Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Chester barrie socks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bic Pentameter, May 19, 2004.

1. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I had an interesting experience here in Japan the other day.

I was browsing at my local discounter, a store that carries ties by Dunhill, Hermes, Lancel, and Bulgari and shoes by C&J, among others, and came across a pair of socks with "Chester Barrie" on the tag. They went for Y500 yen (about $4.50)

The label said something like "These socks were made in Japan by ABC Co. under license from the UK firm Chester Barrie."  

I started to pay more attention to the tags on other socks on the rack.  There were several well-known names, each made by ABC Co. with a similar label.

In contrast to the Chester Barrie label, a label on another brand said "These socks were made in Japan by  [the same ABC Co.] using technology transferred from [well-known UK firm]."   ABC Co. recieved a transfer of cutting edge toe linking technology, perhaps?

The socks seemed well enough constructed, and I thought it might be fun to have a Chester Barrie "piece" in my wardrobe (or in this case, sock drawer) but they were not over-the-calf, so I resisted.

Bic