• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chess books

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
also for non opening books,

Simple Chess not sure who the author is

is a great book on strategy,planning. very good book, small book though

my favorite all-time chess book is Chess Curiosities (forgot the author
too)

anybody read this before? this is the most entertaining chess book i have ever read, very informative, alot of peculiar curiosities about chess, interesting history, stories, games , legends, myths, etc.
it is an old book , i borrowed from the library when i was in college. i am trying to find a copy to buy in the store or online.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to play quite a lot in high school and university, but now only play a few times a year. I hope to teach my son how to play chess when he's a bit older (he's only just turned two).

Whilst it's not a book on how to play, I read "Bobby Fischer Goes to War" a couple of years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Subtitled "How the Soviets lost the most important chess match of all time", it details Fischer's somewhat turbulent rise to the top of international chess, and as the title would indicate, devotes considerable detail to Fischer's triumph in the 1972 championship.

I must say that prior to reading the book I didn't know a great deal about Fischer - I knew that he was somewhat eccentric and that he was a naturally gifted chess player. However, I didn't realise that he was such an - to put it simply - arsehole.

Anyway, I'd recommend the book to anyone interested in the recent history of chess and also interested in the tactics used by Fischer and Spassky in the most famous chess game of all time.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to play in tournaments and such as a kid, but it was yet another activity that fell by the way-side as I concentrated more and more on music growing up. Still play for fun every once in a while--a good exercise for the brain. Who's everyone's favorite player? Mine is Tal, with Bronstein a close 2nd.

koji

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not play anymore. No time, really, and when I do play, it's depressing. I was once a decent player. I know well enough to see how much my game has atrophied, and I can't bear to watch myself play.

Once upon a time I spent an hour studying for every hour playing. Most of the studying hours were going over games. I'd cover the forthcoming moves and not reveal each one until I had thoroughly analyzed the situation and had some idea of the range of possible choices. This is a great pleasure, but who has the time for such meditations today? Not me. Perhaps when I retire.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I used to play, and used to study a bit, too. Eventually the addiction faded somewhat, but I think if I started playing regularly again, it'd be back in no time.

Interestingly, what I miss most aren't the long, involved, complicated games that I used to love. What I miss, even though I only rarely used to play it, is speed chess (5 min or less on each clock) for money. That was a thrill.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I used to play, and used to study a bit, too. Eventually the addiction faded somewhat, but I think if I started playing regularly again, it'd be back in no time.

Interestingly, what I miss most aren't the long, involved, complicated games that I used to love. What I miss, even though I only rarely used to play it, is speed chess (5 min or less on each clock) for money. That was a thrill.

Ever play those guys down in Washington Park in Philly?

koji

johninla

Reaction score
has no one mentioned the Immortal Game: history of chess by david shenk? it's really a good read.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
So who plays here?

I like to play, but I'm horrible. I play around 2500. Oh, my side hurts.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Ever play those guys down in Washington Park in Philly?

I actually don't think I've played chess against a non-computer opponent since I moved here. Kind of sad. I watch guys play in Rittenhouse Square sometimes, but I haven't joined in.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I actually don't think I've played chess against a non-computer opponent since I moved here. Kind of sad. I watch guys play in Rittenhouse Square sometimes, but I haven't joined in.

Beware--they're good and good at hustling.

koji

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Beware--they're good and good at hustling.

That much, I've gathered by watching.
laugh.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Who's everyone's favorite player? Mine is Tal, with Bronstein a close 2nd.

koji

My favorite eccentric players are Tal and Morphy. two pure geniuses with spectacularly brilliant and mind boggling tactics out of nowhere. Tal is a big risk taker and I like that about him.

One story I read about Tal in a tournament he made a complete blunder by placing his knight en prise in full sight. However, he never changed his look, and because of that, his strong opponent thought it had got to be a trick of some kind , did not take the knight. Tal afterwards said he sweating and totally relieved he did not take his knight as that would be the end to the game.

Also he was such an eccentric in person as well; he had bad health and when he was hospitalized once for his kidneys failing, he snuck out to the local bar to play chess , and the hospital had to send police to go grab him and drag him back to the hospital.

My favorite SOLID players are Karpov and Petrosian.
These two players if I were to play like someone, I would like to play like them. Solid, powerful, unbreakable, methodical .

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Good call on Morphy. Some of his classic games are just works of art.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Karpov and Petrosian always bored me, despite their obviously amazing gifts--I just am more temperamentally inclined to appreciate the more sacrificial styles of Tal, Alekhine, Keres (before he switched to positional chess), Morphy, Bronstein, etc. The "solid" players that I do enjoy are Cabablanca (so elegant) Fischer (obviously) and Lasker.

koji

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads