• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea's with this outfit? or is it too much?

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Are the chelseas too dressy in this combination? If so, what would other shoe would work here besides a classic tennis shoe?

Thank you for your input.

11sw4.jpg

23uw.jpg

34ay1.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Something like these

br333741-02qlv01.jpg

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this outfit would only work for trendy places like clubs. Also, a navy or dark green polo without the collar popped is so much better

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
I think this outfit would only work for trendy places like clubs. Also, a navy or dark green polo without the collar popped is so much better

I am guessing those are stock photos taken off of a store's website, not his actual shirt/jeans on him. That said, I think chelseas work, though something a bit more rugged (think Varvatos, maybe) could work better, that or a casual loafer, like the one JET suggested (or if you want to do it up, maybe Tods, or the like). Though there are better shoes for the outfit, I really like those boots, just on their own, whose are they?

viking_mike

Reaction score
i don't like the idea of it, but of course i can't really tell what the jeans look like. imo boots such as those should only be worn with slimmer jeans that are either straight leg or tapered, i don't think it would look very good with what *appears* to be a bootcut jean that is a slightly fuller fit...but then again i can't make out the fit of the jeans very well in that pic

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots don't look good with bootcut jeans?

But anyway, I think the combination is alright.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kinda wore something similar today, kinda. It was a brown vneck sweater with a white polo underneath, jeans, and some chelsea's i got on sale at BR for like $50. I kinda feel like it was too much brown, but one of my friends told me its one of her fav of my outfits, so...

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DGP, Gieves & Hawkes chelsea. Quite an interesting last, wouldn't you say?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, a $390 boot

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
DGP, Gieves & Hawkes chelsea. Quite an interesting last, wouldn't you say?

I really like the toe on those, and I like the leather too. If PG2G is right, and they are almost $400, too much for my casual shoes, but I must say, I think it's a pretty good looking boot. And, before you even said G&H, I was going to guess, by the shape, that they were English, maybe even something by Loakes, but wasn't positive.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I am guessing those are stock photos taken off of a store's website, not his actual shirt/jeans on him. That said, I think chelseas work, though something a bit more rugged (think Varvatos, maybe) could work better, that or a casual loafer, like the one JET suggested (or if you want to do it up, maybe Tods, or the like). Though there are better shoes for the outfit, I really like those boots, just on their own, whose are they?
You are right that I grabbed these pictures off of a website to throw the outfit together. I have the same shirt, but not the same jeans although the ones I have look very similar.

Now that I look at it more, I do feel the chelseas are a bit much. I like those shoes that JET suggested.

The boots are Gieves & Hawkes and unfortunately are almost $400. I love their look though.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't go with brown chelseas with a brown polo but that's just my opinion, I'm fairly certain that many posters on this board would feel perfectly comfortable with that combo.

Personally I think black chelseas would work ok with that combination, and I often wear chelseas (well, assuming it's not summer) with polo and jeans.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the G&H chelseas. They look great. You can get the same quality on, IMO, a better last, from C&J. The look requires some real wear and clever polishing.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viking_mike
i don't think it would look very good with what *appears* to be a bootcut jean that is a slightly fuller fit..
boots won't look good with a bootcut, right.
dozingoff.gif

I second most of the comments made in this thread: too much brown. Dark green, sand, navy, pink, anything else but a brown polo.

!luc

viking_mike

Reaction score
well personally i hate bootcut/flared jeans, and i think they look terrible with slimmer boots. i think if you are gonna wear slim boot such as the one mentioned above a nice slim jean is in order.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads