IMG]

Any recommendations? Who here has used Chester Jeffries?

2. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

I did, last fall. I ordered the Man About Town in peccary. The process was fairly straightforward, and I was able to make good use of the gloves.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

What lining did you get? I've only ordered fur before (both for myself and for a few gifts).

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I've gotten a few pairs from them over the years. They do a solid job making slightly rustic, well-fitting gloves. I would err on the tighter size of self-measurements as they will stretch a bit. Also, pay the nominal extra for the hand-stitching.

5. wilhelm

wilhelm Well-Known Member

I got a pair from them last year. The Oxford, only in black, with wool lining:

[​IMG]

The buttoned design prevents snow from getting into the glove.

This year I'll be ordering an unlined pair in black, a wool lined pair in dark brown, and a pair of these:

[​IMG]

6. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

What lining did you get? I've only ordered fur before (both for myself and for a few gifts).

Mine was unlined. I believe that is the only option for peccary, but when ordering peccary, I prefer unlined anyway.

7. milosh

milosh Senior member

Man About Town
    [​IMG]

I have these in mocha brown cape with cashmere lining. I like them. They are my first "nice" gloves. There is a stitch or two that came a bit undone but I'm not going to bother sending them back because it doesn't bother me that much.

8. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I have a couple of gloves from them. They are nice and a great value. Also, the customer service is quite good. I wanted a pair in burgundy, and I didn't see that color available on the website. I e-mailed them my request and they told me that would not be a problem -- and they were right.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is the 'buffed hogskin' equivalent to peccary?

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I have a pair from last season- medium brown, rabbit fur lining. They're not world-beaters but are quite nice for the price.

So CHorse- has your opinion changed?

11. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I ordered a pair last summer -- the first of what I thought would be many. I did the whole self-measurement thing very carefully. I was looking forward to made-to-measure gloves. Off the rack gloves typically fit only my wrist/palm or my fingers, and rarely both.

They took payment and sent me a standard size. I was baffled, thinking I had ordered made-to-measure gloves. They did not fit so well. I wrote and asked what happened; did you take a made-to-measure order and fill it with a stock size? I asked. They said, yes, we just sent you a standard size. Return them if you want made to measure. I was pissed. I had the suspicion that they merely forgot to remove the standard size sticker from the gloves, and I figured they would just send back another pair in a standard size with no sticker on it. Something about their correspondence did not encourage trust on my part.

I kept the gloves, determined to cut my losses, and I did not order all the other gloves I was planning to get.

They were nice gloves. I soaked them in shoe stretching fluid and better molded them to my hand. I wore them for a month and lost them -- dropped on the ground, I guess -- as I got into a car in a blizzard.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Is the 'buffed hogskin' equivalent to peccary?

It's carpincho. http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk/sc...nformation.asp

I have a pair from last season- medium brown, rabbit fur lining. They're not world-beaters but are quite nice for the price.

So CHorse- has your opinion changed?

How do you mean? I still think they aren't the most durable. [​IMG]

13. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

14. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Can someone tell me the purpose of the 3 lines on the top of the glove?

15. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Perhaps this is a beginner's question, but I am thinking of getting my first set of leather gloves this fall/winter. Does one match the glove color to the jacket color? Both my peacoat and overcoat are black, so should I look for a black glove to match - I am trying to picture how a brown glove would look with a black coat and the mental image is jarring......

16. Clark

Clark Senior member

I got my peccary gloves from ebay at a price that was hard to beat w/good quality [​IMG] http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MEN-pecari-P...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Is that the TAN cognac color in the picture? A little bit confusing as some are listed as "TAN cognac" and some only "cognac". Also, how are they size wise? Because the listing says "S-XL (6.5,7,7.5,8)", and I'm usually an 8 which would be closer to small I guess. Thanks! /C (I'm choosing between these and a pair of Chester Jeffries, therefore the slight hijack).

17. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

[​IMG] So I had a bad experience with CJ / CJ customer service. Would it be so wrong to try them again?

18. KlezmerBlues

KlezmerBlues Senior member

Can someone tell me the purpose of the 3 lines on the top of the glove?

The purpose of the darts on the back of the glove is to provide a snug fit and somewhat help prevent stretching.

19. Robes of Executiveness

Robes of Executiveness Well-Known Member

They took payment and sent me a standard size. I was baffled, thinking I had ordered made-to-measure gloves.
    You need to send them an outline sketch of your hand for that.

I'm thinking of going through them, but want the most supple I can get, kidskin or chamois. I think cape is too rough. But waiting 7 weeks for hand sewn is a little pressing compare to 2 weeks for machine sewn.

20. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Ordered 8/30. Received 9/17. I ordered two pairs and used an old form from Chester Jeffries that showed the measurements they would need for a MTM pair. In the end, I got one pair that seems MTM and one RTW. They fit about the same. Nice gloves. Will try to snap pictures at some point.