• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chemex Brewer

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got one of these. Does anyone else use? Like? A little labor intensive, but I'm okay with that.

2008_01_29-Chemex.jpg

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I thought about it but I'm sure I'd break it sooner or later.

I just ordered a Melitta "Ready Set Joe Filter Cone" for a cup-at-a-time coffee, it's plastic and dishwasher safe ($3 + #2 cone filters). Will let you know how it goes.

arced

Reaction score
I have one and use it everyday. I think it's near perfect. It brews great coffee and the right amount. Getting the official filters is a bit of a pain and more expensive than other filter systems, but the coffee is so nice and smooth. Unfortunately, it's breakable, so we're on our third one. Oh well, they're plentiful on eBay and the 'vintage' ones are thicker than the current models.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arced
I have one and use it everyday. I think it's near perfect. It brews great coffee and the right amount. Getting the official filters is a bit of a pain and more expensive than other filter systems, but the coffee is so nice and smooth. Unfortunately, it's breakable, so we're on our third one. Oh well, they're plentiful on eBay and the 'vintage' ones are thicker than the current models.

+1 Love the look & use it every day. What do you pay for filters? A box lasts awhile, and I'm always stickershocked when I need to get another one ($8+?
confused.gif
) I noticed that Porto Rico has them for $6-ish, so will get these.....

arced

Reaction score
I live in a small town and I can't get the filters locally, so I've been ordering them online. Lately it's been Sweet Maria's for them, but I ordered 5 boxes last time so I don't think I'll have to order again soon. I love the Chemex, but even more so since I got a good grinder.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filter users ... I prefer to brew via filter-less methods, but if you're using one try the non-bleached variety or a gold mesh filter. Filters remove much of the natural oils in coffee that provide its richness.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought about it in the past, but decided against it since I would have to put it by my stove where it would collect hard to clean grease. Since purchasing Goo GoneÂ
00ae.png
, my days of worrying about grease buildup are over. I am not ready to buy a Chemex.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arced
Oh well, they're plentiful on eBay and the 'vintage' ones are thicker than the current models.

Really? For something made famous by it's design, I'm surprised they would make a sacrifice like that.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
Filter users ... I prefer to brew via filter-less methods, but if you're using one try the non-bleached variety or a gold mesh filter. Filters remove much of the natural oils in coffee that provide its richness.
Is there a gold tone filter that fits the Chemex? I wasn't able to find one when I was researching buying one. Chemex are great but the need to buy the filters, similar to the Aeropress, is an annoyance. I stick with a french press.

arced

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Really? For something made famous by it's design, I'm surprised they would make a sacrifice like that.

I'm not absolutely sure, but when I've seen them in stores (like Peet's coffee in the Bay Area), the new ones seem thinner. Still, that hasn't stopped my wife from breaking two vintage ones. I guess the big advantage of eBay is that they're cheaper there.

pajames

Reaction score
I've used one for about 30 years and it makes the best coffee. The filters aren't cheap but well worth it. I find them readily around Pittsburgh and they can always be had from Sweet Maria's

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been enjoying mine, and the coffee is tasty, but it really doesn't have any balls. It might just be the beans I'm using, but the coffee tastes almost too clean/smooth. Just for ***** I tasted the unfiltered water while it was brewing. That was disgusting.

My impression is that it makes good coffee that I could drink a ton of, but it couldn't be the only coffee I drink.

Bartolo

Reaction score
That seems essentially the same as our Melita filter system, only the Melita is plastic. I enjoy the coffee from it much more than from my auto drip machine, mostly because I can pour 200+ degree F water through the grounds.

The Melita uses standard #4 filters which are very cheap.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
After a week with Melitta "Ready Set Joe Filter Cone" (cup-at-a-time) I'm pretty happy. Tastes better than drip machine and not as chalky/heavy as french press. I have to fill the grounds with water twice for a 12 oz coffee mug so it takes 2 mins total. No need to watch the clock like french press. Instructions say it's dishwasher safe (top rack) but the bottom warped a little bit so it wobbles slightly sitting on top of the cup. But for $3 I can live with that.

I think the acid content is higher from the boiling water. My teeth have been sensitive lately, and this doesn't help. I'll need to experiment more with grind coarseness and water temperature (using medium roast beans from costco or trader joes). I might go back to a drip coffeemaker for everyday coffee and use the melitta cone for those few times I want mind blowing coffee.

arced

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
I think the acid content is higher from the boiling water. My teeth have been sensitive lately, and this doesn't help. I'll need to experiment more with grind coarseness and water temperature (using medium roast beans from costco or trader joes). I might go back to a drip coffeemaker for everyday coffee and use the melitta cone for those few times I want mind blowing coffee.

What type of a grinder do you have? The grinder is probably more important than the brewing method. For me, the biggest step up was getting a good grinder off of craigslist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads