• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chest hair the the open collared shirt. Yeaaa Baby!!!!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
161nomc.jpg

Yea Baby! Swinger!

Your Preference:
1. Full hair, no trimming, all macho natural
2. Trimmed.groomed
3. shaven
4. Crew Neck T Shirt

DandySF

Reaction score
The crew neck t-shirt under a dress shirt smacks of fussy and provincial tidiness. I much prefer to see a man wear a shirt without the visual intrusion of a t-shirt. I'm not sure whether I dislike more the people who wear the t-shirt or the t-shirt itself.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
The crew neck t-shirt under a dress shirt smacks of fussy and provincial tidiness. I much prefer to see a man wear a shirt without the visual intrusion of a t-shirt. I'm not sure whether I dislike more the people who wear the t-shirt or the t-shirt itself.

--It always strikes me as midwest Frat boy chic.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never wear an undershirt, unless it's under a wool sweater or something, but definitely not with a dress shirt or polo.

I trim my chest hair and also have started to get a decent natural tan from hanging outside a lot, so both of those things help.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, in hot sweltering climates, especially in the tropics, an undershirt is a must to absorb any excreted bodily fluids. So I have always stuck with deep v-neck undershirts for dress shirts/polos.

trogdor

Reaction score
Peak Lapels! Hacking pockets! Ticket pocket! Chest Hair! Good times!

From Vice Magazine's "DOs":
When hairy bald guys do that thing where they grow a goatee, shave their heads, and then put sunglasses on top of them to simulate bangs it makes them look ashamed of themselves. When guys do the exact opposite of all those things it makes you proud to be a dude.

main.jpg

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
166i3ro.jpg
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
Tog, Disco Baby! Yea

ted

Reaction score
Full hair, no trimming except maybe the eyebrows so I don't look like andy rooney from 60 minutes. Chest-back-shoulders everywhere.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Hmm, I guess I'm a heathen on this one. One the occasions when I go "business casual" at the office with an open-necked shirt I usually wear a t-shirt (sometimes colored although usually white - but worry not, drink, always a clean newish one) underneath. To my eye, it just looks cleaner and more professional than going commando. Plus, my wife likes it, which generally is not dispositive for me but isn't completely irrelevant either. I also find it more comfortable with many shirts.
Yes, I suppose it may have an element of fussiness about it, but don't many sartorial choices? I feel reasonably comfortable that nobody who has met me would ever think to describe me as "frat-boy chic" or "provincial" (and both my wife and my secretary would roll on the floor laughing at any attempt to use the word "tidiness" in reference to me).
I rarely wear polo shirts, but can't imagine wear a t-shirt under a polo.

I hear you. I find the idea of wearing a dress shirt without an undershirt vaguely vulgar, though I usually wear vnecks. To each his own, though.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always knew Ray Liotta was a patron of the arts.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T crew shirt = black suit
V Neck shirt = Navy / gray suit

of the undergarment, under open collar dress shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics