• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chest being let out?

Toronto34

Reaction score
Hi all,

Searched through the similar threads and seemed most of them were focused on taking in the chest and waist.

However just a quick question, about to purchase an isaia and an oxxford, but the chest is about an inch too small.

Can the chest be let out to make it a little more roomy providing all other measurements work?

ie. 22 chest when I need a 22.5?

Is that possible, and does it make sense?

Dont wanna ruin the blazers

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming there's enough material, then yes it can be done.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
It is completely, utterly, totally, and fully, impossible. Even if there would be cloth to let out in the underarm seam (and if you can show me a coat that does, I'll happily eat a needle) it can't be used since it would cause the armhole to be moved away from the arm. It would effectively ruin the sleeve.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not true, you can open up the sleeve at the armhole seam. We are talking about .25" on both sides here. I've had it done. Eat a needle.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
A quarter inch on each side. Yes, can be done. Thought OP was talking about more to let out. What you mean, comes down to reducing the seam from 1 cm to .5 cm inlay. Which is possible, sure. And pretty useless too.

Toronto34

Reaction score
Why is it useless to let out 0.5 inch on both sides for a better fit?

Martin Stall

Reaction score
In that area, the difference will be less easy to notice than for instance hip or waist. When extra chest width is needed, it's usually behind the arm where it matters most. You're basically just moving the front vertical line of the sleevehead away from center a little. To really add to the chest, the neckpoint should ideally also be changed. It's simply rather big operation for the result it gives once a coat is fully finished.

dmac

Reaction score
I have had it done on several jackets by my alterations tailor and have been pleased with the results. It was a least .5 inches on each side any may have been closer to 1 inch.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Ok. For fear of unleashing the wrath of the internet god, I'll just shut up now, and go back to cutting a coat. Without inlay for letting the chest out. Cuz that is just impossible. But of course I'm a tailor, so what do I know. The internet is almighty, Martin, ain'tcha learnt nuttin?

dmac

Reaction score
Marty

It may not be advisable to let out the chest, but it is clearly it is possible to do so. I am happy with the results, but a tailor may view differently.

ls1dreams

Reaction score
What about the waist?

I'm in a situation where 38R's fit nicely in the waist, but the shoulders are too big.

36R's fit perfectly for shoulders, the chest is OK, but the waists are always too snug (I've tried like 7-8 brands now).

Am I better off going with a 38R and just dealing with slightly large shoulders or can I have a tailor let out the waist/chest on a 36R?

Ughhh

Martin Stall

Reaction score
I think the confusion is in terminology. You can not let out the chest because there is no cloth at the armhole to do so. You can add girth over the chest at the underarm seam, IF there is enough cloth which usually there isn't. But that is not the same as letting out the chest. That will only widen the armscye. I'll post a diagram later on today.

And the name's Martin
wink.gif

Letting out the waist is easy, if there is cloth etc. Depends on the maker. Might as well get the shoulders altered, if you have a good tailor in your area.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martin Stall
Ok. For fear of unleashing the wrath of the internet god, I'll just shut up now, and go back to cutting a coat. Without inlay for letting the chest out. Cuz that is just impossible. But of course I'm a tailor, so what do I know. The internet is almighty, Martin, ain'tcha learnt nuttin?
You're learning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads