• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chess

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I know some people here have to play chess. I am not that great but I enjoy it. I found a bar where I can play which is kind of cool.

I have recently purchased a few chess sets from House of Staunton and I love them. Best sets I have ever owned.

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/index.shtml

If you are going to buy someone a chess set as a gift get them a Staunton set of some sort not a Middle Earth or Gilligan's Island set. Staunton pieces are classic and if the person is playing chess they will most assuredly prefer a staunton set. The above site sells some weird ones I would never by and I wonder what the hell they are thinking sometimes.

Also I used to play a lot of chess here:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/

Which is a good site but bullet games can be addictive and bad for your chess game.

Anyone else have any other places to purchase nice sets or sites where they play(ed)?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
Also I used to play a lot of chess here:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/

Which is a good site but bullet games can be addictive and bad for your chess game.

Anyone else have any other places to purchase nice sets or sites where they play(ed)?

I play on RHP. Not often, but I enjoy it when I do.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my son plays. if he wants one of those 10K chess sets, he better get a good education, because I sure as hell am not buying him one.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I play whenever the occasion arrises.. The board I keep at home I purchased a while ago in prague, hand carved wood in a large size.. Pity not many people play chess within my circle of friends...

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
my son plays. if he wants one of those 10K chess sets, he better get a good education, because I sure as hell am not buying him one.
HAHAHA! I am not buying a 10K set either. If you want to get one I would suggest wait for a sale or get one off of eBay.

I purchased an Excalibur tournament chess set and the pieces were nice but the felt bottoms came off and the weights fell out. I still use the bag and board but have replaced the pieces.

tg_exc_755E_chess.jpg

If anyone gets or has a 10K chess set please let me know. I would like to know how you like it.

I know there was a million dollar one in the Robb Report in the early 80's. It looked like ****.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
I play whenever the occasion arrises.. The board I keep at home I purchased a while ago in prague, hand carved wood in a large size.. Pity not many people play chess within my circle of friends...
Is this a Staunton set or a fancy set? If it is Staunton it sounds like something I would like.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
Is this a Staunton set or a fancy set? If it is Staunton it sounds like something I would like.

Ill try to make pics, give me a few minutes..

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ill try to make pics, give me a few minutes..
I so want to post some pics but my girl took my camera and I will prob have to get another one just to take pics.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Our boy knows how to play but is not all that. I play okay but not great and likewise am not all that. The last time I watched some friends play they took HOURS, and I just do not play like that. So I have no chess partners.
frown.gif

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My camera is empty, but the phone still has 3.2mp which should be sufficient.. Here we go, bad lighting but the colors seem to come out allright..

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love chess. Ditto on not liking the themed sets. Pieces are just too hard to make out when a bishop looks like a duck, or a dog, etc. (Ducks v. Dogs for the avid huntsman was the last theme set I saw heh)

I have a wood set I got from a resale shop for 1 dollar. Works great for me.

I have to say though, I have always wanted the pewter Star Trek set...but I'm a massive Trekkie so...

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I play. Many years ago, pre-computer, I played tournament.

Now, I mostly play against my portable hand-held chess computer.

If you want a truly interesting twist, play Chinese Chess. They are introductory books in English on the web. See generally - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiangqi

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My camera is empty, but the phone still has 3.2mp which should be sufficient.. Here we go, bad lighting but the colors seem to come out allright..

Thank you nootje. That is a nice set. I would buy and play with that set.
fing02[1].gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to play tournament chess seriously in high school, many years ago. The go-to place for standard equipment like Staunton sets was the US Chess Federation (USCF). You don't need to be a member to buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads