Chester Jeffries

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Aug 25, 2009.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'm surprised we don't have a dedicated Chester Jeffries thread. Maybe there are fewer customers of theirs here than I expected. http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk/ I haven't ordered in nearly three years and need new gloves for this fall and winter. I was thinking of

The Snowden in tan or mahogany suede lambskin with lambswool interior
    [​IMG]

and one of these with either a wool, cashmere/wool, or chamois lining for fall:

Paris in light brown Cape
    [​IMG]

Man About Town in light brown Cape
    [​IMG]

The Kensington in dark tan or mink deerskin
    [​IMG]

Any recommendations? Who here has used Chester Jeffries?

2. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

I did, last fall. I ordered the Man About Town in peccary. The process was fairly straightforward, and I was able to make good use of the gloves.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

What lining did you get? I've only ordered fur before (both for myself and for a few gifts).

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I've gotten a few pairs from them over the years. They do a solid job making slightly rustic, well-fitting gloves. I would err on the tighter size of self-measurements as they will stretch a bit. Also, pay the nominal extra for the hand-stitching.

5. wilhelm

wilhelm Well-Known Member

I got a pair from them last year. The Oxford, only in black, with wool lining:

[​IMG]

The buttoned design prevents snow from getting into the glove.

This year I'll be ordering an unlined pair in black, a wool lined pair in dark brown, and a pair of these:

[​IMG]

6. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

What lining did you get? I've only ordered fur before (both for myself and for a few gifts).

Mine was unlined. I believe that is the only option for peccary, but when ordering peccary, I prefer unlined anyway.

7. milosh

milosh Senior member

Man About Town
    [​IMG]

I have these in mocha brown cape with cashmere lining. I like them. They are my first "nice" gloves. There is a stitch or two that came a bit undone but I'm not going to bother sending them back because it doesn't bother me that much.

8. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I have a couple of gloves from them. They are nice and a great value. Also, the customer service is quite good. I wanted a pair in burgundy, and I didn't see that color available on the website. I e-mailed them my request and they told me that would not be a problem -- and they were right.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Is the 'buffed hogskin' equivalent to peccary?

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I have a pair from last season- medium brown, rabbit fur lining. They're not world-beaters but are quite nice for the price.

So CHorse- has your opinion changed?

11. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I ordered a pair last summer -- the first of what I thought would be many. I did the whole self-measurement thing very carefully. I was looking forward to made-to-measure gloves. Off the rack gloves typically fit only my wrist/palm or my fingers, and rarely both.

They took payment and sent me a standard size. I was baffled, thinking I had ordered made-to-measure gloves. They did not fit so well. I wrote and asked what happened; did you take a made-to-measure order and fill it with a stock size? I asked. They said, yes, we just sent you a standard size. Return them if you want made to measure. I was pissed. I had the suspicion that they merely forgot to remove the standard size sticker from the gloves, and I figured they would just send back another pair in a standard size with no sticker on it. Something about their correspondence did not encourage trust on my part.

I kept the gloves, determined to cut my losses, and I did not order all the other gloves I was planning to get.

They were nice gloves. I soaked them in shoe stretching fluid and better molded them to my hand. I wore them for a month and lost them -- dropped on the ground, I guess -- as I got into a car in a blizzard.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Is the 'buffed hogskin' equivalent to peccary?

It's carpincho. http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk/sc...nformation.asp

I have a pair from last season- medium brown, rabbit fur lining. They're not world-beaters but are quite nice for the price.

So CHorse- has your opinion changed?

How do you mean? I still think they aren't the most durable. [​IMG]

13. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

14. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Can someone tell me the purpose of the 3 lines on the top of the glove?

15. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Perhaps this is a beginner's question, but I am thinking of getting my first set of leather gloves this fall/winter. Does one match the glove color to the jacket color? Both my peacoat and overcoat are black, so should I look for a black glove to match - I am trying to picture how a brown glove would look with a black coat and the mental image is jarring......