• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chester Jeffries - Paris

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get the Paris style from Chester Jeffries. http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk/sc...p?idproduct=20 How closely do you guys match your glove color to your shoe color? I am wondering if I need more than 1 pair that span the range from light to dark brown. Also, does anyone have any experience on which color offered on the palette on the Chester Jeffries site would work best with a merlot shoe? I just ordered an A-E McClain in merlot. Thanks!

Sanddog

Reaction score
Related question: if one is wearing brown shoes and a black overcoat, what color gloves should one wear? Brown gloves right next to the sleeves of a black coat seems like an unfortunate combination. Thoughts?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have asked this question before and the advice always has been to match the leathers - gloves match shoes. In case of casual gloves like woolens, it is ok to match the coat.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanddog
Related question: if one is wearing brown shoes and a black overcoat, what color gloves should one wear? Brown gloves right next to the sleeves of a black coat seems like an unfortunate combination. Thoughts?
The black overcoat is the problem. Grey or navy is more versatile. I don't worry too much about matching shades. Brown with brown is usually good enough.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't care about matching. In fact an outfit is more interesting if that is avoided.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
I wouldn't care about matching. In fact an outfit is more interesting if that is avoided.

+1

Those gloves are nice and sleek. I'd be interested in getting some.

Unfortunately, the color selection feature doesn't seem to work on a Mac in either Safari or Firefox.

TintinATL

Reaction score
I thought the same at first, but then I realized you have to choose a leather type (step 2) first. Then the color selection works just fine on Mac/Safari.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many colors, I have a hard time figuring the various shades of brown out. Need a better monitor or something......

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintinATL
I thought the same at first, but then I realized you have to choose a leather type (step 2) first. Then the color selection works just fine on Mac/Safari.

Aha! I thought maybe I was missing something, but didn't look outside the color swatch area.

There are some great colors there. I'd like to see the more risky colors in person, but for basic colors there's a lot of choice.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI the Paris is technically a ladies glove, according to the people at CJ, but they do make it for men and I don't think it matters.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI the Paris is technically a ladies glove, according to the people at CJ, but they do make it for men and I don't think it matters.
Winston, is there something about the styling that marks it as a ladies glove? From the pictures they looked sleek and nice and I couldn't locate any telltale signs that would indicate that it has some feminine characteristics that would look out of place on a male hand.

Sanddog

Reaction score

For what it's worth, when I asked them to recommend the glove / lining combination that had the greatest sense of touch (for manipulating keys, cell phone, etc. without removing the glove), they specifically recommended the Paris to me.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanddog
For what it's worth, when I asked them to recommend the glove / lining combination that had the greatest sense of touch (for manipulating keys, cell phone, etc. without removing the glove), they specifically recommended the Paris to me.

What lining did you end up getting? That's a decision I still have to make.... it doesn't get too cold here in Portland, just down into the 20s overnight usually.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Winston, is there something about the styling that marks it as a ladies glove? From the pictures they looked sleek and nice and I couldn't locate any telltale signs that would indicate that it has some feminine characteristics that would look out of place on a male hand.

I don't think it looks at all like a ladies glove (unlike, say, the Tiffany or the Princess). I thought the name sounded like it might have been chosen for a ladies glove and they did confirm that when I phoned them, but they said they often make it for men. I don't think it looks much different to the 'Man About Town'. I'm still planning to get a pair.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a pair of the Park Lane. Will report back once I received them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads