• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chess

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite site was SchemingMind.com. They implemented play by mail chess, not over the board chess. Wake up in the morning, check and see which games you are playing have had moves made, make your moves, and go off to your day. And they have an analysis board for you right there. Databases allowed, but no engines. Great chess, great people. Redhotpawn I tended to use for off-hand chess, but it was a good site, too: my second favorite.

Only in the last couple of years have I started playing live, in the Chicago Industrial League. My reaction was- hey, it's just like SchemingMind chess. There is nothing quite like being creamed by a Master or a Grandmaster.

The Chess House in Seattle or the web is a good place to buy sets. The cheap ones ($10) are really nice, actually, and great for presents for kids.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never written down my checkered chess history, here's more than you want to know: At age 13, I came in 2nd in my first tournament, the long island junior high school championships. I played in a number of the nyc tournaments at the hotel McAlpin, tied for first with Fedorowicz in one of them (before he was a gm) and managed a national ranking for under 14. We moved just as I entered high school (don't do this to your kids if you can help it, believe me its no fun to lose all your friends at age 13) to a school without a chess program so I played very little through high school. I played college tennis so there was no time for chess. In my junior year, some of the guys in my dorm decided to play in the university championship. It seems funny now but the president of the chess club accused me of cheating (though he couldn't say how) and they refused to give me the winners trophy. Later they figured out why an unknown had beat all of them, asked me to play on the college team but I had no real interest after they accused me of cheating. By winning I was given an automatic entry to a stong local tournament. I figured I should brush up on opening theory and I started studying and playing a little. I came to realize I was a much stronger chess player than in my early teens I ended up losing to a master on time in a strong attacking position in the championship game. After we analyzed the game he suggested with more study, I could play at that level. After that game I didn't play a game of chess for 18 years. Now I play occasionally online with my kids, I think the best place to play is www.freechess.org and yes, I think the staunton is the best model of set. best, vp ps I forgot the best part of the whole chess experience. When I'm at work at management meetings someone invariably asks us for a tidbit about ourselves from outside the workplace. My standard reply is that I beat someone who beat bobby fisher...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure

I think the best place to play is www.freechess.org and yes, I think the staunton is the best model of set.

The Staunton is the classic chess set and FICS (FreeChess.org) is probably the best (in my experience) place to play. But dont play with Jin, dowload the babaschess interface.

I am hopelessly addicted to the game.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Anyone who is on RHP and wants to play, my profile name on there is the same as it is here.
I'll warn you, I suck though.

I could probably take vinouspleasure though. He sounds pretty bad.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Anyone who is on RHP and wants to play, my profile name on there is the same as it is here.
I'll warn you, I suck though.

I could probably take vinouspleasure though. He sounds pretty bad.

I just registered on thyat site due to this forums endorsement. I'll play a match with you. I started playing about a month ago, my end-game is really bad but you might have to pay attention to beat me.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
I just registered on thyat site due to this forums endorsement. I'll play a match with you. I started playing about a month ago, my end-game is really bad but you might have to pay attention to beat me.

Sweet, I just set the game up.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Dont make me checkmate you in TWO moves.

laugh.gif

When I first started playing seriously, my dad used to do that trick all the time. I got so caught up in trying to think about what move to make and all the theories and whatnot, I forgot the most important one--- Protect, protect, protect.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
I've never written down my checkered chess history, here's more than you want to know:

ps I forgot the best part of the whole chess experience. When I'm at work at management meetings someone invariably asks us for a tidbit about ourselves from outside the workplace. My standard reply is that I beat someone who beat bobby fisher...

That is awesome
fight[1].gif

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fedorowicz kicked ****** last July, in a simul. I ended up being the last player standing by playing a closed Kings Indian defense and defending, defending, defending. After the others dropped, Fedorwicz sat down and they put us on the clock with 5 minutes each. A local paper's photographer caught a shot of us on the clock with most of the board showing. I look at it now, and there it is in all its glory: drop the queen or mate in one.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

You have a new game awaiting. . .

I haven't played in probably 15 years (since I was 10-ish)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
You have a new game awaiting. . .

I haven't played in probably 15 years (since I was 10-ish)

It's all good, b/c I'm pretty bad, as you can see from my rating AND you'll find out quickly enough.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
Fedorowicz kicked ****** last July, in a simul. I ended up being the last player standing by playing a closed Kings Indian defense and defending, defending, defending. After the others dropped, Fedorwicz sat down and they put us on the clock with 5 minutes each. A local paper's photographer caught a shot of us on the clock with most of the board showing. I look at it now, and there it is in all its glory: drop the queen or mate in one.
That's terrific! I've never played a simul but I knew a Russian master who said the key is to set a five move (or more) trap. The gm is moving quickly through the boards and may miss the trap. I've always been amazed at kolty's record of 50 wins and 6 draws while playing a simultaneous exhibition. Blindfolded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads